Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Schnit
I agree completely, about 75% or more of my hotel stays are either in RI or Homewood Suites. Traveling with kids and keeping kosher, having a full kitchen makes a tremendous difference. The breakfast is always a nice plus for us, since we cannot eat most of the hot stuff anyway,

Whenever its feasible, I try to make sure my points stays are RI rather than cash.

I have stayed in a couple where the upstairs is an open loft, is that what you are referring to? They are cool looking but completely impractical. The ones I stayed in, downstairs bedroom with doors is where the king bed is, and upstairs is 2 queens. But when traveling with kids you want them where there are multiple beds, but my kids are asleep before 8. Then we need to lock ourselves in our room, and not in the kitchen, since its open and the noise travels right upstairs. Extremely poorly designed!
I think it's those you mentioned. I have never travelled close to any of them. I wish my kids were able to fall asleep before 8, they were playing with each other during bed time and very often Mr needed to stay in bed with them until they fell asleep.
DELee likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I agree completely, about 75% or more of my hotel stays are either in RI or Homewood Suites. Traveling with kids and keeping kosher, having a full kitchen makes a tremendous difference. The breakfast is always a nice plus for us, since we cannot eat most of the hot stuff anyway,
I hate the new Homewoods that don't have full kitchens! If it's an extended stay with family, I don't want to have to microwave pizza or order takeout every night.

RI, as far as I know, is the only brand where you can count on a full kitchen with oven plus stovetop.

EDIT: Crap! Other posters have examples of RI's without full kitchens, so hmmmm.... I sadly stand corrected - I truly thought this was an RI distinguishing feature.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by pinniped; Sep 1, 2022 at 1:37 pm
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
RI, as far as I know, is the only brand where you can count on a full kitchen with oven plus stovetop.
You need to check out the pictures, I wouldn't count on that.

Residence Inn Philadelphia City Center had no oven in any room. They even had no kitchen rooms.
Mystic non of the pictures showed an oven, but our room did have. Unfortunately it sparked when in use so we couldn't use it.

Those are the ones this year that did not have. I know I have seen it before, but cannot remember where.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I hate the new Homewoods that don't have full kitchens! If it's an extended stay with family, I don't want to have to microwave pizza or order takeout every night.

I have stayed at several RIs without an oven (1 bedroom). I think the 2 bedrooms have ovens and the same goes for TPS.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by nacho
I have stayed at several RIs without an oven (1 bedroom). I think the 2 bedrooms have ovens and the same goes for TPS.
Correct, generally only 2 Bedroom suites at RI's have ovens. YMMV.....

--Jon
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you go outside BonVoy since Homewood is outside BonVoy anyway IHG Staybridge has

a functional kitchen but no oven IIRC. At least 2 cooktops and full size fridge. We really like this brand even we are only 2 adults. The new ones built in past few years seem all have functional kitchens, incl one we stayed a few months ago that is very close to the "Guitar Hotel" in Ft. Lauderdale, just to use up an expiring FN cert - it has a working kitchen just not as big as RI's is.

We also stayed for 3 nights at RI Clear Water downtown to use up the June 30 expired FN certs. That RI pt redemption is Studio not one bedroom. But their breakfasts were acceptable, only bagels were prepackaged. Yogurts were Chobani brand Greek Yogurts. Hot dishes were self-served. The things lacking were the fruits. Other RIs and Fairfields we stayed in March from Jacksonville to Orange Beach, AL, all had self-served hot breakfast items, and all of them had fresh blue berries and strawberries.

I think it is really up to the owners of the franchisees to decide how to skim the items under the name of Covid-19 precaution. Not all owners are this bad. Though because Marriott gives the carte blanche, the guests are left to the owners' mercy or consciences.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 31, 2022 at 10:57 am
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've occasionally heated up leftovers or a microwaveable meal and of course the popcorn RI's had, but what all do you "cook" in these hotels? I can see in a vrbo rental, etc., but honestly I can't imagine "cooking" a full meal in a RI.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've occasionally heated up leftovers or a microwaveable meal and of course the popcorn RI's had, but what all do you "cook" in these hotels? I can see in a vrbo rental, etc., but honestly I can't imagine "cooking" a full meal in a RI.
Those are what we normally do, but occasionally we do some veggie stir fry when we prefer cooked veggies over salads. With many half-prepared frozen meals available in grocery stores you can really make some nice meals with very little efforts.

