FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2100112-daily-hotel-worker-protection-ordinance-costs-surcharge-local-fee-usd-10-72-a.html)

rambling man Nov 6, 2022 1:25 pm

daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72

Los Angeles Airport Marriott
"Please note - A daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72 plus tax will be added to the room rate."

wow, what a mouthful of mumbo-jumbo. is this a cost that the hotel in incurring due to an ordinance? isn't that just a cost of doing business and should be included in the room rate? and if this is due to an ordinance, why aren't the other marriotts at LAX charging this?

dayone Nov 6, 2022 3:18 pm

Is this or a similar fee charged by the nearby Renaissance, Westin or Sheraton?

rambling man Nov 6, 2022 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 34737816)
Is this or a similar fee charged by the nearby Renaissance, Westin or Sheraton?

Renaissance yes $8.70

Westin and Sheraton no

dw Nov 6, 2022 5:38 pm

Sounds like a resort/destination/amenity fee by another name

dayone Nov 6, 2022 5:43 pm

It's nearly inexplicable that such a fee would be taxable.

Kacee Nov 6, 2022 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 34738065)
It's nearly inexplicable that such a fee would be taxable.

Not at all. It's just a rate add-on and thus taxable.

I'd cancel and rebook elsewhere. And tell them why.

Xero Nov 6, 2022 7:04 pm

Trying to blame the good 'ol evil government.

It's like those "regulatory compliance fees" that are portrayed as taxes.

Every industry is regulated, and is part of the cost of doing business. Even we individual people are regulated. If we break the law, we go to jail.

I wonder if hotels will charge a fee and act like it's a tax for the lifesaver in the pool because the government mandates it.

Kacee Nov 6, 2022 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 34738208)
I wonder if hotels will charge a fee and act like it's a tax for the lifesaver in the pool because the government mandates it.

"Fire sprinkler and life safety system charge"

dayone Nov 6, 2022 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34738175)
Not at all. It's just a rate add-on and thus taxable.

Rate vs. fee.

Kacee Nov 6, 2022 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 34738353)
Rate vs. fee.

No difference. You get taxed on resort/destination fees, too.

Let's be clear, this is not government imposed tax on the guest. It is a hotel add-on to the rate in the amount of $10.72, which is taxable as part of the daily room rate.

PES_B1 Nov 7, 2022 5:34 am

Imagine if all of the airport hotels start to charge for Airport Access Fee, "To offset our exorbitant cost of running our buses such frequently even when the load factor is minimal in order to convenient the customers".

dw Nov 7, 2022 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34738509)
No difference. You get taxed on resort/destination fees, too.

Let's be clear, this is not government imposed tax on the guest. It is a hotel add-on to the rate in the amount of $10.72, which is taxable as part of the daily room rate.

And of course, like the ridiculous resort/destination/amenity fees, this new fee will not be commissionable vs. the room rate itself. And I wonder if the hotel will try charging it on award stays?

ceieoc Nov 7, 2022 9:00 am

For truth in advertising, I think Marriott should have worded their Employee Protection Surcharge like this:

As a part of the Marriott New Employee Protection Surcharge, the additional revenue collected can be used to offset the cost of ammunition and gun purchases by employees. Furthermore, for every year of service, Marriott employees should receive 100 bonus bullets (500 bullets for Los Angeles employees) and a complimentary high-capacity magazine.

Additionally, after two years of Marriott service, employees can choose either a large-caliber grenade launcher or a semi-automatic shotgun to help keep Marriott employees safer. The Marriott Employee Protection program is void where prohibited and for employees under 18 years old.

With most Marriott employees "packing heat," guests should feel much safer when they stay at Marriott International properties over Hilton, IHG, or Motel 6 hotels.

nacho Nov 7, 2022 10:34 am

Originally Posted by rambling man (Post 34737550)
Los Angeles Airport Marriott
"Please note - A daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72 plus tax will be added to the room rate."

wow, what a mouthful of mumbo-jumbo. is this a cost that the hotel in incurring due to an ordinance? isn't that just a cost of doing business and should be included in the room rate? and if this is due to an ordinance, why aren't the other marriotts at LAX charging this?

OMG!

Of course this crappy fee is not eligible for points.

Tanic Nov 7, 2022 10:38 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 34739034)
And of course, like the ridiculous resort/destination/amenity fees, this new fee will not be commissionable vs. the room rate itself. And I wonder if the hotel will try charging it on award stays?

Yes they do. In addition the Marriott LAX webpage says that room cleaning is after the 6th night, so $64.32 + taxes will have accrued for each cleaning.