Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walked via email today for a stay starting wednesday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Dear Flytalk Marriott experts. I have an upcoming 3 night stay at a Marriott Marquis property 4 nights from now. They just sent me an email that they can’t accommodate me the first night and have made a reservation at a property next door for me, which they will cover. I looked at the ultimate guarantee and it appears that I am also supposed to get $200 and 90k points. Can anyone tell me if that is supposed to apply, or if it will not because there is some advanced notice. My status is only “gold”, not sure if that plays into the equation. Also my res in the app still shows the original arrival date. Thank you for the advice.

BJfly
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BJfly
Dear Flytalk Marriott experts. I have an upcoming 3 night stay at a Marriott Marquis property 4 nights from now. They just sent me an email that they can’t accommodate me the first night and have made a reservation at a property next door for me, which they will cover. I looked at the ultimate guarantee and it appears that I am also supposed to get $200 and 90k points. Can anyone tell me if that is supposed to apply, or if it will not because there is some advanced notice. My status is only “gold”, not sure if that plays into the equation. Also my res in the app still shows the original arrival date. Thank you for the advice.

BJfly
Technically it is not a walk as it is advanced notice but they are covering your room and tax the 1st night. You could invoke the ultimate guarantee and see where that goes for you but since it is next door and probably not a hassle for transportation it may not necessarily be worth it.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
The Ultimate guarantee will not work for sure. IME, that's only granted when you are walked on the day of the check-in.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The key term in the T&C is "relocated upon arrival", which means that since the property informed you ahead of time, they can wiggle out of the ultimate reservation guarantee. Nonetheless, since they are covering your first night stay, there's the silver lining.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A lot depends on what is the hotel next door that the Marriott is covering. Even if it's of the same quality, OP should get Bonvoy points and any other applicable benefits (better room? breakfast? lounge access? late check out?) to be made whole, although Golds don't get many benefits beyond earning points.
KRSW, FMDXR and nexus7556 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Name & shame...
nexus7556, KRSW and FMDXR like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I got walked at midnight check in and the hotel did not want to give me the 90k points. It took a lot of persistence and about 2 months to get them. Worth a try though!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:43 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
What happens if OP pretends he/she has never seen the email and just shows up at the sold out property on check-in date?

LAX
Tanic, CALMSP, krakendown and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
What happens if OP pretends he/she has never seen the email and just shows up at the sold out property on check-in date?

LAX
Honestly, I would recommend this, especially if the properties are actually next to each other. Not so much for the Guarantee reason, but because they might end up just giving you a room accidently or because something opened up.

If I had to guess, it's the DC Marquis, and they're being walked to the Ren or the CY.
KRSW and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
You haven’t been walked, as the stay is in the future. I don’t think the ultimate reservation guarantee applies here and it sounds like the hotel have been proactive and reasonable.
TerryK likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Update: now I have a room afterall

Well, I replied to the email and asked for the ultimate guarantee to be honored. They said they needed my bonvoy number. I sent it (weird they didn’t have it as the stay shows on my app) and then they emailed back “we will honor the original reservation”. While maybe I could have gotten a slight windfall of points and dollars, I actually am happy with this outcome as there were a few reasons that checking out and in would have been inconvenient. I just hope there isn’t some sort of punitive “put him in the basement next to the noisy elevator” room change imposed on me.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:54 am
Suspended

Well, I replied to the email and asked for the ultimate guarantee to be honored. They said they needed my bonvoy number. I sent it (weird they didn’t have it as the stay shows on my app) and then they emailed back “we will honor the original reservation”. While maybe I could have gotten a slight windfall of points and dollars, I actually am happy with this outcome as there were a few reasons that checking out and in would have been inconvenient. I just hope there isn’t some sort of punitive “put him in the basement next to the noisy elevator” room change imposed on me.
There's always that perpetually damp room with the rattling hvac system for customers like you...
krakendown, BJfly and cre95 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They probably won't even know this has happened when you check in. The "pro-active walking" team is likely different from the front desk staff. But clearly something weird is happening, so you could still get walked on arrival.

One thing is certain--this is probably due to the incompetence of "those .......s in Sales," as my boss at the Hyatt used to call them.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:30 am
Original Poster

What happened in the end

Got to the property at around 9:00 pm. Watched the guest in front of me get walked (not sure if he has d advanced notice - he didn’t seem shocked but who knows). No mention of ultimate guarantee was made to him, just a room. I checked in no problem and had a very nice room with an upgraded view and balcony. So guess I wasn’t punished.

and the property was the San Diego marquis. The next door hotel was the hyatt grand - an equally nice property but it was a a hike even though next door so glad I didn’t have to track back and forth repeatedly.

bjfly

Last edited by BJfly; Apr 10, 2022 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Got to them property at around 9:00 pm. Watched the guest in front of my get walked (not sure if he has advanced notice - he didn’t seem shocked but who knows). No mention of ultimate guarantee, just a room. I checked in no problem and had a very nice room with an upgraded view and balcony. So guess I wasn’t punished.

and the property was the San Diego marquis. The next door hotel was the hyatt grand - an equally nice property but it was a a hike even though next door so glad I didn’t have to track back and forth repeatedly.

bjfly
Glad it worked out! Guess it's not surprising that this was SD - I walked through here once while I was staying at the MGH and have never seen so many people trying to check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.