Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Problem reducing award booking and getting point refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver

I have an award stay I booked before the Marriott price increases at Le Meridian Maldives. I books 6 nights but not want to reduce to 5 nights by removing the last night of the stay to line up with the fight I found.

When I called Marriott elite line they said with the program changes the system automatically re-prices the whole stay for any changes. In my case I would actually be paying 50k more points to reduce my stay by the 1 night! I tried escalating but was told it was a system limitation and it could not be overrides by anyone.

I am considering finding a VIOP service so I can call the resort's international phone number directly to see I they are willing allow me to check out early. Or just wait and ask when I checkin to the property. I have never had a problem checking out of a hotel early in the past but they were cash booking so don't know if it will work with points. Any help would be greatly appreciated Flyertalk community!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Just leave on day 5 and do online/phone app check-out at day 6?

If that doesn't work, leave on day 5, and call the hotel on day 6 saying you forgot to check out.
trooper and Catskilltraveller like this.

Last edited by frankvb; Jun 24, 2022 at 4:46 pm Reason: Additional idea
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Removing the night requires repricing at the current point prices, that is what is causing your points to increase. There is no solution other than accept it and check out on day 6
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by frankvb
Just leave on day 5 and do online/phone app check-out at day 6?

If that doesn't work, leave on day 5, and call the hotel on day 6 saying you forgot to check out.
Well in the middle of the ocean, when one free room value is gold, you need a seaplane to leave the place (managed by the hotel), this is not very realistic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Well in the middle of the ocean, when one free room value is gold, you need a seaplane to leave the place (managed by the hotel), this is not very realistic.
Correct because the hotel arranges the plane based on check in check out date.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any chance to work the 6th night into an early check-in (ie, pre 9am or so) or late check-out (ie, after 4pm)?

On the late check out front, would a flight departing early evening certainly after 4pm be attractive where you have your room the whole day?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
You can tell the front desk on day 4 that your return flight has been canceled and you need to take a flight tomorrow. I'm sure happening a lot these days!
flyguy6 and frankvb like this.

Last edited by ovacikar; Jun 25, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ovacikar
You can tell the front desk on day 4 that your return flight has been canceled and you need to take a flight tomorrow. I'm sure happening a lot these days!
It’s possible. But you provide your actual flight information. Easily verified if they choose to particularly if they want to see if other guests would be on this “canceled” flight and need to change plans. The whole process is very connected.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cre95
Any chance to work the 6th night into an early check-in (ie, pre 9am or so) or late check-out (ie, after 4pm)?

On the late check out front, would a flight departing early evening certainly after 4pm be attractive where you have your room the whole day?
Thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts. I think I will take my chances when I get there to explain that I had a fight change and I need to check out early. Worst case is I have to way for the room the extra night and not get the refund. Sucks but better than have to reprice the stay and pay even more.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Depending on which part of the world, things are so different.

Last fall, when I took a few short trips within south, and then northwestern Ontario, the hotels were sold out. This year many places in Canada and US are booking up fast, as many people want to travel.

Taiwan used to have 14 day quarantine requirement, but now reduced to 7 days (3 quarantine, and 4 staying in the same place but can go out just not in crowd).

Many places are opening up more and more. With dynamic point redemption, I'm seeing places I booked in the fall are going up in point requirements each time I check.

Marriott will probably not give country specific status extensions, but give promos for people to stay in hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.