Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Late check out is no longer guarantee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late check out is no longer guarantee?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by gudugan
I

If it truly booked out I understand and happily take 2pm or whatever.
But, how do you know if "they are truly booked out"?
That is the usual claim when the benefit is denied. I would guess that it is rarely true.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Tanic
Correct. There is no guest compensation for denied guaranteed late checkout.
Maybe more accurate to say that the guest compensation for denied guaranteed late checkout is not specified.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
The flip side is that if Marriott guarantees a benefit but doesn't define compensation when that benefit is not given, then the presumption should be that properties are not allowed to deny the benefit and Marriott has some mechanism to make properties comply in the moment. Otherwise I don't see how the benefit can be considered a guarantee? A guarantee on paper is worthless. If a property denies late check out, and Marriott has no way to enforce it, do we have a breach of contract situation that now opens Marriott up to claims on that basis? Can you dispute the room charges with your credit card because the property failed to provide all of the services that were supposed to be provided?

I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV, but that's my layman's interpretation... Would love to have our resident lawyers (or Lurkers?) weigh in here...
In my opinion Section 4.1.c ii gives Marriott and properties an out. Local policy may prevail over Loyalty Program standards at Participating Properties, and some Elite membership benefits may not be available at some locations.

Anyway - the only real recourse in my opinion is: 1) Don't stay at the hotel again and 2) Post reviews here, on Marriott.com, and other sites such as Tripadvisor.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
In my opinion Section 4.1.c ii gives Marriott and properties an out. Local policy may prevail over Loyalty Program standards at Participating Properties, and some Elite membership benefits may not be available at some locations.

Anyway - the only real recourse in my opinion is: 1) Don't stay at the hotel again and 2) Post reviews here, on Marriott.com, and other sites such as Tripadvisor.
Well, that's a very broad out, isn't it?

As a customer, I would expect to have the information on which properties might have local policies that prevail or benefits that aren't available to be readily accessible at the time of booking, so that I can make an informed decision. As a customer, I make a purchase decision based in part (sometimes maybe a significant part) on the benefits the company promises me as an elite member. If a property can choose not to honor any of those benefits and not tell me about it until after I have arrived, how's that right (or legal)? If they tell me up front -- at property X benefit Y may not be available, or whatever, then that's fine, and then it is up to me on whether I book that property or not.

I have yet to be in a situation where late checkout was a big enough deal to me to make a stink about it and where the property wasn't within their "rights" as per the program (i.e. convention or resort), but I will certainly raise my voice if I do find myself in such a situation.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by gudugan
I really enjoy late check out (esp 4pm) but I understand it’s not always possible.

Let’s say a hotel is at full occupancy and one day 50% of the hotel is leaving and all the rooms are being re occupied. If all the Platinum+ members request 4pm late checkout then they effectively can’t turn some percentage of the rooms on time which in turn leads to elites checking in being upset and also potential upgrades being messed up.

If it truly booked out I understand and happily take 2pm or whatever.
I don't. I don't happily let hotels turn their problem into my problem. I stay until 4pm anyway if I need to!
SPN Lifer, Tanic, rhg247 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Herb687
I don't. I don't happily let hotels turn their problem into my problem. I stay until 4pm anyway if I need to!
Yes, I have never backed down on this. If the hotels want the benefits of participating in the Marriott Bonvoy programme, then they have to accept some of the challenges required when honouring elite benefits.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, rhg247 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It is much, much easier to unilaterally exercise one's late check-out as guaranteed by the Terms & Conditions if at least one guest will be remaining inside the room during those final several hours.
jtp1947 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by rt23456p
Is Batam Marriott a resort? Resort don't have guarantee.
Is there any official list of which property is Resort/Convention Hotel? I cannot find it. SPG used to have a list.

"Resort" in the hotel name may not officially make them Resort hotel, at least, this was during SPG time.
hotelprof likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
At the Autograph Collection Grotta Giusti Hotel and Thermal Resort in Monsummano Terme (Tuscany, Italy), as a Titanium, only after asking and asking I got a maximum of 1pm "late" checkout....no later than that
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
At the Autograph Collection Grotta Giusti Hotel and Thermal Resort in Monsummano Terme (Tuscany, Italy), as a Titanium, only after asking and asking I got a maximum of 1pm "late" checkout....no later than that
Sounds like a resort, which is excluded from the Guarantee.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post # 38)
Is there any official list of which property is Resort/Convention Hotel? I cannot find it. SPG used to have a list.

"Resort" in the hotel name may not officially make them Resort hotel, at least, this was during SPG time.
Here it is. I keep it bookmarked in the Marriott folder of my cell phone.

https://hotel-events.marriott.com/ma...esort-network/

Beaucoup Bonvy!
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Here it is. I keep it bookmarked in the Marriott folder of my cell phone.

https://hotel-events.marriott.com/ma...esort-network/

Beaucoup Bonvy!
Are you sure that's the whole list? I was told by the Ambassador team that W South Beach would be a resort and it doesn't appear on this list..
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I'm not sure. Maybe there is an updated list around somewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ohmark
Maybe more accurate to say that the guest compensation for denied guaranteed late checkout is not specified.
Of the 3 or 4 times I've been denied 4 pm checkout, I've never once been offered any kind of compensation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by canael
Are you sure that's the whole list? I was told by the Ambassador team that W South Beach would be a resort and it doesn't appear on this list..
Well definitly not the whole list, as only cover US properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.