Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Old Sep 22, 22, 9:53 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Anyone doubting the number of people willing to sign up for a $600+ annual fee card for free lounge access should visit a centurion lounge. Blows my mind every time I walk into one.
dw, worldwidedreamer, m.y and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
Not every person can justify a $650 card fee and theres a whole world of people outside of the USA who are unlikely to be able to access this card anyway.
And it really is $650 unless you are a frequent restaurant goer and can make use of the $25/month credit. At least the Chase Sapphire Reserve made the credit easy to recoup.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT View Post
And it really is $650 unless you are a frequent restaurant goer and can make use of the $25/month credit. At least the Chase Sapphire Reserve made the credit easy to recoup.
The vast majority of people spend $25 a month on restaurants organically
dw, milski, Guate87 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
I do. But do I want another Amex coupon book to keep track off? Nope. It’s 9/22… and I still have to squeeze an a Uber Eats order in before the end of the month (I traveled internationally, used Uber, but of course the fine print excludes international use of Uber).

So don’t fear… I am not getting this card and compete with you for your lounge snacks
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
Anyone doubting the number of people willing to sign up for a $600+ annual fee card for free lounge access should visit a centurion lounge. Blows my mind every time I walk into one.
Hotel executive lounges are going the way of the dodo. The market expansion for hotels has all been limited service where lounge access is pretty much LOL, no.

Frankly between that and ghost kitchens and DoorDash/Uber Eats replacing room service and onsite kitchens I expect the Platinum benefit to be mostly irrelevant (and in many cases WORSE than what Hilton Diamond offers, which was true before everyone started rending garments and wailing about your poor elite benefits), save for luxury resorts, destination hotels in cities where the on-site restaurant is a “thing”, and outside the US… but Marriott is about 80% inside the US.
Markie, GUWonder, milski and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
How do you devalue what has no value?

I am Titanium. This summer the Moxy Lisbon refused to give us even one hour later for checkout (noon). I stated that even Platinums get Marriott's "Guaranteed" 4 pm late checkout. They laughed.

Breakfast was similar, with them trying to charge me full price then, after my refusal, charging my wife. After multiple conversations, they agreed to give both of us the breakfast discount each day.

Marriotts charge resort fees on redemptions even for Pl and Ti. This $650 card should come with an exemption from resort fees.

I am letting my status drop to Platinum next year and spending more nights at Hilton properties, where I am Diamond and don't have to pay resort fees on redemptions. Next year I might get the $450 AMEX Hilton but definitely not the $650 Marriott card.
Rd3, Kara5930 and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
So dont agree that a $650 card that gives you platinum will fast track the removal of breakfast like how Hilton offers credits now instead. While the Aspire card is great value, its likely the numerous routs to Hilton gold, including but not limited to - Amex plat, founders card, etc. lead to Hilton finding breakfast for golds to hold limited retention value. Also Hilton gold only takes 28 nights (not 50) for the free breakfast.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Sep 22, 22 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Marriott has a lot of properties outside North America. Gutting breakfast benefits for Platinums beyond North America would really cut into the worth of Platinum status. Gutting it in North America like Hilton did? Well, Marriott may have already been under pressure from its property owners/managers in the US to let them follow in the wake of Hilton. Keep in mind that there are Marriott property owners/operators who also own/operate Hilton properties, and so they know what the financial implications are for how the breakfast benefits are structured by each of these hotel brand owning groups.

Originally Posted by GVA View Post
$650 is still an expensive annual fee. The Hilton Aspire at $450 offers a lot more value and hasn't seen negative changes to diamond. That makes me believe the number of people who actually sign up to these very premium cards remains quite low or many people have status regardless.
Demand for the high fee cards will be under some pressure, given the macroeconomic picture. The inflation scene — including for the highly volatile energy and food segments — and higher interest rates (along with what those higher interest rates mean for asset values and the accompanying declining wealth effect) have consequences on demand for such cards.

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
In developed countries, indeed. Even McDonalds for a family of 3-4 can easily cross that $25 threshold in one or two meals.
Guate87 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 22 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
Marriott Bonvoy is gradually being turned into Hilton Honors, the writing on the wall is pretty plain to see for those not in denial. There are already wayyy too many customers entitled to suite upgrades, late check out etc even in Europe, let alone the US. I can imagine just how bad things are going to get in the next 12-24 months as travel recovers if there are no changes in entitlements. If you want easy status and not many benefits, its a great fit. If youre expecting status to be meaningful and are happy to work for it, you should jump to Hyatt. I regret not making the switch already, personally.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Marriott Bonvoy is gradually being turned into Hilton Honors, the writing on the wall is pretty plain to see for those not in denial. There are already wayyy too many customers entitled to suite upgrades, late check out etc even in Europe, let alone the US. I can imagine just how bad things are going to get in the next 12-24 months as travel recovers if there are no changes in entitlements. If you want easy status and not many benefits, it’s a great fit. If you’re expecting status to be meaningful and are happy to work for it, you should jump to Hyatt. I regret not making the switch already, personally.
We seem to perhaps be on the cusp of one of the most challenging economic periods in over a decade and perhaps even the most challenging one in the past four or (maybe even five) decades. I don’t see how the hotel industry will be spared a drop in demand in the US and Europe when household finances are weakening and real incomes are not rising. Hotels cutting status benefits isn’t going to boost traffic to such hotels in such an environment.

