Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott properties listed on AirBnB? (BRG Success Story)

Old Jun 27, 22, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat

So I was just booking a trip to NYC for later this summer. Since I'll be staying for a week and I have already hit 75 nights at Marriott, I figured I'd check AirBnB as well. As I was looking around on AirBnB, I noticed a picture that seemed familiar, and as it turns out it was the same Marriott hotel room listed on AirBnB for $100 cheaper/night. It's not like they were discrete about it either, the description of the AirBnB listing clearly spelled out the hotel name and made it clear that you are actually booking/checking in at the hotel.

I wasn't feeling particularly hopeful but I figured I would give BRG a shot. There was some minor hiccup – the agent disagree on the room type of the listing and asked for my permission to "downgrade" to the base level room, which was nbd – but they actually approved it and knocked $1000 off the rack rate (over a week-long stay in the middle of summer in NYC). Obviously not complaining about this particular instance which worked out in my favor, but what is up with the hotel (?) listing their rooms on AirBnB? Is this legit/legal? (As in – is Marriott really okay with the hotels doing this?) Is this a new trend? When Marriott said they would take on AirBnB, I didn't realize the meant it that literally

Anyway, is this something I need to keep in mind going forward? The cool BRG story aside, I find this practice to be quite sketchy and worrisome in the long run. The property could easily have manipulated with this and omit enough details to make the AirBnB listing not BRG-eligible. Or they could artificially create room types that are "exclusive" to AirBnB. Or the BRG agent could have refused to recognize it was the same property at all. If this is allowed and becomes common practice, that would moot the whole point of the BRG program.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 5:25 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
This has been reported before and I've seen it on occasion as well. I guess they think they are reaching a different demographic.
Marriott Hotel Listed on Airbnb
Old Jun 27, 22, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
This has been reported before and I've seen it on occasion as well. I guess they think they are reaching a different demographic.
Marriott Hotel Listed on Airbnb
In that case, the AirBnB listing appears to cost more, which I don't really have a problem with. What I am concerned about is properties undercutting the official rate (as in my case) and pulling shenanigans to make these postings non-BRG eligible. Fortunately, that second part didn't happen to me and so it worked out in my favor, but as far as I can tell there isn't really anything preventing it? If anything, I think my successfully BRG claim is largely attributable to a stroke of luck.

Search this Thread