Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:32 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium

Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Bahnhofstraße 1-3 Nuremberg, DE 90402

Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg [Master Thread] (18 Photos)

This hotel is been in the Marriott portfolio for a long time and I have stayed her many times over the years. I did not find a thread for it so I decided to make a review for the property. I have also stayed at the nearby Sheraton property.

Overall I recommend that this property. It is a bit worn, but has an unbeatable location. It is also generally available at a lower price point than the Sheraton.

977A0E43-C70C-403A-8494-0335DD738733.jpeg

I am a fan of public transportation. This hotel is right in the middle of it, across the street from the central train station (Hauptbahnhof) and very nearby the Königstrasse, which is the central pedestrian street.

If you are only interested in the distance to the train station, I would say this hotel is only slightly closer than the Sheraton.

If you are coming by car, valet parking is available at 40 EUR and off-site parking is available at 20 EUR.

Check In

I had done early check in from within the app fro 18:00 but then my plans changed short notice. I had informed them I would come at 13:00 instead. Shortly after I received a confirmation that it was okay and then an automated message that my room was available.

When I arrived at the hotel, they were a bit confused about me already being checked in and knowing my room assignment. Once we cleared that, they provided me with a room key, asked me which amenity I wanted as an Ambassador member - 1000 points or daily breakfast. I went for the breakfast, as I had remembered the breakfast as being quite good.

I then rode the elevator to room. I do not believe anyone offered assistance with my luggage, but I would have declined anyway, since I only had a small trolley.

F4CC55B3-3BDB-4FC8-9DE5-739B6AAF246E.jpeg97F273F5-E68C-41DC-9FBE-F39CCC26307F.jpeg

Room

B6429322-9C93-451C-AA91-F1E388AA5C8E.jpeg61DBA355-C275-43C3-9E4B-69D8D1023EF8.jpegI

The bed does not have an abundance of charging possibilities nearby, but there is a recent addition of an alarm clock with two USB-A ports and a wireless charging pad. Otherwise the bed was comfortable.

I had booked a deluxe room, which was one level above the standard room. I was upgraded in advance to a junior suite and that is the room category I was also assigned for a three-night stay during the week.

Overall the room is well appointed, but you can tell from all of the scratches and scruff marks on the wooden floor and the tiles in the bathroom that this hotel could use some renovation work. Things that particularly stand out are the stains on the area rug underneath the sofa, that really would not be expensive to refresh.

Otherwise ther hotel has that period charm of a grand hotel, is clean and comfortable.

64618AF9-3C28-4A84-82B9-0EB500765ED4.jpeg

The room is a bare minimum definition of a junior suite. There is no separation between the bedroom and the living room beyond the tv that rotates a full 180 degrees, so that it can be viewed from both the bed and the sofa. 

The living area has a desk a small sofa (without a pullout bed feature) and a table. Here you will also find a fancy Illy coffee machine.

E42E1D0A-C93E-4001-8C1D-D62A9D8F25FB.jpeg

The desk has one easily-accessible free power outlet and onother to the right of the desk which would be needed to use the kettle which is also on the desk.

The mini bar incorporated into the desk is functioning but is empty.

381845E4-E58D-443E-95CF-2D5D74C80B05.jpeg

There is plenty of closet space to hang clothing, but there is not enough depth in the cupboard to lay down a trolley. Next to the tv cupboard, where my trolley is standing, there is however a stool that is wide enough to use like a luggage rack.

54D1656B-D3A8-42C5-BB91-B0475ADD094E.jpeg

This is the view from the room directly onto the square in front of the train station and the station itself.

We are in the middle of a summer heat wave, like much of the planet. I have the feeling that this room's ariconfitioning is struggling to bring the temperature down to a comfortable level.

Bathroom

599B32FC-A07E-43E2-AF1B-698D16B3CC0F.jpeg

The bathroom has a classic look and could use some refreshing.B1295096-4F3E-4595-A4F5-6DF1B980EDC9.jpeg

The toiletries are supplied by Malin+Goetz. They are single use, but relatively large, which is good for multiple night stays.

Dining

The hotel bar is very classical and they serve some really nice cocktails. Locals will also pop in her for a drink or two. The crowd tends to be older.

0D44C340-CB3B-443F-9B84-802F857DA596.jpeg

Breakfast from 6:30-10:30 is one of the strengths of this hotel. It is served in the hotel's Brasserie, which also serves breakfast and dinner.

I remember the breakfast as having been a bit more nicely presented in the past, but it is still well done. There are multiple stations including an omelette station. There is also self-serve sparkling wine. The two negatives were the retiree Viking cruisers who seemed challenged by the buffet and were constantly getting in the way and the slowness in which the staff reset dirty tables.

EF80D666-2D7D-4A76-A373-0A4F62457DEC.jpeg2F99A0C7-3971-452A-BA42-7C9CC8F3A086.jpeg49A03116-4255-4EC7-8910-7501E8380801.jpeg3C8984F1-C274-4195-BA08-672D129DD137.jpeg

Gym

The gym is located in the basement and is open 24 hours per day. It is fairly small.

