Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring back housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:58 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm the outlier who doesn't really miss housekeeping in the purest sense. Room service and lounges? Yes, bring them back, as they're useful to me for business travel. Cleaning up all the garbage that guests throw into the hallways overnight? Absolutely. But I don't actually miss someone barging into my room at a random point each day, regardless of whether I have the DND sign out, just to fluff my pillows and rearrange my toiletries because they think it is cute (gross).

To be clear - since different guests have different needs / expectations, hotels should absolutely be transparent with what they're offering. Heck, I can even picture a simple matrix / chart on each hotel's website - what is open / offered (daily housekeeping, lounges, room service, pool, etc.) with a simple tick mark or not in each box.
I agree, and I don't think we are outliers. I haven't heard anyone complain about lack of housekeeping in real life, it seems to occur mostly on the internet where people don't have to reveal who they are.

At this point, most of the major chains do not provide daily housekeeping, and haven't for over a year. So if anyone cares so much about that service, I think it's on them to verify that it is available.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Do you recognize the irony of forwarding the complaint to the same "management team" that is deliberately refusing to provide a basic service after the guest has already complained, all in the name of cost savings?

Perhaps you could address your comments to Marriott corporate management that it needs to enforce basic service standards at supposedly "full service" properties.
I'm not sure why the lurker is getting all this pushback. They aren't setting the policy, what do yall expect this person to do, exactly? They can't force the property to do anything. They're literally just a messenger.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cubeman
In Orlando Housekeeping is still a myth in anything outside the Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve. Everything is by request and they don't tell you so they get away with at-least a day or two of not refreshing rooms or no service at all unless you stay 7+ days. It's a joke and the only way to begin to solve this is if it's not mentioned in the "What to expect" when you check-in is to say cancel it/refund and go to a different hotel which is what I did.

Crazy how we went from "we have to service you room every 3 days as safety/wellness check" to "yeah go stay in the room for two weeks who cares just throw your trash out the door"
lol, I have to beg for housekeeping at SDSR as a titanium and I’m lucky if I get it. TBH, I think the issue is finding people who are willing to work in housekeeping.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
I did experience this with some Hilton properties in 2020/2021, but have not experienced this with any Hilton properties in 2022. The maddening part is that hotels in the areas I've been (primarily Florida) are charging 3x-5x more than their pre-pandemic rates. Inflation's bad, but it's not THAT bad.
yes, inflation at non-Disney hotels at Disney World (on property and Bonnet Creek) is INSANE! The stupid Bonnet Creek JW seems to be in a rate war with the WA to see who can raise their rates higher! And the JW doesn’t get any Disney benefits.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:48 am

Duplicate
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
At this point, most of the major chains do not provide daily housekeeping, and haven't for over a year. So if anyone cares so much about that service, I think it's on them to verify that it is available.
At Hiltons, Hyatts Europe and Asia we don't have this problems like you sugessted. Maybe different 'major' chains ...
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I really don’t need room service every day, in fact I leave the do not disturb sign on my door, but this does seem like a clear cost cutting move under the excuse of Covid.

The simple fact is hotels can’t pay minimum wage for what is a difficult job and expect people to work in housekeeping when other higher paying and easier (physically) jobs are available. But they don’t want to increase salaries so they just cut back on what is a basic service at a hotel (especially a full service hotel)
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by HHQX888
At Hiltons, Hyatts Europe and Asia we don't have this problems like you sugessted. Maybe different 'major' chains ...
Or maybe service standards are different in different markets. The US has always had higher labor costs, and therefore more limited services, than Asia. I'm not sure what the situation is in Europe with housekeeping, but some hotels there have cut back on other things like breakfast.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:42 pm

Or maybe service standards are different in different markets. The US has always had higher labor costs, and therefore more limited services, than Asia. I'm not sure what the situation is in Europe with housekeeping, but some hotels there have cut back on other things like breakfast.
Always we find explanation to our situation, but look at prices which you pay for Asia, EU and US this same brand rooms. US labor costs higher than EU ??? Why all asking about tipping ...
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It doesn't explain the jump from $100 a night to $250. Free breakfast is not common in Denmark, Germany, France etc. At HI Hamburg Nord, Germany, daily housekeeping was back, and if you don't want it, you get 500 IHG points or a gift per night. I also stayed at CY Hamburg - very different situation, housekeeping only every 3rd days only, no option to request extra (maybe they have changed their policy since). 2 hotels in the same city and with different policies.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:42 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
They need to bring back make a green choice if Hotels don't want to provide the service. I remember when you could get 500 SPG points for declining service... I'd skip it the whole time and just ask for extra towels if it was a long stay.

I'd take 1000 Bonvoy points a night to skip house keeping by choice rather than rolling the dice.
frankvb, friedablass, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by bigshooter
They need to bring back make a green choice if Hotels don't want to provide the service. I remember when you could get 500 SPG points for declining service... I'd skip it the whole time and just ask for extra towels if it was a long stay.

I'd take 1000 Bonvoy points a night to skip house keeping by choice rather than rolling the dice.
Yes, this is the solution. Also bring back SPG while you're at it
lilpisher and Mrskenny like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:46 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
and as I said if management at this hotel had stated that then it’s not a complaint on here. But they are just hoping we won’t notice and then trying to pretend it’s to protect me 😂
I fully understand and agree with your frustration. The issue is hotel owners are using the losses from Covid to be cheap and not provide service. At some point they'll need to step things up, but the only quick way is for Marriott to start enforcing brand standards vs spending all their time appeasing owners by increasing points redemptions.

What did the front desk say when you went down there to inquire about when house keeping will actually occur?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just stayed at a fairly high end resort in the Phoenix area - not a chain but luxury property. They made it clear my Thursday to Sunday stay would not get daily housekeeping. And no, couldn’t storm out as it was a work retreat.

Not unique to Marriott.
yyzflyer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by bigshooter

Don't be greedy I'm perfectly happy with 500 points a night. RIP SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.