Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Old Sep 12, 22, 12:49 pm
  #91  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,574
Originally Posted by Schnit View Post
Did they are least scratch between their toes before reaching in for some food?
Adds a certain je ne sais quoi...

David
DELee is offline  
Old Sep 15, 22, 6:19 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,055
I just stayed at a RI which still had the full hot and cold array....hot were scrambled (eggs), 2 kinds of link sausage (chicken and pork), potatoes, and in the last chafing dish a bagel sandwich (egg, cheese). Two working waffle makers that really made great waffles. The usual fruit, yogurt, breads. Oatmeal with a ton of toppings. What was surprising, however, was that there were no sweet rolls - no Danish, muffins, etc.
GW McLintock likes this.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Sep 17, 22, 12:29 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Montral, Canada
Posts: 1,601
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I just stayed at a RI which still had the full hot and cold array....hot were scrambled (eggs), 2 kinds of link sausage (chicken and pork), potatoes, and in the last chafing dish a bagel sandwich (egg, cheese). Two working waffle makers that really made great waffles. The usual fruit, yogurt, breads. Oatmeal with a ton of toppings. What was surprising, however, was that there were no sweet rolls - no Danish, muffins, etc.
Exactly the same RI experience last week in Canada.
flyme2 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 22, 9:55 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta,Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott
Posts: 7
The goal seems to be to make the breakfast so unappealing that you won't have any of it. I've seen things go downhill for quite some time, and it gets worse, not better. There once was a time where the goal was to make things pleasant for the guest....
TXJeepGuy likes this.
TravellingITGuy is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:01 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
Posts: 13,415
I am at a TownePlace Suites outside of Pittsburgh and they have a... prefecture decent breakfast:
  • Fake scrambled eggs
  • Mini Canadian bacon and low-quality sausage patties (mostly TVP), OR slightly better sausage patties (actual meat) and mid-grade vegetarian sausage patties
  • Waffle iron
  • Assorted breads and bagels to toast
  • Muffins
  • Pre-packaged Quaker flavored oatmeal cups
  • Granola bars
  • Whole fruit
  • Three cereal choices from dispensers
  • Chobani yogurt
For me, at least, this is quite acceptable. The fake eggs look better than the Admirals Club fake eggs.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 18, 22 at 10:32 am
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:05 am
  #96  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,574
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
I am at a TownePlace Suites outside of Pittsburgh and they have a... prefecture decent breakfast:
  • Fake scrambled eggs
  • Mini Canadian bacon and low-quality sausage patties (mostly TVP), OR slightly better sausage patties (actual meat) and mid-grade vegetarian sausage patties
  • Waffle iron
  • Assorted breads and bagels to toast
  • Muffins
  • Pre-packaged Quaker flavored oatmeal cups
  • Granola bars
  • Whole fruit
  • Three cereal choices from dispensers
For me, at least, this is quite acceptable. The fake eggs look better than the Admirals Club fake eggs.

-J.
But do they have a better bounce after they roll off your plate, hit the floor and scoot around the room?

David
GW McLintock likes this.
DELee is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:12 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
I am at a TownePlace Suites outside of Pittsburgh and they have a... prefecture decent breakfast:
  • Fake scrambled eggs
  • Mini Canadian bacon and low-quality sausage patties (mostly TVP), OR slightly better sausage patties (actual meat) and mid-grade vegetarian sausage patties
  • Waffle iron
  • Assorted breads and bagels to toast
  • Muffins
  • Pre-packaged Quaker flavored oatmeal cups
  • Granola bars
  • Whole fruit
  • Three cereal choices from dispensers
For me, at least, this is quite acceptable. The fake eggs look better than the Admirals Club fake eggs.

-J.
Hopefully they also had some yogurt. Then I agree, that is a perfectly acceptable limited service hotel breakfast.

I am not sure how much of the variation in the breakfast offerings is due to phased rollout of the new Marriott Brand Standard breakfast vs. some properties choosing not to convert or only partially convert to it. I hope it is properties not converting to it. Time will tell....

--Jon
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:33 am
  #98  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
Posts: 13,415
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman View Post
Hopefully they also had some yogurt. Then I agree, that is a perfectly acceptable limited service hotel breakfast.

I am not sure how much of the variation in the breakfast offerings is due to phased rollout of the new Marriott Brand Standard breakfast vs. some properties choosing not to convert or only partially convert to it. I hope it is properties not converting to it. Time will tell....

--Jon
They did, and I just updated my list. Thanks for reminding me.

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:43 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,055
And I forgot to add at the RI that we also had 3 cereals - Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, and one other I can't remember.

I wish I had asked if this was the hotel's choice to continue the full offerings, or if and when they'd be converting to the pre-packaged stuff.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:24 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New England
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, United Premier Gold
Posts: 4,976
What if we created a wiki to track which properties are serving what?
diburning is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:30 pm
  #101  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
Posts: 13,415
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
And I forgot to add at the RI that we also had 3 cereals - Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, and one other I can't remember.

I wish I had asked if this was the hotel's choice to continue the full offerings, or if and when they'd be converting to the pre-packaged stuff.
We had Froot Loops, Kashi granola something, and some third brown cereal.

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
What if we created a wiki to track which properties are serving what?
At the rate the breakfasts are changing and the sheer number of properties, that might be a little too cumbersome.

-J.
SPN Lifer likes this.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Oct 30, 22, 3:31 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 28
I just finished a road trip of Northern California, staying at various lower-end Marriott properties along the way. Here are my breakfast reports from the properties that offered a free one:

Aloft Mountain View - They do not offer a free breakfast. However, I innocently asked the front desk one morning and they just gave me a voucher for a free breakfast, saying that the chef showed up a bit late that morning. Scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, plenty of cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee and tea.

Fairfield Rohnert Park - Scrambled eggs, sausages, cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee and tea.

Fairfield Oakhurst - Scrambled & hard boiled eggs, meat and vegetarian sausages, bacon, plenty of cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee and tea.

Springfield Madera - Pre-packaged bacon, egg and cheese on an English muffin, fruit, juices, coffee and tea.

Fairfield Santa Cruz (Mission St.) - Scrambled eggs, sausages, cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee and tea.

I'm not particularly picky about my free breakfasts, especially at this price point, so I was quite happy with these offerings. Even the Springfield's pre-packaged sandwiches were nice and hot. I'll also say that the customer service at all of these hotels was really good, friendly and helpful. None officially recognized my measly Gold status at check-in, but the Rohnert Park location gave me a little gift bag of bottles of water and some chocolate and the Oakhurst location granted me a late check-out with no issues. I did get nice rooms at all the locations, either in quieter parts of the building and/or high floors with nice views.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Norexan; Oct 31, 22 at 9:42 am
Norexan is offline  
Old Oct 31, 22, 9:34 am
  #103  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 51,506
Fairfield Lincoln (NE) Airport: normal, brand-standard breakfast. No excessive pre-packaging of stuff, although they did have the little sausage sandwiches. They had scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, although I didn't try them. They had cereal, bagels, fruit, and cream cheese. Juices, tea, coffee, yogurt. Only thing missing was bacon, but I've always found the bacon at the lower-end brands to be soggy and unappealing, so I didn't really miss it.

Adequate hotel. Pleasant staff. From the guest's perspective, the hotel appeared staffed correctly. For 20,000 points on a football weekend when paid rates are $250+ for the motel brands and $400+ for the better hotels by the stadium, it satisfied our needs.
Norexan likes this.
pinniped is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread