Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

More crazyness trying to book award cert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bear Backers

So In my account are two 25k certs and one 35k cert.All expire the end of this month. I tried to book a hotel for June 23, one night. The hotel requires 35k. Marriott wants to take my 25 k cert and use 10,000 of my points. when I call I am told since the 25k cert is older thesystem will not allow me to use the 35k. But they are processing an exception and will get back to me. In the mean time the only way they could book it was to use the 25 cert and take 10,000 points. This makes no sense. I am prety miuch done with Marriott after this gets resolved.all they want is my money. They dont want me to use the 35 k cert.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oskidunker
So In my account are two 25k certs and one 35k cert.All expire the end of this month. I tried to book a hotel for June 23, one night. The hotel requires 35k. Marriott wants to take my 25 k cert and use 10,000 of my points. when I call I am told since the 25k cert is older thesystem will not allow me to use the 35k. But they are processing an exception and will get back to me. In the mean time the only way they could book it was to use the 25 cert and take 10,000 points. This makes no sense. I am prety miuch done with Marriott after this gets resolved.all they want is my money. They dont want me to use the 35 k cert.
You can try a workaround by yourself - find a random hotel under 25K with a cancellable reward, make the dummy booking that would take your 25K cert.. Repeat that to get rid of your next 25K if it still is the cert the system wants to use. Then book the 35K one you actually want. Once 35K is booked, cancel the dummy 25K bookings.

This would be much much easier than you call Marriott trying to use the 35K cert.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You can try a workaround by yourself - find a random hotel under 25K with a cancellable reward, make the dummy booking that would take your 25K cert.. Repeat that to get rid of your next 25K if it still is the cert the system wants to use. Then book the 35K one you actually want. Once 35K is booked, cancel the dummy 25K bookings.

This would be much much easier than you call Marriott trying to use the 35K cert.
OP I hope you use this workaround that Happy generously posted and let them know what they can do with their special “exception” nonsense
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by oskidunker
It's only as crazy as you make it. As mentioned above, easy way to work around this limitation.

Ron.
Happy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bear Backers
Thank you

great idea!
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP

The customer service representatives can't do a workaround (I wanted to use two 25k certs on a two-night stay, but there was a 40k cert in between them). They are subject to the same first-in, first-out rule that we experience online.

So I did a dummy booking to get rid of the 40k cert, then made my two-night 25k cert reservation, then cancelled the 40k dummy reservation. Worked like a charm.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
You can try a workaround by yourself - find a random hotel under 25K with a cancellable reward, make the dummy booking that would take your 25K cert.. Repeat that to get rid of your next 25K if it still is the cert the system wants to use. Then book the 35K one you actually want. Once 35K is booked, cancel the dummy 25K bookings. This would be much much easier than you call Marriott trying to use the 35K cert.
Originally Posted by dgreen12
The customer service representatives can't do a workaround (I wanted to use two 25k certs on a two-night stay, but there was a 40k cert in between them). They are subject to the same first-in, first-out rule that we experience online.

So I did a dummy booking to get rid of the 40k cert, then made my two-night 25k cert reservation, then cancelled the 40k dummy reservation. Worked like a charm. (Emphasis added.)
The ingenuity of FlyerTalkers. Thanks for sharing.

Beaucoup Bonvy!
Happy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.