Hyatt’s Globalist status is the major hotel program status I value the most.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
We seem to perhaps be on the cusp of one of the most challenging economic periods in over a decade and perhaps even the most challenging one in the past four or (maybe even five) decades. I don’t see how the hotel industry will be spared a drop in demand in the US and Europe when household finances are weakening and real incomes are not rising. Hotels cutting status benefits isn’t going to boost traffic to such hotels in such an environment.
We disagree, then. I agree the economy will slow things down vs. the previous direction of travel but it’s only going one way to me. Things like guaranteed 4pm check out for Platinums I don’t expect to survive the next few years. It’s a basic operational issue for many hotels - if 25% or more of your guests are entitled to 4pm check out but you have a 3pm stated check in time, how do square that, exactly? I suspect it will either be moved to earlier or become “subject to availability” at more hotels. Exactly why Hilton doesn’t offer guaranteed late check out for Diamonds.
ryw and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:38 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
If you want easy status.
This hits the nail on the head. There are plenty on this forum who almost compete to get the highest possible status with the most limited spend and then everyone wonders why status doesnt mean anything.

Having said that Ive just completed another stay and received yet another suite upgrade and had a really good stay at a Marriott property but then as I always use my own money I asked prior to booking what they were going to give me and I have the option to book elsewhere if I dont like what they offer.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Will08 View Post
This hits the nail on the head. There are plenty on this forum who almost compete to get the highest possible status with the most limited spend and then everyone wonders why status doesn’t mean anything.

Having said that I’ve just completed another stay and received yet another suite upgrade and had a really good stay at a Marriott property but then as I always use my own money I asked prior to booking what they were going to give me and I have the option to book elsewhere if I don’t like what they offer.
The status means less because the hotel owners think it makes better financial sense for them to have it go that way and they can increasingly get away with it because of the “competitive” landscape. This isn’t a case of “what came first, chicken or the egg?”. It’s a case of business owners knowing what they can get away with doing and finding it increasingly better to maintain margins per occupied room rather than to take the hit to margins per occupied room. And one way to maintain or even boost margins per occupied room is to become more miserly about things that were “complimentary” before for the hotel’s elite status program members too.

We disagree, then. I agree the economy will slow things down vs. the previous direction of travel but it’s only going one way to me. Things like guaranteed 4pm check out for Platinums I don’t expect to survive the next few years. It’s a basic operational issue for many hotels - if 25% or more of your guests are entitled to 4pm check out but you have a 3pm stated check in time, how do square that, exactly? I suspect it will either be moved to earlier or become “subject to availability” at more hotels. Exactly why Hilton doesn’t offer guaranteed late check out for Diamonds.
The late checkout thing will die out because hotel owners/operators are cheap and are big into the business of trying to cut back housekeeping costs. It’s a continuing trend regardless of consumer demand shifts and elite status members on the rolls at HQs.

It’s not going to die out for a lack of hotel guests wanting late checkout; it’s under pressure because of hotel owners/operators wanting to reduce their costs. Even the problems with retaining housekeeping staff are already on the decline in Europe and the US, but are the hotels getting more generous about late check-out just because of that? No. The hotel owners/operators are going cheap, regardless of the elite status headcount at HQs. And the big customers for the hotel program owners/operators aren’t the people putting their own heads in the beds — it’s the hotel owners.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 22 at 3:38 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:29 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
We seem to perhaps be on the cusp of one of the most challenging economic periods in over a decade and perhaps even the most challenging one in the past four or (maybe even five) decades. I dont see how the hotel industry will be spared a drop in demand in the US and Europe when household finances are weakening and real incomes are not rising. Hotels cutting status benefits isnt going to boost traffic to such hotels in such an environment.

Hyatts Globalist status is the major hotel program status I value the most.
If I live in the US I'd go for Hyatt too. In Europe there's only highest end properties which makes it not feasible to run for status.

I'm curious how the hotel chains will react when recession is kicking in, even in a wealthy country like Denmark, over 3000 families are seeking for "Christmas help" to get free food and free Christmas presents. Some people are having to "find" $700 a month to maintain their family budget without downgrade in their living standards. The whole Europe is suffering from high energy prices so I don't know how many people can afford to travel.

The $650 AF is stiff and no way in my life I'd get that - I see lounge access as something nice to have but I don't put a high price tag on it. $25 food credit - you still have to go out to spend that and usually it would be more than $25 so more $ out of your pockets. This is ok if you are not worried about your spending.

I've made LTP last month and I don't live in the US so the 600 nights were not from CC or double night promo. Now we need to think if Mr should try his best to make LTP as he still lacks 120 nights or so. Some people think Marriott will take away lounge access for Plats which I don't think so, in fact this card helps to maintain that benefits as they can't take away the benefit that people actually use $ to buy.
SPN Lifer, Happy, Guate87 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread