Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Wailea - pastry breakfast option ???!

Marriott Wailea - pastry breakfast option ???!

Old Sep 22, 22, 7:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Programs: Alaska MVP100K, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 33
Marriott Wailea - pastry breakfast option ???!

Hi , stayed at Marriot wailea 2 years ago and had a great breakfast as part of my titanium benefit.

tbis stay we got a choice lf
points or a fruit cup pastry breakfast

did this benefit change? I thought any marriot with a restaurant breakfast was part of elite benefit.
TRAVEL4SCUBA is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Posts: 1,017
The benefit is “continental breakfast,” which can be pretty lame without technically violating the T&Cs. And the poor owners of Maui hotels are having to scrape by on room rates that sometimes are barely even twice or three times what they were charging two years ago, so naturally they need to economize.
notquiteaff, dw, najama2 and 3 others like this.
WrightHI is online now  
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:19 pm
  #3  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA View Post
Hi , stayed at Marriot wailea 2 years ago and had a great breakfast as part of my titanium benefit.

tbis stay we got a choice lf
points or a fruit cup pastry breakfast

did this benefit change? I thought any marriot with a restaurant breakfast was part of elite benefit.
Nope, the elite benefit is for "Continental Breakfast." Most have been going above and beyond the continental breakfast. I was in Hawaii both in Waikiki and Maui. No full breakfast, just Continental offerings or we could upgrade for a discounted price. Just expect it to be all over the place when it comes to breakfast.

Sheraton Waikiki


Westin Kannapali Resort
Not dine in but I thought it was a bit better than the sit down Continental at the Sheraton Waikiki.


seat38a is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 2,052
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
The benefit is continental breakfast, which can be pretty lame without technically violating the T&Cs.
WrightHI, You are mistaken.

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Nope, the elite benefit is for "Continental Breakfast."
seat38a, You are mistaken.

It's true that for hotels (but not resorts) of five brands JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels in the United States, breakfast is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, "the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay." Most hotels of these brands provide more than just continental breakfast because they understand the business value of attracting and keeping elite members, but they don't have to.

However, Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui is a resort.

For the same five brands, the benefit for resorts is different. Breakfast is a function of Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above, just as for most Starwood legacy brands: "RESORTS only: United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"

It's "breakfast," not "continental breakfast."

The Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between "breakfast" and "continental breakfast" by using these terms deliberately in different contexts.

That means Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui should provide "breakfast in restaurant," just as one would get at Westin, St. Regis, or Luxury Collection properties. And if that's what the elite guest chooses, there would be no other Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above (unlike at a Marriott hotel).
Tanic, najama2 and Kacee like this.
Horace is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
WrightHI, You are mistaken.


seat38a, You are mistaken.

It's true that for hotels (but not resorts) of five brands JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels in the United States, breakfast is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, "the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay." Most hotels of these brands provide more than just continental breakfast because they understand the business value of attracting and keeping elite members, but they don't have to.

However, Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui is a resort.

For the same five brands, the benefit for resorts is different. Breakfast is a function of Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above, just as for most Starwood legacy brands: "RESORTS only: United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"

It's "breakfast," not "continental breakfast."

The Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between "breakfast" and "continental breakfast" by using these terms deliberately in different contexts.

That means Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui should provide "breakfast in restaurant," just as one would get at Westin, St. Regis, or Luxury Collection properties. And if that's what the elite guest chooses, there would be no other Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above (unlike at a Marriott hotel).
we just stayed at Marriott Wailea earlier this month. It was continental only. We are titanium.
tkl1992 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Posts: 1,017
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
WrightHI, You are mistaken.


seat38a, You are mistaken.

It's true that for hotels (but not resorts) of five brands JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels in the United States, breakfast is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, "the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay." Most hotels of these brands provide more than just continental breakfast because they understand the business value of attracting and keeping elite members, but they don't have to.

However, Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui is a resort.

For the same five brands, the benefit for resorts is different. Breakfast is a function of Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above, just as for most Starwood legacy brands: "RESORTS only: United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"

It's "breakfast," not "continental breakfast."

The Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between "breakfast" and "continental breakfast" by using these terms deliberately in different contexts.

That means Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui should provide "breakfast in restaurant," just as one would get at Westin, St. Regis, or Luxury Collection properties. And if that's what the elite guest chooses, there would be no other Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above (unlike at a Marriott hotel).
Thank you for the correction. Apparently Marriotts breakfast rules are so complex that they confuse not only amateurs like me, but even people who run Marriott properties.
najama2 likes this.
WrightHI is online now  
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:03 am
  #7  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
WrightHI, You are mistaken.


seat38a, You are mistaken.

It's true that for hotels (but not resorts) of five brands — JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels — in the United States, breakfast is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, "the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay." Most hotels of these brands provide more than just continental breakfast because they understand the business value of attracting and keeping elite members, but they don't have to.

However, Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui is a resort.

For the same five brands, the benefit for resorts is different. Breakfast is a function of Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above, just as for most Starwood legacy brands: "RESORTS only: United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"

It's "breakfast," not "continental breakfast."

The Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between "breakfast" and "continental breakfast" by using these terms deliberately in different contexts.

That means Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui should provide "breakfast in restaurant," just as one would get at Westin, St. Regis, or Luxury Collection properties. And if that's what the elite guest chooses, there would be no other Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above (unlike at a Marriott hotel).
Good luck arguing with the properties about the semantics between "Continental Breakfast" and "Breakfast." Correct me if I'm wrong but there is nowhere in the terms that distinguishes between what a continental breakfast vs breakfast is, nor a required minimum dollar value that the hotel's must give you to spend in the restaurants. Under the terms, technically the Sheraton Waikiki fullfiled their duties by serving me a breakfast, which is clearly in my opinion "Continental," in their restaurant. Same with the Westin which was in their quick serve takeaway and sit outside kind of joint.

In the days when the breakfast buffet was the standard at hotel properties, this wasn't really an issue since it was the breakfast buffet or nothing. Now with the buffet gone due to Covid, and restaurants serving a-la carte, things are much more convoluted.

TRAVEL4SCUBA from my experience be prepared for a fixed, "elite menu", or some sort of quick serve joint served to you in the restaurant. They will probably try to explain to you how the breakfast coupon covers: 1 item from this section and a beverage, but if you select from this other section, that counts as 2 items and blah blah blah blah. It got too confusing and during the whole 2 weeks I was at both properties, I just said, "bill the room if it doesn't cover this and that."

Last edited by seat38a; Sep 23, 22 at 12:15 am
seat38a is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:22 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 2,052
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
Thank you for the correction. Apparently Marriott’s breakfast rules are so complex that they confuse not only amateurs like me, but even people who run Marriott properties.
I agree that Marriott’s elite breakfast benefits are way too complex.

I wonder, however, to what degree the Terms and Conditions actually confuse the people who run Marriott properties. My guess is that the general managers who provide substandard elite benefits understand what the Terms and Conditions call for, but think that shaving a few dollars off their costs is better business than helping to build a large base of loyal elite customers for the long-term benefit of all Marriott Bonvoy properties.
Horace is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:29 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 7,235
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
WrightHI, You are mistaken.


seat38a, You are mistaken.

It's true that for hotels (but not resorts) of five brands JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels in the United States, breakfast is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, "the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay." Most hotels of these brands provide more than just continental breakfast because they understand the business value of attracting and keeping elite members, but they don't have to.

However, Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui is a resort.

For the same five brands, the benefit for resorts is different. Breakfast is a function of Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above, just as for most Starwood legacy brands: "RESORTS only: United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"

It's "breakfast," not "continental breakfast."

The Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between "breakfast" and "continental breakfast" by using these terms deliberately in different contexts.

That means Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui should provide "breakfast in restaurant," just as one would get at Westin, St. Regis, or Luxury Collection properties. And if that's what the elite guest chooses, there would be no other Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above (unlike at a Marriott hotel).
while they are clearly different words, since continental breakfast is a breakfast, it isnt clear overall. They could have said full breakfast or further defined it if they wanted to be clear.

Continental breakfast in the restaurant meets the Ts and Cs.
seat38a likes this.
beachfan is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 2,052
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Good luck arguing with the properties about the semantics between "Continental Breakfast" and "Breakfast." Correct me if I'm wrong but there is nowhere in the terms that distinguishes between what a continental breakfast vs breakfast is, nor a required minimum dollar value that the hotel's must give you to spend in the restaurants. Under the terms, technically the Sheraton Waikiki fullfiled their duties by serving me a breakfast, which is clearly in my opinion "Continental," in their restaurant. Same with the Westin which was in their quick serve takeaway and sit outside kind of joint.
The Terms & Conditions deliberately use "breakfast" in some contexts and "continental breakfast" in others. In other words, they are two different things in the Terms & Conditions.

I agree that there's not a clear definition of either term.

A reasonable interpretation of "breakfast in restaurant" is a typical morning meal that guests would expect in the class of hotel, served in the primary restaurant where other hotel guests have sit-down breakfasts.

At a full-service Marriott Resort, that would be a quality buffet with a wide selection — or a main course, coffee, juice, and possibly a side from the same menu that other guests use. My expectations would be even higher at Luxury Collection or St. Regis, but somewhat lower at Four Points.

Marriott should enforce elite breakfast commensurate with each brand. Sadly, some hotels get away with providing less.
Horace is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:53 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,899
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
I wonder, however, to what degree the Terms and Conditions actually confuse the people who run Marriott properties.
Management at WBR knows exactly what it is doing. For a while, it even acknowledged it was violating T&C by paying $100 comp to those who complained. Not clear whether they're still doing that.
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Continental breakfast in the restaurant meets the Ts and Cs.
Sadly, since Marriott is sole arbiter of its own rules, if Marriott says a gross sugared pastry qualifies as "breakfast" under the T&C, then it does. Since we are arbiters of our own hotel spend, we have the ability to direct it elsewhere.
dw, WrightHI and margarita girl like this.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread