Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Late check out is no longer guarantee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late check out is no longer guarantee?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
One does not need to be a lawyer to know the courts have been siding with businesses despite very clear language.

One famous case is "lifetime" benefits stripped by United Airlines - United not only won it was affirmed by a Federal Appeals Court.

JD Supra: Recent Federal Court Rulings Favor Airlines in Frequent-Flyer Cases

Another against United was the disbanding of the Silver Wings Lifetime program - United won that case in Federal Court also.

United Airlines Wins Case Over ‘Lifetime’ Benefits | Courthouse News Service
Those were both situations where someone had a lifetime benefit, but where the benefit was subject to change in the future. A better way to put it is that they were granted the benefit on an ongoing basis with no particular end date, but that United could end the benefit if it wanted to. The Bonvoy late checkout situation is different. Nobody is claiming that they couldn't remove the benefit, even without advance notice. But they haven't. The benefit is still in the T&C's - it's just that some properties don't want to honor it. A situation analogous to the above cases would be if Bonvoy removed the guaranteed late checkout benefit in the middle of a program year, and someone claimed that they had earned status that year with the specific purpose of using that benefit and that they believed the contract obligated Bonvoy to maintain the benefit at least through the end of the current year.

Originally Posted by swag
I think this has been discussed on other threads, but in my case, these were beach vacations.
- I wanted to spend the day on the beach, then head back to the room to shower, change, and pack. That's a different situation than if you plan to physically remain in the room the whole time.
Yep. And not just from the risk of having your stuff moved out. After the standard checkout time (or whatever late checkout time they were willing to give you), your room key is likely to no longer work. Not a problem if you plan to stay in the room between when they want you to leave and 4pm, but it is a problem if you want leave your stuff in there and then come back at 3:30.

Last edited by Steve M; Aug 18, 2022 at 8:55 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
On the flip side, sometimes you get "lucky" and even hotels that don't have to offer late checkout do so. I was at the Gaylord National Harbor for a conference and they let me keep my room until 4pm. Of course I started the conversation by asking for 6pm, so maybe that's the trick.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
I just received an email that my hotel will be having maintenance this weekend and kicking everyone out by noon and won't even be able to hold bags. It's NYC and I am obviously annoyed due to hoping to utilize a later checkout and now hotels in the area are significantly more expensive due to last minute bookings. I emailed the hotel to try to work through a solution and received no response. I guess what would even be an appropriate solution or response? They obviously can't offer 4pm checkout due to circumstances outside their control but its still a bad customer experience.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by RK23
I just received an email that my hotel will be having maintenance this weekend and kicking everyone out by noon and won't even be able to hold bags...its still a bad customer experience.
And the property's name is ........?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by ohmark
And the property's name is ........?
W Union Square
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I just received an email that my hotel will be having maintenance this weekend and kicking everyone out by noon and won't even be able to hold bags. It's NYC and I am obviously annoyed due to hoping to utilize a later checkout and now hotels in the area are significantly more expensive due to last minute bookings. I emailed the hotel to try to work through a solution and received no response. I guess what would even be an appropriate solution or response? They obviously can't offer 4pm checkout due to circumstances outside their control but its still a bad customer experience.
Maintenance is outside their control?
Tanic, MSPeconomist and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Presumably the hotel scheduled the maintenance or at least approved the schedule for it, so this is not outside of their control.
Tanic likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Presumably the hotel scheduled the maintenance or at least approved the schedule for it, so this is not outside of their control.
Unless it is an emergency such as burst pipes.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
Unless it is an emergency such as burst pipes.
If the hotel sent an email to a guest on Thursday about maintenance over the weekend, I would assume that it's not an emergency.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the hotel sent an email to a guest on Thursday about maintenance over the weekend, I would assume that it's not an emergency.
Good point. I missed that.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Me getting sick is outside my control, yet I doubt the hotel will will refund my payment for no show.

The hotel did fail the honor the guaranteed 4 PM checkout. It's just too bad Marriott does not have any defined compensation.
SPN Lifer and hotelprof like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just fought at an AC Hotel to have my guaranteed 4PM checkout. Checkout is at 11AM, and they initially said they can't do past 12PM because of a big event in the city. When I replied that it is a guaranteed benefit, not subject to availability, they said in the app that after speaking to the manager, they can do 3PM. I accepted the 3PM checkout. Will I be staying until 3:30PM likely? You bet I will.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
On the flip side, sometimes you get "lucky" and even hotels that don't have to offer late checkout do so. I was at the Gaylord National Harbor for a conference and they let me keep my room until 4pm. Of course I started the conversation by asking for 6pm, so maybe that's the trick.
That is my recent experience. In the last month. Courtyard Waikiki, Westin Hapuna Beach, and the Marriott Waikiki all granted my 4pm without batting an eye. My rare denials all seem to come from mid-tier properties, likely due to absence of housekeeping in the evening.

as An aside, a 1600 check out can be invaluable leaving Hawaii by red-eye
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I just fought at an AC Hotel to have my guaranteed 4PM checkout. Checkout is at 11AM, and they initially said they can't do past 12PM because of a big event in the city. When I replied that it is a guaranteed benefit, not subject to availability, they said in the app that after speaking to the manager, they can do 3PM. I accepted the 3PM checkout. Will I be staying until 3:30PM likely? You bet I will.
Stay until 3:59pm out of spite. I hate when properties pull this crap.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I asked for a 2pm checkout at the W Chicago City Center and was instantly granted it by friendly front-desk people. No hesitation whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.