Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
On Marriott Facebook groups I saw a GM posting that the new breakfast costs the hotels more than the previous offerings.

But I suspect this new offerings would give hotel a chance to not needing breakfast attendances so the hotels save money in that sense.

I am ok with the spinach quiche but one of my kids really misses the oatmeal. She really dislikes the instant ones (I agree).
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBa
I am surprised when avid travelers still hope they get decent breakfast at a mid to lower end hotel. There are so many alternatives breakfast places out there. I stopped years ago, eating breakfast at the hotels.
That's all well and good for you but on a work trip convenience is a big deal to me. Being able to walk from my room, grab something, come back and start my day means more to me.

Furthermore, this is Morganton, NC. Hardly a hotbed of haute breakfast cuisine.

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
My mantra for years has been you get what you pay for with free breakfast.

I only ever grab it if I'm time crunched.
That presupposes these hotels charge cheap rates. I burned a FNA at this property because the cash rate was well over $200.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
...That presupposes these hotels charge cheap rates. I burned a FNA at this property because the cash rate was well over $200.
$200 is the new $99.
cesco.g, lsquare, EdofFX and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by flyme2
$200 is the new $99.
For now.

David
flyme2, lsquare, EdofFX and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No matter what the rate is, the breakfast isn't "free" - it's an expected part of the product just like a comfortable bed, fast Wifi, working plumbing, and electricity.

Fairfield occupies a premium position in the roadside motel niche - there is nearly always a cheaper option in towns big enough to have a Fairfield Inn. So expecting that product to be delivered well at whatever price point is applicable for that market is not unreasonable.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
No matter what the rate is, the breakfast isn't "free" - it's an expected part of the product just like a comfortable bed, fast Wifi, working plumbing, and electricity.

Fairfield occupies a premium position in the roadside motel niche - there is nearly always a cheaper option in towns big enough to have a Fairfield Inn. So expecting that product to be delivered well at whatever price point is applicable for that market is not unreasonable.
Totally agreed, and it's crazy to see some people said the former breakfast option was inedible.

Last month we were in Midwest and FFI and SHS were cheaper than IHG/Hilton equivalent.
CorSter likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:36 pm

I'm curious as to how Wyndham (FKA Cendant) compares?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's not a program I actively participate in but I've had 1-night stays in a Wyndham Garden and a Baymont. Both were newish and in pretty good shape - airport hotels in my case.

Well, I've also stayed in a couple of their "value" brands but those were college roadtrips in the 90's before those brands were affiliated with Wyndham. Not gonna hold the scuzzy Super 8 in East Lafayette on a football weekend in '95 against the loyalty program today.

I've never stayed in any of the more upscale Wyndham offerings.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I checked out of a FI in Seattle this morning and my experience was just as bad. They had one chafing dish filled with the english muffin sandwiches all pre-opened and warmed, the other with "jalapeno cheese souffles" I was down at 7:30 and they were already absolutely dry as a bone and the tops of the "souffles" were inedible from being overcooked.

There was also a sign posted in the elevator explaining "Marriott Brand Standards" for housekeeping is no longer daily. It was kind of comical considering my rate was about $400 a night all in after parking.
That actually sounds on par with my FI experience but I stayed at the SeaTac one…
Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Maybe they’re getting closer to bringing back the Jimmy Dean sandwiches!

Happy almost 10 year anniversary to my thread: Where'd the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches go?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed at a Wingate by Wyndham in Page AZ back in December, the breakfast was better than the Marriott standard. There was actually daily housekeeping too.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Maybe they’re getting closer to bringing back the Jimmy Dean sandwiches!

Happy almost 10 year anniversary to my thread: Where'd the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches go?
Hyatt Place in Chicago River North has them.

I wouldn't mind them out of my own toaster oven but sitting under a heat lamp for a couple hours just leaves the biscuit part soggy.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG
[QUOTE=nacho;34528339]Totally agreed, and it's crazy to see some people said the former breakfast option was inedible.

People have different tastes and opinions. I think the liquid eggs are inedible at the Marriott properties, okay at a couple of Hyatt Places, and also inedible at Hampton Inns. I preferred the packaged sandwiches at a couple of Residence Inns earlier this year. The one where I am now doesn't have anything packaged, so I get a bagel. The Residence Inn that only had the packaged sandwiches didn't have any bread at all. The breakfast person said they don't have anything to toast now, so got rid of the toaster in the main kitchen. Hampton Inn people don't know how to cook oatmeal usually, either. It's often just flakes floating in water. Some Hyatt Places have gotten the "good" oatmeal back, but some still just have the packages. I'm at my current Residence Inn to get the Tennis Channel, so bought some pimiento cheese to go on the bagel. Unfortunately, ESPN has a lock on the U.S. Open this year, so it was a bad plan to stay because of the Tennis Channel. CMK10, you have your one night stays, and seem to like the eggs okay. But I've also used the sausage patties on the bagels, and there is usually peanut butter. Holiday Inn Express supposedly has a good cinnamon bun, but the last HIX I was in didn't even have that.

Last edited by AmericanCasey; Aug 30, 2022 at 5:51 am
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Last summer I stayed at a SpringHill Suites in Long Island and AFAIK they were one of the first to bring back hot breakfast... which was a bagged/steamed egg white sandwich on a whole wheat bun of sorts. Was good for my diet I guess but looked pretty gross.

-J.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Last summer I stayed at a SpringHill Suites in Long Island and AFAIK they were one of the first to bring back hot breakfast... which was a bagged/steamed egg white sandwich on a whole wheat bun of sorts. Was good for my diet I guess but looked pretty gross.

-J.
ON Long Island. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.