Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

I've tried in earnest to find a thread on this hotel but cannot... please merge if I'm just being stupid here!

I'm looking at booking a Manchester hotel, only one night so not required to be the best experience ever. But I'm confused by this hotel. What brand is it? What elite benefits should I expect? It appears to be some random outlier.

I actually thought it was a Mercure hotel but I think I'm mixing two up.

Has anyone stayed here/any information?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
I've tried in earnest to find a thread on this hotel but cannot... please merge if I'm just being stupid here!

I'm looking at booking a Manchester hotel, only one night so not required to be the best experience ever. But I'm confused by this hotel. What brand is it? What elite benefits should I expect? It appears to be some random outlier.

I think it’s a conversion and new to Marriott. It looks a bit run down from the photos. I’ve always liked AC Salford Quays. Seems there a residence inn in Manchester and a Moxy too that look quite new. I’d go for one of these if the price is good.
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Moxy was my initial choice but it's the same price. The Residence Inn doesn't seem to be bookable at the moment, just saying it's new for March 2023.

I still am curious as to what brand exactly this hotel is though, particularly in terms of elite benefits.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

It is a weird one. Seems to have recently been Mercure, but no longer. They say a refurbishment is imminent, so maybe waiting for that to announce what brand ?

Strange.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Manchester Piccadilly Hotel is at 91 London Road, Manchester M1 2PG, England, United Kingdom. It had been Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa. Macdonald Hotels sold the property in November 2021:

https://www.hotelmanagement-network....yrood-zetland/

Manchester Piccadilly Hotel is now on Marriott.com / Marriott.co.uk without a brand:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...otel/overview/

When a hotel on Marriott.com does not show a brand, it normally means the hotel is expected to be renovated to the standards of a specific Mariott Bonvoy brand, but that this has not yet been completed. I would expect the Marriott Hotel & Resorts brand, based on the top line of the hotel's UK website.

Marriott has a similarly named hotel opening soon. Residence Inn Manchester Piccadilly is at 40 Laystall Street, Manchester M1 2JZ, England, United Kingdom.

Accor also has a similarly named hotel. Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel is at Portland Street, Manchester M1 4PH, England, United Kingdom. This is not the same hotel as the former Macdonald Hotel that's now on Marriott.com.
Coffeemadman likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 7, 2023 at 8:26 am
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:11 am
Original Poster

So it appears it’s likely to become a full Marriott then.

What would elites get if they booked a night tonight, for example? It seems strange to allow bookings but not actually be clear what you can expect.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
So it appears it’s likely to become a full Marriott then.

What would elites get if they booked a night tonight, for example? It seems strange to allow bookings but not actually be clear what you can expect.
Coffeemadman,

Technically, it's not yet affiliated with a "participating brand" in the Marriott Bonvoy program, so, technically, there would be no elite benefits under the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Programs Terms & Conditions.

The reality is likely to be much better. Full-service, non-luxury Marriott Bonvoy hotels without a lounge in the United Kingdom, regardless of brand, normally provide a full breakfast buffet or a full breakfast from the menu in the hotel restaurant to Platinum Elite members and above -- either as Welcome Gift choice or as an alternative under Guaranteed Lounge Access, depending on the brand. I would expect the same from Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, even before it's officially branded.

You could contact the hotel ahead of time by phone, email, or social media for their answer.

The hotel's Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/ManchesterPiccadillyHotel/ .

Once you've stayed there, please post to this thread with your elite experiences (breakfast, upgrade, Welcome Gift, etc.). Also, please post about breakfast/lounge access to MASTER THREAD: Executive Lounges Worldwide
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
My significant other stayed here a few months ago in January 2023, mainly for location close to the station. She highlighted that the hotel looks a bit old fashioned, room was a fairly basic but breakfast was a full English in the restaurant and she was happy with that. Unfortunately I can't add much else as the room rate included breakfast and she doesn't have status so there were no expectations.

I've no idea on the branding, as it turned up on the Marriott website and was very convenient for the station, which worked for us. The location was the main priority for us when booking: There are now quite a few Marriott choices in Manchester, and hence people can choose based on brand standards / minimum expectations / price.
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
If the OP is looking for a Marriott hotel in Manchester, they might consider the Marriott Victoria & Albert hotel. It is in a historic converted factory/mill building and has quite a bit of charm. It is somewhat off the path for many tourists, but Manchester operates a free city centre bus service from Piccadilly Station that will get you to the Marriott. Info on the free bus routes is here.

Other posters have referenced the non-Marriott Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel. I've stayed at this property a number of times both under it's current Mercure flag as well as it's previous Ramada Jarvis flag. While the location is perfect, the sound transmission between rooms, side to side as well as floor to floor, is horrible because of the way the interior walls meet the exterior windows.
Coffeemadman and Alawyer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecaarch
If the OP is looking for a Marriott hotel in Manchester, they might consider the Marriott Victoria & Albert hotel. It is in a historic converted factory/mill building and has quite a bit of charm. It is somewhat off the path for many tourists, but Manchester operates a free city centre bus service from Piccadilly Station that will get you to the Marriott. Info on the free bus routes is here.

Other posters have referenced the non-Marriott Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel. I've stayed at this property a number of times both under it's current Mercure flag as well as it's previous Ramada Jarvis flag. While the location is perfect, the sound transmission between rooms, side to side as well as floor to floor, is horrible because of the way the interior walls meet the exterior windows.
Thanks for the tip. It’s actually not until May so I might wait until the two new Marriotts become bookable, but it just pricked my interest as a random hotel.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Horace
Coffeemadman,

Technically, it's not yet affiliated with a "participating brand" in the Marriott Bonvoy program, so, technically, there would be no elite benefits under the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Programs Terms & Conditions.

The reality is likely to be much better. Full-service, non-luxury Marriott Bonvoy hotels without a lounge in the United Kingdom, regardless of brand, normally provide a full breakfast buffet or a full breakfast from the menu in the hotel restaurant to Platinum Elite members and above -- either as Welcome Gift choice or as an alternative under Guaranteed Lounge Access, depending on the brand. I would expect the same from Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, even before it's officially branded.

You could contact the hotel ahead of time by phone, email, or social media for their answer.

The hotel's Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/ManchesterPiccadillyHotel/ .

Once you've stayed there, please post to this thread with your elite experiences (breakfast, upgrade, Welcome Gift, etc.). Also, please post about breakfast/lounge access to MASTER THREAD: Executive Lounges Worldwide
Would be nice if they put a lounge in. So many hotels in Manchester but only the airport one has a lounge. Too many Marriotts concentrated in one area, in my opinion, then nothing but the Preston one until you reach Glasgow going north.
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Looks like this will become a Four Points Express, judging from the rendering on this page: https://www.hotel-development.marrio...rpointsexpress
littlevoices likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.