Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:36 pm

Pricing should be all in and all other charges optional. The EU has strong legislation in place that prohibits not showing all-in pricing but that is unlikely to happen in the US because the "consumer" is not the person paying for the service.
clarkef, yscleo, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by erik123
Pricing should be all in and all other charges optional. The EU has strong legislation in place that prohibits not showing all-in pricing but that is unlikely to happen in the US because the "consumer" is not the person paying for the service.
In fairness, even in Europe the original quoted price is not the final out-the-door price although the difference is substantially smaller than in the US, often by only a few euro each day.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
As an FYI, housekeepers are rarely paid per room. Housekeeping pay 99% of the time is hourly. Properties that try to use pay per room usually find out the hard way it leads to issues with quality.
This is not unlike an infamous issue back in the 60s and 70s where the Penn Central railroad was rating workers doing tie replacement based on how many ties they replaced...

...and then wondering why ties under switches (which take more time to replace) weren't getting replaced to the point that it was making crossing them "exciting".
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:52 am

What (and why) is a "Destination Fee"?

Earlier this year I made reservations at the Sheraton Grand Chicago Riverwalk hotel for nights in September. Reviewing my reservations on-line at the Marriott site recently, I discovered that effective in May (after I made the reservations) they have added a "destination fee" of $20 per night plus tax.

What is this? I searched the Marriott Bonvoy site and could find no reference to any such thing. Finally, I called the Marriott customer service number, and the CSR also had never heard of such a "fee".

Further, the reservations are award reservations (one a CC free night, and the others "points paid") I had understood that "free" nights were indeed supposed to be "free" -- unless you ordered something like a crib or other "bespoke" changes to the basic room. And also supposed to be tax-free.

Can anyone give me a link to where these "destination fees" are set out or explained by Marriott? Why are they imposing this charge on award rooms, and what (if anything) does one get for this? It isn't like this hotel is a resort or anything.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:33 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
it is the "non-resort" version of a Resort Fee. In general it is a ...... way to boost revenue without showing the price in the initial search.

If you'll check the Grand Sheraton thread, we stayed there last month and actually felt we got our money's worth out of that fee (or nearly so). It includes food credits that weren't bad. It also includes a worthless gift at the gift shop.
SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:58 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yes, and this is actually a relevant point. Most company travel policies set maximums on *base* rate, and thus these add ons allow the properties to make an easy cash grab without potentially pricing themselves out of someone’s travel policy.
I don't really understand why they calculate the base rate, sure, they can get VAT more or less completed refunded if they can charge the same amount of VAT in their products with the official receipt of the expenditure, but other than that, destination fee, resort fee, tourism fee, can't be refunded or reimbursed in any way, doesn't it? The same set of companies that don't have a problem with employees flying full-price economy but have a problem with employees flying discounted premium cabin(J,F), although the latter is sometimes even cheaper, therefore, god invented premium economy, with Thai once attempted to offer fully lie-flat PE on their 77W.

Originally Posted by Xero
The US government needs to step in here to make hotel pricing all-in, just like how the US government did for airlines.

The two industries that need such a mandate are Hotels and the Cable/Phone company.
Don't forget insurance companies, there are two things that insurance policies don't cover, "this" and "that", overall, when laws aren't imposed, agreements signed tended to be extremely one-sided, such as the Marriott Bonvoy T&C, yet many hotels still attempt to violate the T&C without providing the necessary reimbursement.

Originally Posted by cyclefanatic83
Leave a pre-printed (if possible) note for any service staff (bartender, wait staff, housekeeping) that says

“Until Marriott stops imposing junk fees I won’t leave a gratuity”

does it hurt the little person? Sure. But it’s a job seekers market. If they quit b/c of this they’ll be able to find another job. But the property will quickly have staffing issues. That should ripple back to Marriott HQ quickly
In the same way, I decided not to give tips during my trip to Thailand eating in hotel-owned restaurants, your hotel already charges service charges for food, and expect me to pay additional tips as an expression to thank you for your service? Well, unless you did something phenomenal, I won't be paying a cent of additional tips.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If you want a truly free experience on an award stay, Marriott is not the chain for you
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If you want a truly free experience on an award stay, Marriott is not the chain for you
Well, it used to be. And for many locations it still is. I've had award stays in great properties, upgraded room, and free breakfast and had to pay not a penny. Happened as recently as this month at the Westin Grand in Munich. And late last year at the Warsaw Marriott.
SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
No, that would be Hyatt you're thinking of...
UA-NYC and runner80 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Even Hilton on award stays I believe...
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Even Hilton on award stays I believe...
That is true.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Wanted to add another property to this nonsense Destination Access Fee. SpringHill Suites Oceanside is now applying this fee including points bookings.

Now, I have stayed at this property when it first opened (as well as almost every free breakfast property in San Diego in the Marriott chain using certs over the years), and it has a great design with a rooftop pool. However, it is not a premium property and self parking is shared with the beach goers.

I also believe there should be all-in pricing in the room rate, but I suspect the lobbying will not make this happen.

It would take enough guests not booking these properties to maybe stop it, but many people book these regardless.

I agree that Vegas is the worst for this, but at least there is enough pressure and competition on room prices to make total cost deals possible even in prime locations.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Counsellor
...I discovered that effective in May (after I made the reservations) they have added a "destination fee" of $20 per night plus tax.
...Finally, I called the Marriott customer service number, and the CSR also had never heard of such a "fee".
CSR must have just started his/her Marriott job that day. This scam has been going on for a while.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
CSR must have just started his/her Marriott job that day. This scam has been going on for a while.
If it's a legitimate fee, you'd think Marriott would mention it on its site. So far as I can tell, it doesn't.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Counsellor
If it's a legitimate fee, you'd think Marriott would mention it on its site. So far as I can tell, it doesn't.
Looks like they put it there now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.