Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Old Sep 22, 22, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
apart from getting rid of free breakfast and replacing it with a voucher that gets you a muffin and coffee if you are lucky...
My experience has been that many properties are still giving the free breakfast. I've stayed as follows in the past year:

South America:
Hilton Garden Inn 4 nights
Doubletree 6 nights

North America:
Hampton 1 night
Hilton 1 night
Doubletree 15 nights
Tru 2 nights (two too many)

Europe:
Doubletree 3 nights

Still to come this year:
North America
Hampton 6 nights

Europe
Doubletree 5 nights

I've gotten a full breakfast or full access to the buffet at all but one where I had to pay a $3 upgrade at one of the domestic Doubletree hotels to have a cooked to order omelette. No biggie, it was a great omelette and worth it!

It's been more hit and miss on the upgrades though.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
The Amex Bonvoy Brilliant changes now make Platinum very easy to get. Benefits like breakfast and lounge access now seem like a bit much to offer. Will these be curtailed?
Marriott already whacked Gold pretty badly, went to NINE levels of room award redemptions, AND announced dynamic awards before redoing the Brilliant, and those are pretty massive devaluations already.

Also, the breakfast benefit everyone is rending garments and donning sackcloth and ashes about is a joke in many instances, because you need a chart to understand what you get on it, and for a bunch of their hotels, no executive lounge = a worse benefit than Hilton Diamond or Gold (a $10 F/B credit PER STAY not per day). Everyone seems to think that the Dubuque Courtyard is the Gritti Palace when it comes to what they're handing out to Platinums.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
This is likely why some properties have already been telling Platinums that they are restricting suite upgrades to Ambassador members, as seen in some reports on this forum. Platinum hasn't been "best guest" for a while now.
Is this a thread or sporadic posts?
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Annerk View Post
My experience has been that many properties are still giving the free breakfast. I've stayed as follows in the past year:

South America:
Hilton Garden Inn 4 nights
Doubletree 6 nights

North America:
Hampton 1 night
Hilton 1 night
Doubletree 15 nights
Tru 2 nights (two too many)

Europe:
Doubletree 3 nights

Still to come this year:
North America
Hampton 6 nights

Europe
Doubletree 5 nights

I've gotten a full breakfast or full access to the buffet at all but one where I had to pay a $3 upgrade at one of the domestic Doubletree hotels to have a cooked to order omelette. No biggie, it was a great omelette and worth it!

It's been more hit and miss on the upgrades though.
Pretty off-topic, but since the only change to the breakfast amenity was in the U.S. and not at Hamptons or Trust, that you didn't see a change in non-U.S. properties or Hamptons or Tru doesn't say much.
craigthemif and dollar like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Is this a thread or sporadic posts?
Sporadic posts - Sheraton Waikiki for one.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
We knew this card would happen - Marriott is just pushing points and semi benefits to grab the masses. It's a good strategy frankly as loyalty programs cost too much. Owners happy. Marriott happy.

Guests aren't but who cares about them. We've seen on this list complainers who still stay at Marriott got whatever reason - corporate regulations, number of properties, price whatever.

I feel sorry for us based platinums especially.

My only hope for this is they make titanium and ambassador something worthwhile again and meaningfully different from plat, like upgrades to suites only for titanium and above. Lounge access

If this new card heralds in an era of meaningful benefits for tits and above I'm all for it. But I worry that it is just more devaluation.

Lifetime tit here. Zero stays in 2022. Only a handful in 2021. Now globalist and happy iade that switch
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott doesn't care about lowly guests...all about making those hotel owners happy. Between this and full variable pricing 2023...have fun.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Every time something is given away with CC's, devaluation follows, When Caesars partnered with Wyndham and one could match to their at the time highest level, Diamond, it did not take long for Caesars to add 2 extra Diamond tiers: Diamond Plus and Diamond Elite. Only Diamond Plus and Diamond Plus have automatic access to their Laurel Lounges.
Automatic access to lounges that no longer exist.

Future of Caesers Diamond Lounges
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Automatic access to lounges that no longer exist.

Future of Caesers Diamond Lounges
Yeah this isn't exactly true, regular Diamonds can access the Laurel Lounge in Atlantic City but need to redeem reward credits for it https://caesarsrewards.custhelp.com/...ted/1/session/
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
Yeah this isn't exactly true, regular Diamonds can access the Laurel Lounge in Atlantic City but need to redeem reward credits for it https://caesarsrewards.custhelp.com/...ted/1/session/
I will be surprised if that lounge survives much longer. Caesars has permanently closed Diamond/Laurel Lounges at most of its properties. Didn't realize that a few have survived. My money is on the days of those last few lounges being numbered.
Markie and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
Not every person can justify a $650 card fee and there’s a whole world of people outside of the USA who are unlikely to be able to access this card anyway.
And how long would people like me who have a fairly new Chase Marriott have to wait anyway before they could upgrade to an Amex Brilliant? (by my reading it’s 24 months since the last bonus?)

Even in 22 months when I am eligible, I don’t think I will add another $600-700 card to my fleet for a few breakfasts and lounge visits. I have the Aspire, which gives me enough choices and good value.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
My thoughts, devaluations of plat is inevitable, most likely no lounge access unless upgrade to club room, and breakfast/choice amenity become dinning credit just like Hilton. In the meantime I hope they will bring back LTT, make it 10 years and 1000 nights.
SPN Lifer and JBKettle like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:36 pm

Does this make a difference anyways? Considering how many Chinese Taobao platinum are there, if China eventually open up, there is where the real problem emerge.
Jiatong and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:37 pm

Programs: Who needs status when you have credit card?
I don't think Marriott will devalue Platinum, although the Platinum Status may be devalued by an influx of new Elites.

Judging from a $650 AF, I really don't think Marriott would be dumb enough to strip the benefits away. This is a HEFTY AF.

We need to realize that we are in a bubble. The amount of people interested in these cards are much less than what we assume there to be.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:03 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by c224488 View Post
I don't think Marriott will devalue Platinum, although the Platinum Status may be devalued by an influx of new Elites.

Judging from a $650 AF, I really don't think Marriott would be dumb enough to strip the benefits away. This is a HEFTY AF.

We need to realize that we are in a bubble. The amount of people interested in these cards are much less than what we assume there to be.
I agree. If Marriott devalues Plat status too much, who is going to cough up AF for the card? But, what Marriott can do is make this a competition of benefits amongst elites. It costs Marriott/property owners the same, but they reap the benefits of more elites staying at their properties.

LAX

Search this Thread