Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Flex Your Free Night Awards ("Award Night Top Offs") discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flex Your Free Night Awards ("Award Night Top Offs") discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 3:23 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Centurion
Lurker, I have started another thread where I believe your Marriott properties are going out of their way to avoid redemption of these credit card annual free night "coupons" . Besides giving me the dynamic pricing excuse we now have someone who posted that a Marriott property just increased the price so your "top off" option will be out of redemption range even with a boost . Is corporate aware of this issue? If so what is Marriott doing if anything?
Hello there,

Please email us more information at [email protected] so that we can look into this.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Credit where credit is due.

Things worked our beautifully for an upcoming trip to Peru.

I had a 7-nt travel package redeemed at Tambo del Inka but got them refunded for 420K points. Now it gave me flexibility to break up the nights between Tambo and Cusco JW which is much preferred. These properties were @ 50K/nt standard rate but after dynamic pricing, went down to 38K – 43K/nt.

Then I had 3 cc nt certificates worth up to 35K that I couldn’t use at one of these cat 6 properties. With the new top-off option, I redeemed the certificates for 3 nights with just 10K/nt supplement. So I ended up using a lot less points with much better itinerary.

I am not looking forward to what might happen in 2023 but at least for this upcoming trip, it worked out really well.
Happy likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:15 am

Lurker, I do not want to tell out a property. You can find multiple properties doing the same. Your company, Marriott, would have to have their head in the sand to not know what is happening.

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III
Hello there,

Please email us more information at [email protected] so that we can look into this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Thinking of getting mrs the Chase Visa Boundless credit card that comes with the 3 free night certs up to 50K points each. Read online that you can pay points on top of the 50K, e.g. if room is 58k points per night due to this dynamic pricing. Question, can this all be done smoothly online or is this a phone call with a long hold time to make it happen?

Also, can points still be transferred across spouses for redemption? I did this years ago but haven't kept on top of latest rules.
Works smoothly online. No clue about the second question
Old May 2, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Also, can points still be transferred across spouses for redemption? I did this years ago but haven't kept on top of latest rules.
I can confirm that just a few weeks ago I was able to have MamaTwick transfer me some points for an upcoming redemption without issue.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Duplicate post.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
There is a maximum per year of 100,000 points that can be transferred from one account to another without a fee.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Posted about this in the "Dynamic Award" Thread

I had no problem calling up to add 10K points to a 35K certificate to book one night at the Swan Reserve in WDW. My biggest fear was that, after seeing valid redemption opportunities while dynamic reward pricing was in place but top-offs were not live, the redemption rate would jump when top-offs went live, and the redemption opportunity I was planning to book was just an illusion.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I had make a booking earlier last month (before top-off program was launched), but because the property is no longer available, I can't switch/rebook from an all points booking to a booking with certificate and top-off. It is a bit unfortunate because like many, we have night rewards expiring in the next month. I am open to ideas, and I have emailed Bonvoy, but unsure if there is a solution to change the "payment" on an existing reservation.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I can confirm that just a few weeks ago I was able to have MamaTwick transfer me some points for an upcoming redemption without issue.
Does it still require “to complete a reservation”? Or it can simply a transfer points to another account? I assume it is still required to call in?
Old May 3, 2022, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Does it still require “to complete a reservation”? Or it can simply a transfer points to another account? I assume it is still required to call in?
You need to call in but it can be for any reason and up to 100k points per year.
Happy likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:05 pm

So, we need to top off when the value of a certificate is not enough, but is marriott going to give us some points back when it's the other way around?
Old May 9, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course not. Certificates have always been "up to" the given amount.

Now they are giving us additional flexibility to go "above and beyond" that limit.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
Old May 9, 2022, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Lurker, I do not want to tell out a property. You can find multiple properties doing the same. Your company, Marriott, would have to have their head in the sand to not know what is happening.
What's wrong with you?
You say you want help, the Lurker offers to help you, you respond with "I do not want to tell out a property?" And insult the Lurker.
So, you work for the individual hotel and are upset? No, that doesn't make sense. You want to use an award? Then why would you not tell the Lurker.
So, the last conclusion: you think you can change the program by writing a post on an online forum
clarkef likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:31 am

I did a top off and this week the price went down a little in my favor.

Has anyone modified a top-off reservation online to get an adjustment? I will probably call for this, since I'm afraid of losing the certificates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.