Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Banff, AB no longer has Marriott hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

Just to let everyone know that the old Delta Royal Canadian Lodge is no longer Delta and not associated any more with Marriott.

This left Banff not covered by Marriott.

This sucks when I have two trips there for the next couple of months. The closest Marriott hotel appears to be in Calgary, not very practical.

If anyone has other suggestions please let me know. Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
They left like 3 years ago.

Kananaskis Mountain Lodge would be closest Bonvoy property.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks

A 1-hour drive, depending on the time of year.
Intl359Widget and Diabeetus like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
A 1-hour drive, depending on the time of year.
It's a bit of a drive but I would highly recommend staying in the Kananaskis Mountain Lodge for several reasons. They've got a Nordic Spa on-site and they're right by the Nakiska Ski Resort (EPIC Pass Partner).

I love the area in all seasons as you can Ski/Board, White water raft/kayak, or hike.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Just to let everyone know that the old Delta Royal Canadian Lodge is no longer Delta and not associated any more with Marriott.

This left Banff not covered by Marriott.

This sucks when I have two trips there for the next couple of months. The closest Marriott hotel appears to be in Calgary, not very practical.

If anyone has other suggestions please let me know. Thanks!
Yes. Banff has no coverage by Marriott.

If you rent a car, then you can stay at the Kananaskis Mountain Lodge for K-country and the spa, and then do a single day trip up to Banff. Alternatively, we sometimes start off the morning in Banff, then head to Kananaskis in the evening and stay there for a few days.

Otherwise, I would not stay at Kananaskis to do a multi-day trip in Banff.

Banff has the Fairmont Banff Springs (and as an aside, if you are in the area, Fairmont Lake Louise), which are both very expensive, but worth the experience if you are feeling like spending that much.

Otherwise Banff has a many lodging options. I would have thought Marriott would try to get another property in Banff after the Royal Canadian Lodge left, but nothing for the past few years....
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:52 am

Fairmont Banff does show up in the Chase Luxury or Visa Infinite Hotel search if you want to go that route. For example, the Visa Infinite Card rate (for Ritz Credit Card) unlocks a $75 F&B credit, brekkie for 2, and room UG, late checkout (when available).
najama2 and dw like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Another non-Mariott option is Canmore, about 25 minute drive from Banff. The Pocaterra Inn and Waterslide is excellent, though you wouldn't think so. It used to be a Best Western I think but it's unbranded now. I've only stayed there once a few years ago but it's really beautiful and the hotel was absolutely on par with any Marriott I've stayed in before (closest I can describe it as is upscale Courtyard, the newer style, but more appropriate mountain decor).
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by atsak
Another non-Mariott option is Canmore, about 25 minute drive from Banff. The Pocaterra Inn and Waterslide is excellent, though you wouldn't think so. It used to be a Best Western I think but it's unbranded now. I've only stayed there once a few years ago but it's really beautiful and the hotel was absolutely on par with any Marriott I've stayed in before (closest I can describe it as is upscale Courtyard, the newer style, but more appropriate mountain decor).
I've stayed there as well and thought it was on par with a Courtyard or even a lower end Marriott. Tons of excellent restaurants in the Canmore area as well.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:03 pm

Might be worth paying up to stay in Banff

I had the same issue maybe 5 years back (the Delta was officially still a Marriott but they literally had no award availability) while the Kanansakis looked nice but not close. Here's what we did, which I regret! We spent 5 nights in Calgary (to get 1 night free) at the Sheraton with the water slides for the kids (that part they liked along with the Calgary bobsled and other city attractions plus we did get a decent room upgrade) and then we commuted two days to Banff and then finally spent two nights at a mid-range Banff hotel, the Ptarmigan Inn. Yeah to stay in Banff you have to pay Westin/JW (not quite St Regis or RC) prices to get Courtyard quality but it's the location. Banff is a fun town. I'd recommend spending the money and staying in the town at an independent place via an OTA.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will be there for a conference and the accommodation is paid for. The official hotel is the Fairmont Spring.

It will be a multi-day event. I had been to Banff many times but never winter. I may want to stay at Kananaskis, but balk at the prospect of driving mountain roads in snow.

I will come back a month later to Banff. It is a shame if I have to spend the 8 nights out of Marriott where it may be the difference if I can make it to Ambassador this year
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:29 pm

Thanks. I will be there for a conference and the accommodation is paid for. The official hotel is the Fairmont Spring.

It will be a multi-day event. I had been to Banff many times but never winter. I may want to stay at Kananaskis, but balk at the prospect of driving mountain roads in snow.

I will come back a month later to Banff. It is a shame if I have to spend the 8 nights out of Marriott where it may be the difference if I can make it to Ambassador this year
The drive between the main highway and the Kananaskis isn't too bad at all. They plow and salt it regularly and for the most part is on flat terrain with gentle grades up/down the mountains so I wouldn't be too worried if you had a SUV or an AWD/4WD vehicle. I'll be heading to the Pomeroy Lodge next weekend actually for 3 nights.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:59 am

You can stay for free at the Banff Springs, and you're considering driving an hour each way just to get Marriott nights??! I know we've all done some crazy things to get/keep status, but I'd definitely just stay at the BSH!

As an aside, it is pretty surprising that Marriott still hasn't found something else to flag in Banff and/or Canmore. Is there a more popular tourist destination in North America that doesn't have a Marriott option?
MSPeconomist and gudugan like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I’m embarrassed to admit that I had to look at a map to find out where Banf is. I thought it was near Vancouver. 😳 (hangs head in shame)
Old Jan 13, 2023, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laner
You can stay for free at the Banff Springs, and you're considering driving an hour each way just to get Marriott nights??! I know we've all done some crazy things to get/keep status, but I'd definitely just stay at the BSH!

As an aside, it is pretty surprising that Marriott still hasn't found something else to flag in Banff and/or Canmore. Is there a more popular tourist destination in North America that doesn't have a Marriott option?
Haha, both will be paid for, Marriott or not.

8 nights is pretty significant especially if it is ambassador or not.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Don't commute from Calgary to Banff, I stayed in Canmore back in May, and got a rate of C$90+ (mid-week early May) in Days Inn (newly renovated and the view was stunning). There was ice on the road and my rental has only all season tyres. Canmore is less touristy than Banff and it's 20 minute ride from the entrance of the park.

At that time the 1 highway was fixing so all cars were diverted to highway 93, no idea if the road work has completed.

If you drive yourself check the weather condition and check if you need snow tyres.
Intl359Widget and gudugan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.