Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Club Level Cert inventory limits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United

Hi all,

Did a quick search and nothing popped up on this topic, but is anyone aware of if the Z34/Z38 rate code is separate inventory for what is generally available? I'm trying to apply an RC club upgrade cert on a Z34 booking I made, and I've been told by the phone agent that they can't apply the cert because there aren't any rooms available that can be upgraded into.

This is despite the fact that club level rooms are being sold for the dates I've booked.

First time running into this for me, wondering if anyone else has run into this?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by falcon9xr
Hi all,

Did a quick search and nothing popped up on this topic, but is anyone aware of if the Z34/Z38 rate code is separate inventory for what is generally available? I'm trying to apply an RC club upgrade cert on a Z34 booking I made, and I've been told by the phone agent that they can't apply the cert because there aren't any rooms available that can be upgraded into.

This is despite the fact that club level rooms are being sold for the dates I've booked.

First time running into this for me, wondering if anyone else has run into this?
In my experience the short answer is yes, some properties limit the availability of Club Upgrade inventory (Z38) and will not allow you to use certs even when they are still selling Club level rooms. From what I understand Z34 is for the $100 night/credit, while Z38 is for the Club Upgrade, so technically for upgrade space to be available you have to find availability with the Z38 code. In my experience when Z34 is available, Z38 is also usually, but not always, available. That said, I have used upgrade certs before when only Z34 was available as some properties seem to not use the Z38 inventory designation at all.

If Z38 is available you should be able to book the cert, no questions asked. The only time I couldn't do this was with the Ritz Tokyo. I had reservations call them and they put me on a wait list which ultimately cleared 3-4 days before arrival. I suggest calling the on-site reservation staff at the property directly as they will you their exact policy and can add you to their wait list if they keep one.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Ah ok, I did not think to call the property to be added to a waitlist. I'll try that. Thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Hmm, which property was it? I've had some issues trying to get them applied in Orlando.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:54 pm

Which property is this?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:46 am
Original Poster

This was the RC Tyson's Corner in VA. Haven't had a chance to call the property yet.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:48 am

I noticed the same thing at RC Reynolds, Lake Oconee. Club rooms are available but I can't find any dates where Z34 works. Are they able to opt-out of taking the certificates?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bigdave10000
I noticed the same thing at RC Reynolds, Lake Oconee. Club rooms are available but I can't find any dates where Z34 works. Are they able to opt-out of taking the certificates?
Did you try calling the Ritz-Carlton reservations line? I rarely see the Z34 code available online for the Ritz Orlando but still call and find availability.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:36 am

Yes, I did call and was told there was no availability. for the upgrade certificate.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Called into the property, and asked if they had any availability for the Z38 rate code. On-property rep did not know what I was talking about and passed me to reservations, who then passed me to another reservation group after I explained what I was trying to do.

Was told by the rep in this group that they could book me a room and attach my cert. Great! I booked and did the whole rigamarole. While they were on the line I saw the reservation pop up in my account, and the certificate be pulled from my account as well.

The strange bit is that the room did not show the certificate was attached or that I was otherwise upgraded. This is very different from what I've experienced in the past when applying certs. The room immediately updates to indicate a club level room. The rep assured me that it was attached and said that if I called the hotel front desk, that they would see it. Well I'm not looking to have any surprises upon check-in, so I called the front desk and not surprisingly, they could not see the certificate attached. The front desk rep passed me along again to the reservations team. This team said that the certificate was not applied, but was used, so it was in some sort of limbo.

After a bit of hold time, they came back to me and said that no club rooms are available. I then asked to cancel the reservation, and to have the certificate reinstated to my account. The room has been cancelled, but the certificate has not yet made its way back to my account. I was told that the cert will be back in my account by end of day today, so I plan on providing an update here tomorrow.

Not the outcome I was looking for, but maybe this'll help someone else in a similar situation.
svo242 likes this.

Last edited by falcon9xr; Jun 15, 2022 at 7:43 am Reason: typos and grammar
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:26 pm

Ugh, frustrating. I'm dealing with the opposite issue at the Ritz Orlando, where they were able to book a club-level room, and it shows as such in my reservation, but the certificate did not attach. Instead, the reservation states that points will be deducted 15 days prior to say? The rep was not sure what to do and emailed the property who was supposed to reach out to me, but I haven't heard anything. Last time I booked there using a club-level upgrade, the reservation went from 4 nights to 1 night two weeks before our stay, and I had to chase people down to get it fixed - always an issue!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Checked this morning and the cert has not been returned to my account. Going to call in again about getting it reinstated. Ugh.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Called again and the rep said that they did some cancellations. They said it should show up in 24 hours, so I guess we'll see about it again tomorrow.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Checked today, and the certificate still was not there. Called in again and told the rep that I was told I'd be returned the cancelled cert within 24 hours. Rep was super helpful, put me on a brief hold, and when they returned, they said the cert should be back in my account. Cert is back in my account now.
SPN Lifer and svo242 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Yikes, what a hassel. Hope you get your cert back soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.