Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott property not honoring Titanium reservation guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott property not honoring Titanium reservation guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I just don't get it. I'm shocked anyone would remain loyal to Marriott let alone spend enough to be Ambassador level unless forced to by corporate policies.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Marriott does have a large footprint, which can be useful. After a while, one gets accustomed to being Bonv°yed. It also helps to keep one's expectations low.

I do agree that a prudent traveller should maintain status in at least one other major hotel chain, given that Marriott can never fully be relied upon. (See, for example, the abrupt cessation of new qualification to become lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite, effective Monday, 31 December 2018.)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Horace
In my opinion, the worst part of what rubystone wrote at the top of this thread is this:

What an incompetent, poorly informed manager!

Every manager at Marriott's 7,000+ properties across 131 countries needs to be fully aware of the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, all other Marriott Bonvoy Elite Benefit Guarantees, and what compensation is due when a property fails to provide a guaranteed benefit to an Elite guest. The purpose of compensation is to be painful for hotels, thereby ensuring that published benefits are properly delivered.

Every front desk employee -- even the newest hire -- should be aware of the guarantees and compensation. It's an integral part of the job.
I think you're making a mistake here taking them at face value. It seems much more likely to me that they are completely aware of the guarantee and they simply know they can get away with violating it.

Occasionally they'll have a guest like OP that will continue escalating but most will just give up. They come out ahead.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
As the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is a published benefit with defined cash compensation and you can prove same by screenshotting the terms and conditions, this would be the easiest small claims court action ever.

Suing these bozos in SCC would be easier than all the stress and drama OP has already endured.
volabam and Radiation Station like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Quick update. Four days since email and the property manager hasn’t responded. No points posted nor the statement credit.

Followed up with property and ambassador again. Frustrating that they don’t want to honor an advertised policy. Almost like a bait and switch.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by rubystone
Almost like a bait and switch.
At least with a bait and switch you get something. This is just a standard bonvOYing.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by rubystone
Quick update. Four days since email and the property manager hasn’t responded. No points posted nor the statement credit.

Followed up with property and ambassador again. Frustrating that they don’t want to honor an advertised policy. Almost like a bait and switch.
Thanks for keeping us advised. I will check here for any updates. Good luck.
Hotel and Marriott response outrageous.
Don't understand why Bonvoy Lurkers haven't responded.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Don't understand why Bonvoy Lurkers haven't responded.
LoL
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a pretty basic fact that hotels overbook. So do airlines. Not unique to Marriott by a long shot. The point is that Marriott promises elites that they'll get extra compensation if they are bumped. Which should be a disincentive to hotels to bump them, except that Marriott doesn't enforce its own rules.
Does anyone know why Ambassador or Corporate customer service doesn’t just add the points to the members account and charge it to the property?
KRSW and hi55us like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Does anyone know why Ambassador or Corporate customer service doesn’t just add the points to the members account and charge it to the property?
In bonvOYland, the tail wags the dog.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
In bonvOYland, the tail wags the dog.
Well hopefully if enough of us give more stays to the competition Marriott will have a program revamp by 2025. My recommendations to Marriott are keep Ambassador status but increase bonus to 100% and stop pretending there is some special customer service attached to this elite level. Give milestone bonus every 10 nights from 20 to 100 nights like Hyatt and IHG is planning. It’s a lot more fun receiving a bonus every 10 nights rather than at 50 and 75. Finally change the program name to maybe Marriott Rewards or going further back to Marriott Honor Guest and deliver better general customer service like the old days.
Tanic and Radiation Station like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:11 pm

With the horrible stories that we’ve been reading on this forum over the last several months/years regarding the flaunting of the rules by properties and Marriott’s inaction, including this saga, and the upcoming massive devaluation that’s coming in 2023, elite members should carefully re-examine their relationship with this terrible organization that treats its most loyal customers like crap.

PS can we please stop posting about what the Lurkers can do? It’s a total joke.
Mister Nice, UA-NYC and volabam like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Each such incident is adding to the popular usage of "Bonv°yed" in the extraordinarily pejorative sense, somewhat like how Xerox and Google have become popular (not negative) verbs.

The more people who use "Bonvoyed" in their everyday speech, the more institutional pressure Marriott will face to change its anti-consumer practices.

As the Marriott footprint expands, the more weight this [mis-] usage carries.

Raise awareness of getting Bonv°yed. Use the past tense and past participle verbs! It's one of the few, and more effective, tools we have left.
Tanic, KRSW, volabam and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Each such incident is adding to the popular usage of "Bonv°yed" in the extraordinarily pejorative sense, somewhat like how Xerox and Google have become popular (not negative) verbs.

The more people who use "Bonvoyed" in their everyday speech, the more institutional pressure Marriott will face to change its anti-consumer practices.

As the Marriott footprint expands, the more weight this [mis-] usage carries.

Raise awareness of getting Bonv°yed. Use the past tense and past participle verbs! It's one of the few, and more effective, tools we have left.
The term always reminds me of Anne Robinson from The Weakest Link: "You’ve been bonvoyed, goodbye!"

Here’s the clip:
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
The term always reminds me of Anne Robinson from The Weakest Link: "You’ve been bonvoyed, goodbye!"
Front Desks could adopt that as a Marriott check out send-off.
SPN Lifer and oxfordjames like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.