Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott property not honoring Titanium reservation guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott property not honoring Titanium reservation guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:15 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Escalate to the BBB , i get these type of issues fixed when I do.
SPN Lifer, KRSW and qlaval like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The hotel can make money by selling the OP's room for more than his rate and more than what they need to pay to the other Courtyard (presumably is a less desirable location, at least to the OP) for his first night's stay.
Especially if they play the numbers with several guests. They may have stats that tell them that "about half of confirmed/guaranteed reservations that don't check in by 9pm and don't call will be no-shows." If that were the case, then they could no-show half of such guests at 9pm, and shuffle the remaining rooms around as half of them show up, and usually it would work out: they'd get to double-sell many of the rooms, both to the no-show guest with a guaranteed reservation and to the new guests that book at the last minute. Occasionally their estimate will be off and they'll have to walk someone like in the OP's situation.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:11 am

Just to be clear most audits are not run until after 3am local time and we can still check in a No Show after that if we really want to. (I'm a night auditor at a Fairfield Inn.)

The policy described above is clearly laid out during all of our training as well. I hope this does get resolved because that should NEVER happen to anyone.

Originally Posted by freed0m
It could be that you were "no-show" checking in after night audit.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Mark Grass
Just to be clear most audits are not run until after 3am local time and we can still check in a No Show after that if we really want to. (I'm a night auditor at a Fairfield Inn.)

The policy described above is clearly laid out during all of our training as well. I hope this does get resolved because that should NEVER happen to anyone.
Given the number of complaints here regarding "no-show" after midnight or whatever the claims were, there is obvious problem in terms of training.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
In my opinion, the worst part of what rubystone wrote at the top of this thread is this:
Originally Posted by rubystone
I showed them the website (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi) . The manager said he didn't know such policy exists and if it exists it is at discretion of property managers.
What an incompetent, poorly informed manager!

Every manager at Marriott's 7,000+ properties across 131 countries needs to be fully aware of the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, all other Marriott Bonvoy Elite Benefit Guarantees, and what compensation is due when a property fails to provide a guaranteed benefit to an Elite guest. The purpose of compensation is to be painful for hotels, thereby ensuring that published benefits are properly delivered.

Every front desk employee -- even the newest hire -- should be aware of the guarantees and compensation. It's an integral part of the job.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, rylan and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Horace
In my opinion, the worst part of what rubystone wrote at the top of this thread is this:

What an incompetent, poorly informed manager!

Every manager at Marriott's 7,000+ properties across 131 countries needs to be fully aware of the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, all other Marriott Bonvoy Elite Benefit Guarantees, and what compensation is due when a property fails to provide a guaranteed benefit to an Elite guest. The purpose of compensation is to be painful for hotels, thereby ensuring that published benefits are properly delivered.

Every front desk employee -- even the newest hire -- should be aware of the guarantees and compensation. It's an integral part of the job.
It really doesn't really matter if the property is aware of this rule or not if MR corporate doesn't really gives a rat's ... about their elite guests.

All this elite guarantee is just to make you feel good about yourself that you're so "special" but the truth is they're just indifferent.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by supatight80
All this elite guarantee is just to make you feel good about yourself that you're so "special" but the truth is they're just indifferent.
The purpose of the guarantee is to entice travelers to book with Marriott by assuring them they will have a room when they arrive. This is particularly important to frequent business travelers. It has nothing to do with feeling "special."

But what the guaranty has now become is Marriott defrauding its customers by promising benefits and then knowingly allowing its properties to refuse to provide them.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Kacee
The purpose of the guarantee is to entice travelers to book with Marriott by assuring them they will have a room when they arrive. This is particularly important to frequent business travelers. It has nothing to do with feeling "special."
Well there lies the problem then. What kind of business would have a "guarantee" to a room that one has already paid/made a reservation for? That's totally wacked.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:55 am

Youre right. The training system is entirely done via computer videos with tests/quizzes at the end of each. You can retake the quizzes if you fail until you pass and the questions only have minor variations so its easy to pass quickly even if you don't really pay attention. This is also the only time policies are explained to you, in my experience, so its easy to forget certain aspects.

The no show after midnight problem is either some weird franchise policy or, far more likely, a lazy auditor who is making up crap so they dont have to do more work. An absurd thing given that the audit shift is normally the easiest shift to work.

Originally Posted by freed0m
Given the number of complaints here regarding "no-show" after midnight or whatever the claims were, there is obvious problem in terms of training.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well there lies the problem then. What kind of business would have a "guarantee" to a room that one has already paid/made a reservation for? That's totally wacked.
It's a pretty basic fact that hotels overbook. So do airlines. Not unique to Marriott by a long shot. The point is that Marriott promises elites that they'll get extra compensation if they are bumped. Which should be a disincentive to hotels to bump them, except that Marriott doesn't enforce its own rules.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The point is that Marriott promises elites that they'll get extra compensation if they are bumped. Which should be a disincentive to hotels to bump them, except that Marriott doesn't enforce its own rules.
Well then I guess you're in agreement with my earlier post.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Whenever I get into a guarantee discussion, this is my go to.

xy31 and Zorak like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:37 am

Well then I guess you're in agreement with my earlier post.
Whatever makes you feel special!
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Quick update. Finally got a reply that they are working on getting the points after threating with legal / BBB action.

Here are the avenues I tried and the responses:
  • Twitter - No reply at all. Not even acknowledgement. Just an automated message - "Thanks for getting in touch! Our Customer Care team is most responsive between the hours of 9am-11pm ET. Type your question and Marriott Rewards number below and someone will respond as soon as possible."
  • Ambassador - First reply that it is forwarded to the property as described. No reply for a few days / emails. Said in Asia so she works off hours. Finally said some one from property will get back.
  • Property Manager - As described in this thread
  • Property Manager Boss (not sure about the title) - A little bit of you came late speech. Then I threatened with legal / BBB action. He said he will discuss with his management and get back. Just wrote back that I will get the points and asking how to credit the $100.
Will see if the points will finally get posted along with the credit. Unfortunate that I had to spend so much time on something that should have been automatic or shouldn't have occurred in the first place.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks for the update. Feel free to leave bad reviews with details about this property as well on the Marriott site, tripadvisor and wherever else.
KRSW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.