Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott System Hacked? More Questions than Answers. .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I booked into the newish Marriott-owned Aloft Hotel at San Francisco Airport last Friday, September 30th. I was unimpressed with the faux-"hipness" of the brand, but it was just an overnight between longer haul flights. I am Marriott Gold, and have been so for many many years.

Early on Friday, Marriott texted me a prompt to check-in and queue for the electronic key. I like the electronic keys even before the limitations imposed by the pandemic. I checked-in and waited for me key. I arrived at SFO about 6pm, and still no electronic key.. Shuttled to the hotel and shuffled up to the check-in desk.

It was a "regular" check-in. No room had been assigned. They wanted my ID, my credit card - the whole shebang, with the same "initial and sign" paperwork. What's the point? They also hassled my about my certified Service Dog (who's been traveling with me for 10 years including trips to Europe, Japan, Guam, Australia. . .everywhere).

So then I asked what happened to the app check-in and digital key. The desk clerk said "we're not doing that now, due to identity fraud". I requested clarification - was MY account compromised in some way? No she said, we're not doing it for anyone!

Really?

I more distressed now about this and Marriott than anything else at the moment. I've requested an answer from Marriott, but have not received any further information.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Marriott's mobile check in has always amounted to nothing.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Marriott's mobile check in has always amounted to nothing.
It depends on the property, some I've been able to go straight to the room without stopping at the desk. That being said I've heard the same same line from other properties that they need to verify my ID due to account fraud. If thats truly the reason, they should work to reduce that, maybe add 2FA, so that mobile check-in can work universally.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
There is no hacking. The property doesn't trust guests to not use Marriott app logins to get access to rooms that they didn't book, so they are requiring ID checks at the front desk. Many properties are like this, and many aren't. This hotel just chooses to not trust Marriott app credentials (which could be shared or stolen via a variety of means) as a way to verify identity.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
There is no hacking. The property doesn't trust guests to not use Marriott app logins to get access to rooms that they didn't book, so they are requiring ID checks at the front desk. Many properties are like this, and many aren't. This hotel just chooses to not trust Marriott app credentials (which could be shared or stolen via a variety of means) as a way to verify identity.
To be fair, given Marriott's shameful history of repeated data breaches that seems a perfectly sensible view to take.
rylan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:21 am

That’s probably not the case in CA, but in most jurisdictions all over the world hotels are required to collect each guest’s passport or ID details and report them to the government, for immigration and law enforcement purposes. This is why the electronic key will never catch on.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
That’s probably not the case in CA, but in most jurisdictions all over the world hotels are required to collect each guest’s passport or ID details and report them to the government, for immigration and law enforcement purposes. This is why the electronic key will never catch on.
The fact that it doesn't work very well will be another reason. It's really poor when compared to the Hilton version.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jimmc66
So then I asked what happened to the app check-in and digital key. The desk clerk said "we're not doing that now, due to identity fraud".
You know that FDAs make stuff up all the time, right?

Many properties don't use digital keys, for a variety of reasons. As others have already noted, the Marriott version is particularly crappy and not in wide use at all.

Of all the things to complain about . . . .
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
I've never once had this work prior to check-in. Not once.
yyzflyer and dr_torch like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
There is no hacking
Given Marriott's shameful history of repeated data breaches that seems a rather bold assumption to make …..
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Given Marriott's shameful history of repeated data breaches that seems a rather bold assumption to make …..
My point was specific to the OP's story about the front desk associate - this incident seemingly has nothing to do with a systemic data breach or hacking incident and instead has to do with the property in question using sensationalist terms, like "identity theft", to describe guests using the Marriott login credentials of others to check in (for whatever reason).

Marriott (and Starwood before the merger) have had known issues with data breaches, of course, but I prefer to assume that companies use these situations to learn and improve and to not overstate the impact of reported breaches (such as the recent social engineering attack on a single property that was reported a month or two ago).
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I booked into the newish Marriott-owned Aloft Hotel at San Francisco Airport last Friday, September 30th.
I said to myself that hotel has to of been open for at least 10 years now - and sure enough, 10 years open as of last month
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
10 years open as of last month
I guess for some people, 10 years can be "newish".

We stay there when we have no other reasonable choice because it's frequently about half the price of the nearby Marriott options. I guess you get what you pay for.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.