Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotels asking for tips for housekeeping via QR code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels asking for tips for housekeeping via QR code

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
In 2009, I went to Hong Kong and Singapore. Stayed at IC in both city. For the 35 nights in Hong Kong, I tipped the housekeeping lady HK$1000 (around $125) on my second day. For the 3 nights in Singapore, the hotel sent a 20 year old girl to clean my room. I tipped her S$20 but I REALLY REALLY wanted to give her was a diamond ring.
That would have been a really good tip.

David
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
In 2009, I went to Hong Kong and Singapore. Stayed at IC in both city. For the 35 nights in Hong Kong, I tipped the housekeeping lady HK$1000 (around $125) on my second day. For the 3 nights in Singapore, the hotel sent a 20 year old girl to clean my room. I tipped her S$20 but I REALLY REALLY wanted to give her was a diamond ring.
​​​​​​This is repulsive.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Milesaway76
please do us a favor and stay in the UK. You seem like a bitter person.
Why specifically in the UK?

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think it's important to note these aren't "habits" per se - not calling you out specifically, but rather something baked in to the structure of workplace law in the United States. Under federal law, and under most state laws, certain workers who "customarily" receive tipped are not required to be paid the full minimum wage. A lot of people who call bartenders in lounges or housekeeping staff "greedy" on Flyertalk do not realize this, or do not realize that there is no reason for bars/lounges/hotels to pay the non-tipped full minimum wage until and unless these laws are changed.
I also consider "not paying a living wage in the service sector" a weird US habit - might be of course the wrong word to use. As you correctly point out it's baked in to your laws - and I really wish such laws would remain the "privilege" of US workers only.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Mar 18, 2022 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Why specifically in the UK?

I also consider "not paying a living wage in the service sector" a weird US habit - might be of course the wrong word to use. As you correctly point out it's baked in to your laws - and I really wish such laws would remain the "privilege" of US workers only.
Define a living wage. You can't and nor can anyone else because we all have different standards of living. Go sit down.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Define a living wage. You can't and nor can anyone else because we all have different standards of living. Go sit down.
https://livingwage.mit.edu

always glad to help the less fortunate
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
https://livingwage.mit.edu

always glad to help the less fortunate
LOL um yeah the livable wage ok. Bless your heart.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I think it's important to note these aren't "habits" per se but rather something baked in to the structure of workplace law in the United States.
Your post proves you do not understand. The entire premise of the bifurcated system, codified in law, is that customers will "make up their wage." To blame the servers is outrageous.
No, we understand - you do not. We think the entire system is awful and tacky, not the workers. The objection is to the system.
SPN Lifer, nancypants and ryw like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dw
Don’t forget it was only a few years ago that Marriott was putting tipping envelopes in rooms
It's not just past tense: I found a Bonvoy tip envelope in my suite last weekend. To name and shame the property, it was the US Grant (LC) in San Diego. No QR code.

BTW, when did housekeepers become Ambassadors? Or are they being paid so well that they can spend 100+ nights and $20,000 per year in Bonvoy hotels? If so, they don't need tips.
HHQX888 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SHLTP

This reflects everything that's bad w Marriott culture - title inflation, low wages, gauche salary raising techniques.

BTW, I don't like America's tipping culture. It's not really part of the culture... It's a system forced by corporations to get their employees paid reasonable amounts without coming out of budget and thus hurting stock prices. It disgust me
The employers that are the worst behaved in doing this kind of thing are not publicly-traded companies. Small, privately-held companies in the industry -- and their contractors -- are even worse on average with employment practices than companies with publicly traded stock.

I too dislike the employer culture that tries to make employees dependent upon customer tips for the bulk of their income. The "tipping culture" is unhealthy for society and bad for most employees who become dependent upon tips for the bulk of their take-home money.
Tanic, nancypants and northinsouth like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:28 am

Not to demean housekeepers... But they shouldn't be called Ambassadors the same as Marriott's best customers.
LOL...Lofty over the top embellished titles are definitely an American thing, much like our time honored tipping culture. I still remember when Citibank during the mid 2000s decided to call their personal bankers CFAs; I rushed out to open up a retail Citi Gold account assuming that a Chartered Financial Analyst was going to handle my deposit account. Of course, they told me it was something else, and, I suppose, no one bothered to tell them that CFAs were already a recognized financial industry designation. So, why not Ambassadors for a clean hotel?

I'll admit it. I was 100% wrong - I was cautiously optimistic about SPS-Marriott merger.
There were some reasons to be but perhaps I've become cynical enough to equate M&As with improving corporate synergies to always translate to consumers paying more and getting less. I've yet to seen an exception to this in the long term, at least not in the States.

BTW, I don't like America's tipping culture. It's not really part of the culture... It's a system forced by corporations to get their employees paid reasonable amounts without coming out of budget and thus hurting stock prices. It disgust me
It's just one of those things, I suppose. I was ok with it until they busted out the tip jars, wanted extra for making my $6 coffee and trying to gaslight me into tipping 20%+ on the total bill inclusive of tax, health care charge and alcohol. This is where they've lost me, and in these situations, I lower their tip to 10%. If they complain, I tell the owner or manager, I'm never returning.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and northinsouth like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I am always perplexed by opaque pricing practices in the US. Tip, resort fees, destination fees etc. How about the radical idea to account for all these things in the room rate ....
SPN Lifer, Tanic, kilo and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by ajamieson
No, we understand - you do not. We think the entire system is awful and tacky, not the workers. The objection is to the system.
Not the quoted, but as an American, I agree, the system is terrible, particularly when it comes to bartenders, servers, etc. That's a completely fair critique that some places are addressing, especially in the face of Covid where they could not fill positions (at least in my city).

My only rebuttal was to the commenter who suggested that because they find the system hideous, they should be exempt from it. That behavior is poor form, IMHO, as it comes at real expense of someone's wages. But the larger critique is valid.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by northinsouth; Mar 18, 2022 at 9:32 am Reason: grammar
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by northinsouth
Not the quoted, but as an American, I agree, the system is terrible, particularly when it comes to bartenders, servers, etc. That's a completely fair critique that some places are addressing, especially in the face of Covid where they could not fill positions (at least in my city).

My only rebuttal was to the commenter who suggested that because they find the system is hideous, they should be exempt from it. That behavior is poor form, IMHO, as it comes at real expense of someone's wages. But the larger critique is valid IMHO.
I completely agree. While one may find the tipping system to be odious - and there are many reasons to do so - the system is the system and failing to follow the societal norms does real damage to the working poor, many of whom are our servers, housekeepers, etc.
Tanic and Adam1222 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lizie
Yes, but what we don't understand is why do people think it's our job to make up their wage. Why do servers think it's ok even to ask guests.
Originally Posted by ajamieson
My response was to the quote I've pasted above yours here--which plainly castigates the workers, not the system. That poster continues to make anti-worker comments. Selectively quoting my response out of context doesn't really add much to the conversation.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[ W]hen did housekeepers become Ambassadors? Or are they being paid so well that they can spend 100+ nights and $20,000 per year in Bonvoy hotels?
Originally Posted by Visconti
Lofty over the top embellished titles are definitely an American thing, much like our time honored tipping culture.
If everyone is "special", no one is special.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.