Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Welcome Gift Choice is not an option anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Welcome Gift Choice is not an option anymore

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have it the other way for Marriott brand stays. I always choose points when checking in on the app
???
Points is the default when you check-in via the app. IIRC, it expressly says you have to see the front desk if you want something else.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
???
Points is the default when you check-in via the app. IIRC, it expressly says you have to see the front desk if you want something else.
And, the OP here appears to have been explicitly denied his request by the Marriott Marquis front desk.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ohmark
And, the OP here appears to have been explicitly denied his request by the Marriott Marquis front desk.
Yes, I get that. A poster upthread suggested the App gives you a choice. It does not.

As for OP's experience, an all too common violation of T&C from yet another renegade Marriott property. I do wish OP would name the specific property so people can make informed decisions when they choose where to stay.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by m0mo
Marriott Marquis
As others have suggested, you really should name the specific property, so other travelers will know what they're faced with.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by yrs
Is there a way to indicate preference of a welcome gift choice? I checked in the profile of my account, but was not able to locate it.
Full service hotels under the Marriott Rewards program would have a menu card that the guest would check their welcome gift preference and return to the FD. It was often an extensive list of fruit and cheese trays, beer or wine buckets, dessert trays etc. The welcome gift was usually delivered by room service within 30 minutes of check in. But that was pre-bonvOY.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT; UA 1k
I'm at the New York Marriott Marquis and it was a manager that actually told me and when I pressed he even went to the back to "validate" with someone else.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by m0mo
I'm at the New York Marriott Marquis and it was a manager that actually told me and when I pressed he even went to the back to "validate" with someone else.
Obviously they can say whatever they want, and go behind the curtain and "validate" it with whoever is supposedly behind the curtain. You can either accept it and call it a night, or get your $100. If what you posted is accurate, I've rarely heard of a property more deserving of paying up the guarantee.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:11 pm

What does it take to actually get the $100?

I had a place not mention a benefit at all, but right before I checked out; I asked for my benefit. They told me I had already been given the points.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
???
I understand, but I didn't get them automatically despite requesting them during check-in. Only at Marriott properties (albeit limited data points, as I generally prefer to stay with legacy SPG brands).
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by traveler202
What does it take to actually get the $100?

I had a place not mention a benefit at all, but right before I checked out; I asked for my benefit. They told me I had already been given the points.
You must call them out on it *during* check-in. They are obviously counting on people not wanting to make a scene. But seriously, go for it. It's a brand guarantee.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:35 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by wm47
For brands for which you have a choice between points and something else (F&B credit/snack item from hotel convenience store), Marriott generally defaults you to points but permits you to change that at front desk. This is a different approach than, for example, Hilton's My Way Benefits, where you can make your default election on the website or in the app.
I heard if you choose points, you can regret it and change it during your stay to breakfast at front desk, but not the other way around.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:38 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by CIT85
All the Marriott properties I stayed in had default points for amenity. I had to tell each one that I prefer breakfast or F&B credit. This gets annoying if I always ask select breakfast.
This is one area that Marriott should change and allow us to indicate preference in our profile.
I believe you can regret it and change it at front desk
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
three examples

I don't get the reluctance of FTs to name names in this thread? IMO, I get this response most of the time. Here is the most recent from a July stay at the Sheraton Saint Hyacinthe in suburban Montreal:

Regarding the amenity, we currently do not have the local gift option for our members, therefore, the welcome amenity of 1000 points is automatically added to your reservation upon check in.

I find this response very confusing. When I look at the Plat benefits, it clearly states the points are an option IF you decline the breakfast option. In Montreal, we rec'd the points plus breakfast.

On the other side of the equation, we have rec'd a standard welcome amenity for recent stays at the Moxy Vienna Airport (chocolates) and Courtyard by Marriott in Melbourne Australia (fruit plate as I recall).
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Go to the front desk, ask them again. If they refuse then while you are standing there call Call Marriott Customer Service. Have had to do this a few times. Rep will then call the hotel and conference you in while they explain to them the rules.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT; UA 1k
Tried talking to the front desk again and was denied the switch and the $100. The stance comes from the top.. I spoke to a condescending front desk manager who told me that they don't have the option (or participate in the guarantee) because of covid and she hopes I can understand. She went on to add that they were already able to provide me the welcome points, an upgraded view and 4 pm checkout (which they butchered anyways) and I should be happy about that.

She really didn't want to hear what I said and just kept cutting me off. She actually welcomed me calling the ambassador line to create a case, which is interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.