Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - American Express Card

Old Sep 22, 22, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Haven't seen it officially announced, but tried the link and it works:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...t-bonvoy-bevy/
  • $250 Annual Fee
  • 6x - Marriott
  • 4x - Dining and Groceries
  • 2x - Everything else
  • 1,000 points per paid stay
  • 50,000 point free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • 15 nights (can stack with Business for total of 30)
  • Gold status

Last edited by Schnit; Sep 22, 22 at 8:09 am Reason: Details
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:41 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Wondering how does the complimentary Gold status work. It gives you 25 elite nights credit a year or just a free Gold status like the platinum card?
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:52 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
*looks over the offering and is intrigued until*

Wait, you have to spend $15,000 on the card now to get a free night? As in they have taken away the free night certificate for the annual fee? If so, AMEX has majorly Bonvoyed the card.
gudugan, lowfareair and Raylan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamluk View Post
Wondering how does the complimentary Gold status work. It gives you 25 elite nights credit a year or just a free Gold status like the platinum card?
They give you 15 nights. If you cancel the card they drop you down to Silver.
Originally Posted by Goldeneyeuro View Post
*looks over the offering and is intrigued until*

Wait, you have to spend $15,000 on the card now to get a free night? As in they have taken away the free night certificate for the annual fee? If so, AMEX has majorly Bonvoyed the card.
Yeah...thats a deal breaker for me. $250 without a free night? No thanks
wrldwide1 and Raylan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Ouch. Was hoping for a $95 Marriott Amex card. As someone almost Lifetime Plat, there's nothing in the $250 fee worthwhile with the $15K spend requirement attached. If it were a SECOND 50K certification for $15k spend, I'd be all over it. As is, $250/yr is a little rich. Since I'm not under 5/24 anytime soon, this leaves me with no Marriott card at all right now. Bleh.
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
Ouch. Was hoping for a $95 Marriott Amex card. As someone almost Lifetime Plat, there's nothing in the $250 fee worthwhile with the $15K spend requirement attached. If it were a SECOND 50K certification for $15k spend, I'd be all over it. As is, $250/yr is a little rich. Since I'm not under 5/24 anytime soon, this leaves me with no Marriott card at all right now. Bleh.
there is a $95 amex bonvoy card, its just not open to applicants. Quite possible theyd let you downgrade to it if you called in, as it is still around for those of us that had it when it was the SPG card.
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam View Post
there is a $95 amex bonvoy card, its just not open to applicants. Quite possible theyd let you downgrade to it if you called in, as it is still around for those of us that had it when it was the SPG card.
Downgrade? From my post: "no Marriott card at all right now"
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

What about the business card?
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Really the only thing of any value you get (and definitely not worth $250) is Gold. You'd get that anyway by having the 30 nights from a biz and a consumer credit card, and those cards come with a free night with no spend requirement.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit View Post
What about the business card?
Could pick it up but not eligible for SUB.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Could pick it up but not eligible for SUB.
1) Could you pick up the Brilliant?
2) Isnt the sign up bonus enough to justify the fee for a year - then you downgrade to the $95 Marriott card?
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
The Bevy and Bountiful (A Chase clone) are basically worse versions of the Hilton Surpass:

- $250 AF instead of $95 so that means you're starting $155 down in value from annual fee
- no PP access instead of 10 visits you can use flexibly (you and a guest 5 times, etc.)
- earns 2x/4x on everything/US supermarkets and dining and is capped vs. 3x/6x on US supermarkets, dining and gas stations, uncapped
- earn on Marriott spend (6x) is a LOT worse than Surpass earn at Hilton (12x)
- the night you earn at $15k is capped at 50k instead of good through the chain on weekends
- Marriott Gold is a joke compared to Hilton Gold (no breakfast benefit at all, no meaningful upgrades, you earn 18.5x Marriott spending on the Bevy/Bountiful as a Marriott Gold vs. 30x Hilton as a Gold using a Surpass)

Originally Posted by DallasEsq View Post
Really the only thing of any value you get (and definitely not worth $250) is Gold. You'd get that anyway by having the 30 nights from a biz and a consumer credit card, and those cards come with a free night with no spend requirement.
Assuming you are a hardcore Marriott loyalist and let's say you maximize your grocery/dining spend on the Bevy/Bountiful to the full 15k, you earn 60k points + a 50K FNC, assuming 75% value in points for an FNC (since a cert is less flexible than points) and .7 cpp and minus $250 AF that's $432.50 in value from maximizing the card on grocery/dining.

It's not nothing but you'd get $300 cash back on a no annual fee 2% cash back card. And that's maximizing it perfectly. Which is not bloody likely.

There's actually not-stupid cases for spending on the Hilton Surpass given that the $15k FNC is good throughout the chain (read: W=A, Maldives, etc.), but I can't see 50k Marriott FNCs getting you uber-premium rooms in a fully dynamic pricing world come 2023.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 22, 22 at 4:31 pm
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Since they're determined to use B names for all of their cards, I can only imagine that this one was destined to be the [barnyard term unsuitable for FT] until someone pointed out it would limit their marketing.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:59 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Im having a hard time figuring out why I would get this card over the $95 card.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:59 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
The Bevy and Bountiful (A Chase clone) are basically worse versions of the Hilton Surpass:

- $250 AF instead of $95 so that means you're starting $155 down in value from annual fee
- no PP access instead of 10 visits you can use flexibly (you and a guest 5 times, etc.)
- earns 2x/4x on everything/US supermarkets and dining and is capped vs. 3x/6x on US supermarkets, dining and gas stations, uncapped
- earn on Marriott spend (6x) is a LOT worse than Surpass earn at Hilton (12x)
- the night you earn at $15k is capped at 50k instead of good through the chain on weekends
- Marriott Gold is a joke compared to Hilton Gold (no breakfast benefit at all, no meaningful upgrades, you earn 18.5x Marriott spending on the Bevy/Bountiful as a Marriott Gold vs. 30x Hilton as a Gold using a Surpass)

Assuming you are a hardcore Marriott loyalist and let's say you maximize your grocery/dining spend on the Bevy/Bountiful to the full 15k, you earn 60k points + a 50K FNC, assuming 75% value in points for an FNC (since a cert is less flexible than points) and .7 cpp and minus $250 AF that's $432.50 in value from maximizing the card on grocery/dining.

It's not nothing but you'd get $300 cash back on a no annual fee 2% cash back card. And that's maximizing it perfectly. Which is not bloody likely.

There's actually not-stupid cases for spending on the Hilton Surpass given that the $15k FNC is good throughout the chain (read: W=A, Maldives, etc.), but I can't see 50k Marriott FNCs getting you uber-premium rooms in a fully dynamic pricing world come 2023.
There not even really anywhere in Hawaii where you could use a 50k cert now. Its kind of a joke for $250+15k spend.

Search this Thread