Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Late check out is no longer guarantee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late check out is no longer guarantee?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
You'll be able to tell if the property (and Marriott) see itself as late-checkout-exempt if the late checkout option doesn't show up in Mobile Check-In. Normally, there's a drop-down time slider, but resorts (and classified convention properties) won't show it.
That's a great tip! If I use Mobile Check-In, I'll get the 4pm late checkout when I need it, without having to argue or negotiate at the front desk. I seem to have a problem about half the time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by gudugan
Agree completely. Based on OP's screenshot this is a resort or convention property so late checkout is not guaranteed
No. My screen shot is not for Resort hotel.

I am suppose to do another online check in, but the apps keep showing error.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by lingua101
No. My screen shot is not for Resort hotel.

I am suppose to do another online check in, but the apps keep showing error.
Ok what property is it?
could also be IT glitch…
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I was just denied late checkout at the Greensboro (NC) Downtown Marriott. The front desk person said late checkout is only on availability. I pointed out that Marriott’s own terms guaranteed a 4pm check out for Titanium members. After some back and forth she offered 30 minutes, which I declined. She even had the nerve to say that since this is a convention hotel they are exempt from the rule. I politely pointed out that it’s not a convention hotel. At one point she said “I work here, I know the rules”. To which I responded “I am pretty sure I understand the Bonvoy rules better than you and many Marriott employees do”.

To compound all this, I was given an occupied room by on check in!!!

Honestly this is the final straw with Marriott (and Hilton for that matter) regardless of status and will stay with them only if benefits me financially. I am officially a free agent… thank you Snarky Front desk “Lady” at the Greensboro Marriott.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, UA-NYC and 2 others like this.

Last edited by jamflyer; Aug 2, 2022 at 7:36 am
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by jamflyer
I was just denied late checkout at the Greensboro (NC) Downtown Marriott. The front desk person said late checkout is only on availability. I pointed out that Marriott’s own terms guaranteed a 4pm check out for Titanium members. After some back and forth she offered 30 minutes, which I declined. She even had the nerve to say that since this is a convention hotel they are exempt from the rule. I politely pointed out that it’s not a convention hotel. At one point she said “I work here, I know the rules”. To which I responded “I am pretty sure I understand the Bonvoy rules better than you and many Marriott employees do”.
Did you file a claim for the elite benefits guarantee?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
As far as I know, there is no points/cash for Late check out being declined.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Oddly the T&Cs are not clear on what benefits are or are not subject to the Elite Benefits Guarantee. They only state "select" Elite benefits. The term "Elite Benefits Guarantee" is not mentioned anywhere else in the T&Cs except in section 4.1.d, and that section does not itemize any benefits except for this passing reference to food and beverage. This section only talks about dollar limitations, qualified rates and stays, exempt properties, etc.

4.1.d. Members with Elite Status ("Elite Member") will receive guaranteed compensation for select Elite benefits in the event those benefits are not available during an Elite Member’s stay ("Elite Benefits Guarantee"). Due to the global pandemic, participating hotels may offer a food and beverage or lounge alternative for the benefit based on local guidelines or the hotel’s operational impacts related to COVID-19.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:03 pm

Oddly the T&Cs are not clear on what benefits are or are not subject to the Elite Benefits Guarantee. They only state "select" Elite benefits. The term "Elite Benefits Guarantee" is not mentioned anywhere else in the T&Cs except in section 4.1.d, and that section does not itemize any benefits except for this passing reference to food and beverage. This section only talks about dollar limitations, qualified rates and stays, exempt properties, etc.

4.1.d. Members with Elite Status ("Elite Member") will receive guaranteed compensation for select Elite benefits in the event those benefits are not available during an Elite Member’s stay ("Elite Benefits Guarantee"). Due to the global pandemic, participating hotels may offer a food and beverage or lounge alternative for the benefit based on local guidelines or the hotel’s operational impacts related to COVID-19.
Most of the guaranteed benefits like Welcome Gift have compensation clearly defined in T&C
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I did not. Its not worth the effort and hassle. I can't see myself paying out of pocket to ever stay at a Marriott in the forseeable future. Thats the best way I know to show my unhappiness.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Correct. There is no guest compensation for denied guaranteed late checkout.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:04 pm

Most of the guaranteed benefits like Welcome Gift have compensation clearly defined in T&C
That's an interesting perspective and one I hadn't considered. The flip side is that if Marriott guarantees a benefit but doesn't define compensation when that benefit is not given, then the presumption should be that properties are not allowed to deny the benefit and Marriott has some mechanism to make properties comply in the moment. Otherwise I don't see how the benefit can be considered a guarantee? A guarantee on paper is worthless. If a property denies late check out, and Marriott has no way to enforce it, do we have a breach of contract situation that now opens Marriott up to claims on that basis? Can you dispute the room charges with your credit card because the property failed to provide all of the services that were supposed to be provided?

I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV, but that's my layman's interpretation... Would love to have our resident lawyers (or Lurkers?) weigh in here...
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:06 pm

That's an interesting perspective and one I hadn't considered. The flip side is that if Marriott guarantees a benefit but doesn't define compensation when that benefit is not given, then the presumption should be that properties are not allowed to deny the benefit and Marriott has some mechanism to make properties comply in the moment. Otherwise I don't see how the benefit can be considered a guarantee? A guarantee on paper is worthless. If a property denies late check out, and Marriott has no way to enforce it, do we have a breach of contract situation that now opens Marriott up to claims on that basis? Can you dispute the room charges with your credit card because the property failed to provide all of the services that were supposed to be provided?

I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV, but that's my layman's interpretation... Would love to have our resident lawyers (or Lurkers?) weigh in here...
Totally agree and this whole thing has been discussed and debated at length on FT.

I don't know the legal side of it, but on the ground, the experiences sound like:
  • In Asia, like everything else, this benefit is almost always honoured (often proactively)
  • In US most FS properties generally honor it, but other properties are often extremely reluctant and frequently deny it.
  • in other countries, generally most properties will honor the guarantee
I won't try to dispute this with my bank as i have nothing to show as documentation
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I really enjoy late check out (esp 4pm) but I understand it’s not always possible.

Let’s say a hotel is at full occupancy and one day 50% of the hotel is leaving and all the rooms are being re occupied. If all the Platinum+ members request 4pm late checkout then they effectively can’t turn some percentage of the rooms on time which in turn leads to elites checking in being upset and also potential upgrades being messed up.

If it truly booked out I understand and happily take 2pm or whatever.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
I really enjoy late check out (esp 4pm) but I understand it’s not always possible.

Let’s say a hotel is at full occupancy and one day 50% of the hotel is leaving and all the rooms are being re occupied. If all the Platinum+ members request 4pm late checkout then they effectively can’t turn some percentage of the rooms on time which in turn leads to elites checking in being upset and also potential upgrades being messed up.

If it truly booked out I understand and happily take 2pm or whatever.
In lot of cases, the denial is not because of this, the primary reason is that in Limited Service properties like RI, they have to pay extra to do housekeeping at 4 Pam as that's often outside housekeeping working hours.
This is why denials are more prominent in Limited Service properties. I have had multiple instances where RIs won't allow late check-out even if the next night occupancy is at 50% for this reason.

​​​​​
cmd320 and gudugan like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I was surprised at a Courtyard yesterday I did request a 4PM Via app and the Front desk asked if I needed late check out, I said 4PM and they gave it to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.