For examples, I recently found a local grocery's own private label frozen seafood turn out to be very good - Cajun Shrimp, and white wine Mussels. They are all raw, uncooked, and coated with sauce individually or crumbed individually. Then you cook in a skillet on stove top. The outcomes are better than you go to a restaurant and then wait 20 min for the meal which often come up short in taste and temperature.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:24 pm

Depends on how much you consider cooking. With the kids we have many times brought a baked mac and cheese or something like that, which will reheat much nicer in an oven than the microwave. We have many times brought prepped but not yet cooked stuff with us to cook in the oven when we get there.

I met someone at a RI in January that was living there for 6 months while consulting on a job. His wife was retired and there with him. So they ate breakfast in the lobby but she cooked the other 2 meals everyday. They werent going to do take out for 2 meals a day, everyday, for 6 months.
nacho likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Summer of 2021 we stayed at the RI Myrtle Beach, SC. We had treated my sister-in-law and my twin nieces to a week at the beach. They don't like to dine out very often, so we cooked most of our dinners in the rooms. Menu included Taco's with chicken, peppers and onions; Pasta Primavera w/Shrimp, Hamburgers and Hot Dogs, etc. It helped to have two adjacent rooms so we could use the 2 burner stoves in both rooms (no ovens). Took a bit of juggling but we got it done and had nice meals. Since I knew we would be cooking more, I did bring some better cookware with me from home for this trip.

Even when we are traveling on our own, I may still cook a dinner or two in the room. Did that for a couple of stays at the RI Bethany Beach, DE. It is nice to have the option and the RI kitchens are workable for that purpose. RI's with grills are even better. Opens up even more options. Granted if I am at a timeshare or other property with a larger kitchen (4 burner stove and oven), I will probably cook even more since it is more conducive.

--Jon
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:53 pm

I guess I think of cooking as really from scratch, whereas I need lots of ingredients, herbs and spices. I can see where some of these options are really quite simple.

I think what troubles me is not me, but others....fear of fire is someone falls asleep, for example, I just have an overactive imagination.

One time we did stay in an RI or similar where someone of a different culture cooked a traditional meal which completely stunk up the place, and I would never do that to anyone.

But thanks for enlightening me.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:06 pm

I think what troubles me is not me, but others....fear of fire is someone falls asleep, for example, I just have an overactive imagination.

One time we did stay in an RI or similar where someone of a different culture cooked a traditional meal which completely stunk up the place, and I would never do that to anyone.
Both of those apply to any apartment complex you could live in. If your neighbor falls asleep they could cause a fire. Or they could be cooking stinky food.

I lived in an apartment building that always smelled like ethnic foods. Just walking through the hall it would take on the smells.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I think it's those you mentioned. I have never travelled close to any of them. I wish my kids were able to fall asleep before 8, they were playing with each other during bed time and very often Mr needed to stay in bed with them until they fell asleep.
That's their way of providing free birth control.

David
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I do really like the RI/TPS concept, what I don't like is that the newer RI don't have an oven and 2 hobs for the smaller suites. There are also more of that have a lot of studios instead of 1 bedroom. I would very much like to try the bi-level suites in the earlier generations of RI before they are all gone though.

My RI stays are almost all on points as cash rate usually is prohibitive.
You need to check out the pictures, I wouldn't count on that.

Residence Inn Philadelphia City Center had no oven in any room. They even had no kitchen rooms.
Mystic non of the pictures showed an oven, but our room did have. Unfortunately it sparked when in use so we couldn't use it.

Those are the ones this year that did not have. I know I have seen it before, but cannot remember where.
Well, apparently there are microwaves that have a convection feature: Reviews for Hyatt House & Place at Tempe / Phoenix / University (Post 36) and Reviews for Hyatt House & Place at Tempe / Phoenix / University (Post 39)

David
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:25 pm

My home oven has a convection feature. Ask me how many times I've used it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.