1ACA10A8-D84B-48B0-A4E6-EF7536BDAFB2.jpeg

Amenities

As is usual at Le Meridien hotels, each guest gets a free Illy coffee at the bar each day. In the room you will find a paper coupon to be excahnged for the coffee.

0503414D-D4B0-4482-BD05-C3C6DADDCE9E.jpeg

The hotel also offers complimentary shoe shining.

One strange thing that they still offer is Make a Green Choice with 500 nights per night if you decline housekeeping. You can also up for a 5 USD F&B discount. I have not seen this in a long time and had assumed the program had been abandoned a long time ago.

Service

The staff was very friendly and helpful, including the front desk and bar staff. I particularly liked how quickly they responded to in-app communication.

Would you like to write a review on the Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks very much for your review, my family is visiting early in August motivated by a visit to Playmobil FunPark. We have the Junior Suite booked so it's very helpful to see exactly what we have.

Do you happen to know if there are any laundry services nearby (I would call it "wash and fold" but not sure what the term is in German)? I found many laundromats but was hoping to find a place that does laundry by the pound - not sure if that's a common concept or not.

Since you mentioned you have stayed here many times: do you have a favorite restaurant nearby? We are flexible on cuisine, looking for something asual after the "FunPark" outing.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by cbellero
Introduction This hotel is been in the Marriott portfolio for a long time and I have stayed her many times over the years. I did not find a thread for it so I decided to make a review for the property. I have also stayed at the nearby Sheraton property.Overall I recommend that this property. It is a bit worn, but has an unbeatable location. It is also generally available at a lower price point than the Sheraton. Location I am a fan of public transportation. This hotel is right in the middle of it, across the street from the central train station (Hauptbahnhof) and very nearby the Königstrasse, which is the central pedestrian.If you are coming by car, valet parking is available at 40 EUR and off-site parking is available at 20 EUR. Check In I had done early check in from within the app fro 18:00 but then my plans changed short notice. I had informed them I would come at 13:00 instead. Shortly after I received a confirmation that it was okay and then an automated message that my room was available.When I arrived at the hotel, they were a bit confused about me already being checked in and knowing my room assignment. Once we cleared that, they provided me with a room key, asked me which amenity I wanted as an Ambassador member - 1000 points or daily breakfast. I went for the breakfast, as I had remembered the breakfast as being quite good.I then rode the elevator to room. I do not believe anyone offered assistance with my luggage, but I would have declined anyway, since I only had a small trolley. Room I had booked a deluxe room, which was one level above the standard room. I was upgraded in advance to a junior suite and that is the room category I was also assigned for a three-night stay during the week.Overall the room is well appointed, but you can tell from all of the scratches and scruff marks on the wooden floor and the tiles in the bathroom that this hotel could use some renovation work. Things that particularly stand out are the stains on the area rug underneath the sofa, that really would not be expensive to refresh.Otherwise ther hotel has that period charm of a grand hotel, is impeccably clean and comfortable. Dining The hotel bar is very classical and they serve some really nice cocktails. Locals will also pop in her for a drink or two. The crowd tends to be older.Breakfast is one of the strengths of this hotel. It is served in the hotel's Brasserie, which also serves breakfast and dinner. Amenities As is usual at Le Meridien hotels, each guest gets a free Illy coffee at the bar each day. In the room you will find a paper coupon to be excahnged for the coffee.The hotel also offers complimentary shoe shining. Gym The gym is located in the basement and is open 24 hours per day.
Thanks for the helpful review. I'd been undecided between this and the Sheraton for a stopover in Nuremberg this winter, needing proximity to the HBF.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:39 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Thanks for the helpful review. I'd been undecided between this and the Sheraton for a stopover in Nuremberg this winter, needing proximity to the HBF.
If you are only interested in the distance to the HBF then I would not say this hotel differs much from the Sheraton‘s distance (blue line). The Le Meridien is slightly closer (red line), but noticeably better positioned for the pedestrian area. (highlighted in yellow).

Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:15 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by River in Sight
Thanks very much for your review, my family is visiting early in August motivated by a visit to Playmobil FunPark. We have the Junior Suite booked so it's very helpful to see exactly what we have.

Do you happen to know if there are any laundry services nearby (I would call it "wash and fold" but not sure what the term is in German)? I found many laundromats but was hoping to find a place that does laundry by the pound - not sure if that's a common concept or not.

Since you mentioned you have stayed here many times: do you have a favorite restaurant nearby? We are flexible on cuisine, looking for something asual after the "FunPark" outing.
If you are planning on having kids with you in the junior suite, you will not have any privacy if that is wished. There is no separation.

In German you would normally find this under „Wäscheservice“. I did a quick google search and could not find anything - it is not that common of a service. I asked the concierge if they are aware of any companies. They suggested you write to them closer to your stay with the estimated amount of laundry in kg‘s and they would get some quotes for you. You should also mention if you just want wash, dry and fold or also ironing. Their address is [email protected]

About places to eat, I am probably not the best person to ask. Firstly when I am here I tend to go eat in neighboring small towns with clients and colleagues. So I do not have much experience. Plus a lot of it is Franconian/German food about which I cannot get very excited since I have it around me all the time in Munich. There is a decent Indian restaurant called Sangam near the hotel that has really attractive lunch specials. I also like to go to Co Co Indochine which is a Vietnamese/Japanese restaurant. And here I am a creature of habit. If I find places that I like, I tend to repeat.

Last edited by cbellero; Jul 24, 2022 at 4:14 am
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by cbellero
If you are planning on having kids with you in the junior suite, you will not have any privacy if that is wished. There is no separation.
Thanks so much for the additional information! Yes, based on your pics I saw there was no privacy but that’s OK - we only have one child and only staying two nights, just wanted a bit more room. Will report back after our stay for sure.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:14 am

I just completed a two-night stay here with my family. I booked a Junior Suite and later used SNAs to upgrade to an executive suite.

The room and furnishings are clearly older but everything was very well kept. The room was excellent with family because it was really two completely separate bedrooms (one with a king, one with a fold-out nicely made up in advance) separated by a foyer which attached to the bathroom. Our view was of the courtyard.

The room was quiet and we slept well. cbellero provided a great review above and I don’t have much to add. The breakfast was good, and I agree it can be a bit overrun with the Viking crowd but it worked fine for us. A 4PM checkout was granted without hesitation. Our train to Munich was at 321, we left at 310 and had plenty of time.

The purpose of our outing was to take our 7 year old to PlayMobil FunPark which was a blast and I’d highly recommend it to visitors with children in the 4-10 age range. Beyond that, we also found Nuremberg charming and worth a night or two.

Secondary bedroom (fold-out couch; felt comfortable)

Primary bedroom

Bathroom

View to interior courtyard
EHAM1 likes this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Aug 5, 2022 at 8:26 am
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:19 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Some photos of one of the renovated smaller rooms

The shower has really good water pressure

Typical Le Meridien toiletries brand

I am not sure if they are planning on moving away from single use toiletries or if they have changed their minds...

Sorry, I took the pictures after I slept
EHAM1 and River in Sight like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:37 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

A small update from my current stay:
  • Hotel was actually fully booked on my day of arrival
  • This hotel is really good about communicating via app. Responses come in 1-2 minutes
  • They confirmed participation in the Make a Green Choice program - 500 points each night for declining housekeeping.
  • There are always a lot of Viking cruisers here - many Americans at the bar.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:50 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I took a photo of this card to prove that the hotel still participates in the no longer existent global program. I have to fight for these points each time I stay.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Any recent stays here? Sizing up this versus the Sheraton as a gold.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:55 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Some additional shots of an executive suite I recently got as an upgrade. A rather long series of rooms.

Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Should we start a thread with hotels that have Lego miniature versions?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I was at the property checking in Dec 19 and out on Dec 21. This is a busy time in the city of Nuremberg largely because of the justly famous Christmas Market.

I arrived at the hotel around noon or so; check in process was smooth and the room was immediately available. I booked a Deluxe room and I received a Deluxe room. No upgrade was offered (I'm Lifetime Platinum) but like I said, it's a busy time of year in the city.

Wow, was my room ever small! (Felt like it was around 18 to 20 sqm) But I was travelling solo, so nothing to really complain about. I'll post a few pics later but the room had just enough space for a King bed, a small desk, and really small bathroom. In the end, I setup the ironing board just so I could have somewhere to put stuff. The whole property was fastidiously clean and though there was but 1 elevator, I never had to wait for it that long. (I typically walked down but was lazy and took the elevator up to my 4th-floor room.)

As noted up thread, the property is ideally located for easy access to public transit, and it's a pleasant walk into town to get to the Christmas Markets, the Rathaus, etc.

I enjoyed my stay here and will be back, but hopefully with an upgrade to a slightly larger room.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
We mustve had a similar room type! but i was there the weekend prior and did not expect an upgrade with the markets in full swing so it was not a big deal.

However it was without question the worst of my 138 nights in bonvoy properties last year!Friend on exact same rate and checking in at same time received higher floor with great view which is key because there is no a/c in the winter (he is gold, I am ambassador). So even with the radiators turned off, the room was boiling and the only suggestion the hotel had was to sleep with the window open, but on a lower floor overlooking the trolleys and traffic it made a nights sleep impossible. It was all made better by the lack of hot water for the shower which was lukewarm at best. Finally while my late check out was granted, the key cards were not done correctly and had to return to the desk twice and then call security to let me in my room to retrieve my luggage which in total took approx 30mins due to the incredibly slow and singular lift. The facilities and incompetence of everyone I interacted with made it overall a terrible experience. I could never with good conscience suggest anyone stay here unless you prefer to pay good money for a hotel that cannot offer a hot shower or a quiet and comfortable night of sleep. The Sheraton is near by and will stay there next time!

As it is a period property, I found it dark, dingy and lacking any sort of old world elegance or charm. Dismal is how I'd describe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.