Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
The Virgin Hotel in Las Vegas (I think it was the former Hard Rock) did not charge resort fees last year and early this year, but I guess they couldn't make up the difference by charging higher room rates so they implemented the nightly charge. Same with the Courtyard in Waikiki. At least for Vegas, if you're an upper tier Hyatt member you can match to an MGM status that gets you waived resort fees and their properties.
the courtyard in Waikiki is really suboptimal sadly
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I am really surprised that they would impose this fee if your reservation was booked a month ago. I have a one night reservation coming up soon and my confirmation email does not mention any such fee so I have zero intention of paying it.
Junk fee removed from Renaissance LAX since reservation was made in April.

Good luck to everyone fighting this!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Junk fee removed from Renaissance LAX since reservation was made in April.

Good luck to everyone fighting this!
Shame the LAX Marriott didn't see it this way ... We're now staying in Santa Monica which is a big upgrade from the LAX area.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
The Virgin Hotel in Las Vegas (I think it was the former Hard Rock) did not charge resort fees last year and early this year, but I guess they couldn't make up the difference by charging higher room rates so they implemented the nightly charge. Same with the Courtyard in Waikiki. At least for Vegas, if you're an upper tier Hyatt member you can match to an MGM status that gets you waived resort fees and their properties.
I frequently stay at the Waikiki Courtyard for just this reason, though it isn’t by any stretch a resort either.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:05 pm

People are misbehaving

Originally Posted by rambling man
Los Angeles Airport Marriott
"Please note - A daily Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge-local fee of USD 10.72 plus tax will be added to the room rate."

wow, what a mouthful of mumbo-jumbo. is this a cost that the hotel in incurring due to an ordinance? isn't that just a cost of doing business and should be included in the room rate? and if this is due to an ordinance, why aren't the other marriotts at LAX charging this?

Last edited by swthomas; Nov 15, 2022 at 12:06 pm Reason: Left off text
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:09 pm

People are misbehaving

Appears LA has an ordinance requiring hotels to provide workers with devices to notify security that they are being mis-treated by guests. It is all of LA not just LAX.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by Kacee
No difference. You get taxed on resort/destination fees, too.

Let's be clear, this is not government imposed tax on the guest. It is a hotel add-on to the rate in the amount of $10.72, which is taxable as part of the daily room rate.
It's only part of the daily room rate if it's stated prior to or at the tome of booking. Otherwise, it's another fee.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swthomas (Post # 66)
Appears LA has an ordinance requiring hotels to provide workers with devices to notify security that they are being mis-treated by guests. It is all of LA not just LAX.
Apparently, this daily "Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge", a local fee of $10.72 plus tax, is a form of protest by hotel owners against the L.A. city ordinance.

But what do the hotel owners hope to accomplish by publicizing the employee Emergency Summons device requirement in this way?

Repeal of the ordinance? Most guests are not voters in the City of Los Angeles.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Apparently, this daily "Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance Costs Surcharge", a local fee of $10.72 plus tax, is a form of protest by hotel owners against the L.A. city ordinance.But what do the hotel owners hope to accomplish by publicizing the employee Emergency Summons device requirement in this way? Repeal of the ordinance? Most guests are not voters in the City of Los Angeles.
Maybe they got the idea from Spirit Airlines which gleefully itemized fare breakdown as the "Government Cut" to rile up customers. No doubt NK management would prefer that runways, terminals, and air traffic controllers were somehow magically free. Perhaps these rogue bonvOY hotels will follow the success path of Spirit.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
If Marriott was smart they’d look at the current backlash on AirBNB’s hidden fees and the Biden admin push to have all fees included in advertised prices and see that they should be going the other way with these things. Customers aren’t dumb.
FWIW, when in "Taxes and fees included" mode, the website and the app both do include this fee - itemised as "Local Fee" - in the advertised price :

Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The FTC is proposing to require hotels (and certain other travel related industries) publish their rates with all non-tax fees included. Essentially hotels would not be able to 'hide' resort fees, destination fees, worker protection fees, etc. in the rates they publish on booking sites. It's a long read, but you can see the proposed rule and submit comments here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ter-no-r207011

Personally, I am 100% in favor of this rule.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, clarkef and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The FTC is proposing to require hotels (and certain other travel related industries) publish their rates with all non-tax fees included. Essentially hotels would not be able to 'hide' resort fees, destination fees, worker protection fees, etc. in the rates they publish on booking sites. It's a long read, but you can see the proposed rule and submit comments here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ter-no-r207011

Personally, I am 100% in favor of this rule.
I just booked several properties in Germany for an upcoming trip and the price was just the price, it was amazingly refreshing...

Regards
clarkef likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by scubadu
I just booked several properties in Germany for an upcoming trip and the price was just the price, it was amazingly refreshing...

Regards
IHG hotels in Germany do charge the city tourism tax as extra if there's any. Marriott includes the tax.
Old May 12, 2023, 6:55 pm

Has anyone had any success not paying this fee on award stays? It is now up to $13.87!
Old May 12, 2023, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mplflyer
Has anyone had any success not paying this fee on award stays? It is now up to $13.87!
Yes, by refusing to book at a property that charges these fraudulent fees!
KRSW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.