Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:08 pm

I am already trying to plan my next February winter vacation.......looking at Mauritius, Vietnam etc.,.... it looks like some of the hotels have the cash rates readily posted but nothing in regards to point redemptions and/or it just says the hotel is sold out which would not be possible. I want to pull the trigger on some Aeroplan flights while they are still available but I have no idea what those rates will look like on points? Specifically Mauritius ( JW & Westin ) and also the JW Emerald in Vietnam? Just thinking out loud.........would there be any reason that they would hold out posting anything for point redemption until end of March? I honestly cannot remember when it comes to this far in advance - is this normal that it lags behind.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
You don’t know what you’ve been missing out on! And now it’s almost too late.
Ignorance is bliss I guess. While everyone else is miserable over the news, he/she is happy.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
In my experience, you will only see points availability up to 350 days in advance (so mid-February at this point), and very much dependent on the properties willingness to release availability.

In particular, you should check on Saturdays nights at midnight EST, as this is when the next block of availability 350 days out gets released.

The other confounding aspect right now is that many members are likely to be tying up rewards availability with either provisional, or points advance bookings to lock in rates prior to the March 29 and end of the 2022 devaluations.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Bravada04
I am already trying to plan my next February winter vacation.......looking at Mauritius, Vietnam etc.,.... it looks like some of the hotels have the cash rates readily posted but nothing in regards to point redemptions and/or it just says the hotel is sold out which would not be possible. I want to pull the trigger on some Aeroplan flights while they are still available but I have no idea what those rates will look like on points? Specifically Mauritius ( JW & Westin ) and also the JW Emerald in Vietnam? Just thinking out loud.........would there be any reason that they would hold out posting anything for point redemption until end of March? I honestly cannot remember when it comes to this far in advance - is this normal that it lags behind.
Bravada04 and pazza2000 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by smokie
In my experience, you will only see points availability up to 350 days in advance (so mid-February at this point), and very much dependent on the properties willingness to release availability.

In particular, you should check on Saturdays nights at midnight EST, as this is when the next block of availability 350 days out gets released.

The other confounding aspect right now is that many members are likely to be tying up rewards availability with either provisional, or points advance bookings to lock in rates prior to the March 29 and end of the 2022 devaluations.

Good luck!
Re. Points Advance, isn’t the amount of points subject to change? So the only way to secure the rate pre ‘devaluation’ is having enough points to book now?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Re. Points Advance, isn’t the amount of points subject to change? So the only way to secure the rate pre ‘devaluation’ is having enough points to book now?
Yes, Points Advance is useless.

You need to have the points now. (and hope that you aren't #bonvoyed before hotel arrival)
SPN Lifer, pazza2000 and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
I had some wishful thinking that dynamic pricing meant Marriott might also allow awards for some non-standard rooms for more points. Not suites, just standard rooms that aren't called standard because of a better view. SPG allowed this by phone. If Marriott thinks that's a giveaway, they could tie it to holding a premium card, Brilliant/Ritz or elite status.

I hope Marriott considers it someday.
It would be interesting to see if Amex overhauls its Brilliant card (or creates a new ultra-premium card), if those CMs could be able to have access to non-standard rooms booked on points. Could be an interesting card benefit. Likely not a good enough benefit for me to hold an ultra-premium Marriott card but I would like the option to book non-standard rooms for more points too!
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by jwnyc
It would be interesting to see if Amex overhauls its Brilliant card (or creates a new ultra-premium card), if those CMs could be able to have access to non-standard rooms booked on points. Could be an interesting card benefit. Likely not a good enough benefit for me to hold an ultra-premium Marriott card but I would like the option to book non-standard rooms for more points too!
Basically how UA cardholders and elites have better award availability, could work
SPN Lifer and jwnyc like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rrgg
I had some wishful thinking that dynamic pricing meant Marriott might also allow awards for some non-standard rooms for more points. Not suites, just standard rooms that aren't called standard because of a better view. SPG allowed this by phone. If Marriott thinks that's a giveaway, they could tie it to holding a premium card, Brilliant/Ritz or elite status.

I hope Marriott considers it someday.
That is currently available, but at the discretion of each property.

Here's the example at West Hollywood Edition, which is going up by 30K points:

pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:14 pm

Thanks. I’ve only ever seen that when a standard room is also available. In the old spg I could get them when standard was gone, and it wasn’t rare. Maybe I’m just unlucky.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Shafted again and again with last minute notices & changes

Many of us were waiting for Marriott to make the certificate top-up feature available in "early 2022." Marriott announced 3 days ago that this feature will not be available until after the devaluation. Hence, I have been madly trying to find uses for my free night certificates at hotels on the Big Island.

It appears that the devaluation has already arrived at some hotels, since only half the days show any award availability throughout March. The same Big Island hotels I checked show no availability in April and beyond.

Marriott making important feature and program announcements at the last minute once again hinders our ability to redeem points before devaluation. Bonvoy'd again!
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by eethan

It appears that the devaluation has already arrived at some hotels, since only half the days show any award availability throughout March. The same Big Island hotels I checked show no availability in April and beyond.
!
I see plenty of availability on the big island. Nearly every day available, and even some low season pricing.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha

Here's the example at West Hollywood Edition, which is going up by 30K points:
Which stood out as a surprise, is this place popular and seeing the respective revenue rates to justify such as increase?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Which stood out as a surprise, is this place popular and seeing the respective revenue rates to justify such as increase?
Probably due to the fact that 1) it is Beverly Hills adjacent; 2) The branding makes it somewhat exclusive; 3) It has an onsite spa, as well as a nightclub (currently closed) inside the hotel; 4) leading to standard rooms going for for $550-700/night. Although in going through reviews on TripAdvisor, it seems like the focus is on the rooftop pool and bar, Michael the masseur, and most complaints are from Marriott elites.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I see plenty of availability on the big island. Nearly every day available, and even some low season pricing.
You are right. 22/30 days available in April. Not sure why the website was showing no availability yesterday.

Hope they launch the points top-up feature in "early 2022" so I can use my certificates on a better hotel than the Courtyard!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by eethan
You are right. 22/30 days available in April. Not sure why the website was showing no availability yesterday.

Hope they launch the points top-up feature in "early 2022" so I can use my certificates on a better hotel than the Courtyard!
Is it possible you used the app to view one month at a time? That's never worked for me and usually shows nothing available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.