Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

can't search marriott.com by country (South Korea)...is it just me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

using marriott.com to try to find all the marriott/bonvoy hotels in South Korea. there are apparently 33, but I can't get to them via the website...

want to narrow down a stay somewhere nice...hubby is getting results in spain(?!) and I'm not coming up with much unless I search by city, which is a bit labor intensive. I'm wondering if this is a known issue with bonvoy and South Korea or something I'm doing wrong. anyone having similar issues?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
using marriott.com to try to find all the marriott/bonvoy hotels in South Korea. there are apparently 33, but I can't get to them via the website...

want to narrow down a stay somewhere nice...hubby is getting results in spain(?!) and I'm not coming up with much unless I search by city, which is a bit labor intensive. I'm wondering if this is a known issue with bonvoy and South Korea or something I'm doing wrong. anyone having similar issues?
I think the issue is specific to that country. It's listed as "South Korea" on the main Destinations map, but that isn't the country's actual name, of course. It's just a commonly used English name, like West Germany once was. The country might very well be "Republic of Korea" or something like that in the actual search engine. I just tried now, and could see there are 33 properties there, but when I click on the link on the map, I get zero results. Japan and Italy, on the other hand, worked fine when I tried just now.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by James Luckard
I think the issue is specific to that country. It's listed as "South Korea" on the main Destinations map, but that isn't the country's actual name, of course. It's just a commonly used English name, like West Germany once was. The country might very well be "Republic of Korea" or something like that in the actual search engine. I just tried now, and could see there are 33 properties there, but when I click on the link on the map, I get zero results. Japan and Italy, on the other hand, worked fine when I tried just now.
thanks for the response, it's definitely specific to South Korea.

like your Japan example, Thailand works fine, although it's officially the 'Kingdom of Thailand,' so I'm thinking it's a bonvoy website coding problem. was mostly wondering if anyone else had noticed. if not, that also explains why it hasn't been fixed! really odd and annoying that the results, if you get them, are a bunch of hotels in Spain.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by James Luckard
The country might very well be "Republic of Korea" or something like that in the actual search engine
Correct : the listed address of all the properties is Republic of Korea, not South Korea.

South Korea is still listed as a search term, but finds nothing.

Republic of Korea is also listed, but that doesn't work either.

Searching for Korea finds hotels all over the place, including Spain.

Looks very much like a website bug.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:54 am

I've heard that South Korea has very weird rules about access to maps data and what can be displayed by third parties or non Korean entities. Apple and Google maps were incomplete and couldn't provide good data because of the rules which made it difficult to navigate when I was there in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.