Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott as Hyatt Backup?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Jiatong
For me its Marriott with Hyatt as backup,
For me, it's Marriott>Hyatt>Hilton. I'm Lifetime Titanium, Explorist and Gold, respectively.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I have similar travel patterns to OP.

To me Hilton Diamond feels like Marriott Gold, and there is a significant jump between Gold and Platinum. Between Platinum and Titanium not so much.
If you can swing the 20 nights to get Platinum, I think it's worth it. Otherwise just choose the most convenient option between Hilton Diamond (via CC), Marriott Gold (also via CC), and independent hotels
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gudugan

To me Hilton Diamond feels like Marriott Gold, and there is a significant jump between Gold and Platinum. Between Platinum and Titanium not so much.
You get suite upgrades and $ for food/drink or free breakfast regularly as a Marriott Gold? Because I do as a Hilton Diamond.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You get suite upgrades and $ for food/drink or free breakfast regularly as a Marriott Gold? Because I do as a Hilton Diamond.
the f/b is a published benefit of Diamond but I don’t get any suite upgrades as Diamond.

late checkout is a published benefit of gold (2pm) and it isn’t a benefit of Diamond.

2pm checkout is way more valuable to me than f/b credits, but ymmv

also, for kicks, I don’t think I have ever been gold in Marriott
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
the f/b is a published benefit of Diamond but I don’t get any suite upgrades as Diamond.

late checkout is a published benefit of gold (2pm) and it isn’t a benefit of Diamond.

2pm checkout is way more valuable to me than f/b credits, but ymmv

also, for kicks, I don’t think I have ever been gold in Marriott
Fun fact, I’ve gotten suite upgrades as a HILTON Gold (as well as Diamond). I can tell you I sue F/B at hotels way, way more than late checkout (and it’s very unusual for me to want 2 or 4 pm checkout). I’m pretty sure I never got suites as an SPG Gold (I also have never been able to use or stay as a Marriott Gold, either before or after the program was Bonvoyed(tm).

So it’s hard for me to say that Hilton’s top status is equivalent to one that entitles you to not getting the view of the air conditioning vents, extra points and a 2 pm checkout. Complimentary F/B is a pretty tangible benefit. Exec lounge (if it exists) is a tangible benefit. I’d say it’s somewhere around Marriott Gold and Platinum, aided by needing next to zero commitment to the program other than carrying a US credit card that is fairly easy to make positive value, whereas you have to accept being routinely Bonvoyed(tm) if you want to be on that Marriott hamster wheel.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

If you can swing the 20 nights to get Platinum, I think it's worth it. Otherwise just choose the most convenient option between Hilton Diamond (via CC), Marriott Gold (also via CC), and independent hotels
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also Lounge access.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I'm a Globalist and Marriott is my backup. I ditched Hilton a few years ago because I just didn't see much value in their points.

In the USA I'm almost always disappointed with Marriott. At full service properties, it seems that nearly every guest is Platinum or higher, so there's not much in the way of elite recognition. Most of the limited service properties I've stayed at recently clearly haven't been maintained during the covid years, and they're really starting to deteriorate. If you stay at a Residence Inn in a suburban area, most guests will be long term residents.

So why stay with Marriott? For the most part, they're great outside of North America, and it's still easy to get outsized value from their points. Another devaluation is coming, but for right now, I'm happy to have a stash of Marriott points.
Yeah Hilton in the US is just as disappointing. I think I've had 2 suite upgrades in the US and one was because of as service failure at an Embassy Suites so just a bigger suite. The other was a 2 night stay in Orlando which surprised the crap out of me. I honestly expect Marriot to be similar in the US but the options internationally are appealing. Just found out the wife will likely be travelling a lot more and her company does Marriot a good chunk of the time so now I have a reason to tag along and build up some night credits.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm Globalist and Ambassador, but have been using Hyatt as my primary. Much better benefits and they actually seem interested in treating you well. Keep Marriott as a backup (or Hilton) due to footprint.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's always worth having a backup program - especially with Marriott's habit of going AWOL with global promos over an entire summer.

I've booked all stays with IHG since the beginning of June and up to the end of August. That's 25 nights going the way of IHG instead of Marriott. People do respond to incentives but, given the unmitigated garbage Marriott has sent to me as a targeted promo (and an email reminder I received today to make full use of it), they appear to assume I'm not the kind who needs them (wrong!)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.