Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ken C
Finding a 5 day redemptions in peak season has become a challenge in many markets. Feel like I am going to waste a lot of my time searching going forward.
Agreed. The entire Hakuba ski season seems to have no availability between mid-Dec and mid-March. Previously (pre/during Covid), I could have plenty of 5-night stretches to choose from. Now not even single nights in January and February.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:21 pm

Just finished booking rooms for my summer road trip and was shocked by the points devaluation. I've been able to realize value of $0.01/point on redemptions over the past few years with the occasional find above that level. Have just booked eight stays in June and none of the point redemptions on offer were any higher than $0.005/point. I'm glad I burned a million points last year...
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Was able to book stays at valuations over 1 cent and higher for trips in June and July - just did some repricing and was able to deposit a nice 3K points into my account from subtle differences between this week and last week.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I say with the Dynamic Pricing you really need to check your existing bookings very frequently.

We need 2 nights in Milan. Initially I used my remaining 50K cert + 13K pts for Westin Palace over the LC Excelsior across from the Milan Centrale. Then the Westin went up to 64K while Excelsior went down to 62K. 2 days later Westin went to 69K, Excelsior did not change still at 62K. A day later when I looked again, Westin back down to 63K but now Excelsior went to 59K... Needless to say I switched to Excelsior, especially learning that the hotel provides free shuttle on request to Milan city center. Our 2nd night I have to transfer UR pts to book the Hyatt Centric quite near Excelsior. So this works out well. The past few days Westin was at 63K Excelsior was at 60K...

It requires us to be more vigilant to check our existing bookings so we could take advantage when and if there are point reductions. It is not all bad. 5 consecutive nights have not been easy even in the long ago past, so I no longer count on such nice showing any more. Though I was able to secure several 5 nights in Hong Kong for Sept BEFORE China changed its heart 2 months ago. The point requirements shot up for a while then subsided down, although still higher than when I booked, but not a whole lot.
With reference to the first line....

1. what is "very frequently"... daily?

2. Is there a sweet spot? i.e 14 to 21 days prior to the planned stay, for instance...

Inquiring minds want to know :-)
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:24 am

Ten months to go, my five night 140,000 stay booked last month has dropped to 132,000 now. Last year it was 100,000, .

Cash rate for that stay is ¥500,000, so it's great value.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Ten months to go, my five night 140,000 stay booked last month has dropped to 132,000 now. Last year it was 100,000, .

Cash rate for that stay is ¥500,000, so it's great value.
5 nights for 132,000? That's cheap, which hotel is that?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Skytizen
With reference to the first line....

1. what is "very frequently"... daily?

2. Is there a sweet spot? i.e 14 to 21 days prior to the planned stay, for instance...

Inquiring minds want to know :-)
1. Prices do change daily. It rare to see changes more than once a day - but I have seen it. My practice is usually morning and evening check. Easy on the app as it remembers your previous checks (but of course repricing only work on web interface).

2. Really no set time - but if there is a pattern it is either very early (a year out to 10 months out), or closer to the stay (4-6 weeks out). - in my recent experience prices moved from 166,000 to 154,000 about 11 months out, and now to 144,000 about 3 weeks out (as one example).

It would also depend on whether you are looking internationally as exchange rate seems to play a role as well.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I just saw a very strange one today at a European hotel. I booked it in Jan for 213K pts for a 3 night stay in Aug. I watched it climb to ~233K pts. And boom, today it dropped to 167K pts (for 3 nights). I suspect it's an error so I want to give my friends a chance to book before I post it here.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
5 nights for 132,000? That's cheap, which hotel is that?
Courtyard, Hakuba, Japan. Pretty typical of the nice Courtyards we have here. Elite lounge, hot spring and restaurant breakfast.
A couple years ago it was 25,000 points a night, so 5 were 100,000.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:16 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I just saw a very strange one today at a European hotel. I booked it in Jan for 213K pts for a 3 night stay in Aug. I watched it climb to ~233K pts. And boom, today it dropped to 167K pts (for 3 nights). I suspect it's an error so I want to give my friends a chance to book before I post it here.
Is the rate still available?
Old Apr 30, 2023, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diablo77
Is the rate still available?
Looks like it was a one day sale! Sheraton Park Lane in London was available for 52-58K pts per night for all of Aug. Now it’s back to 72-78K pts/night. I booked 3 nights for 53, 57 and 57K pts and was able to use a 40K cert + top up for the first night.

So I guess one should be checking daily with these dynamic prices.
yyzflyer and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: HH Gold
Looks like it was a one day sale! Sheraton Park Lane in London was available for 52-58K pts per night for all of Aug. Now it’s back to 72-78K pts/night. I booked 3 nights for 53, 57 and 57K pts and was able to use a 40K cert + top up for the first night.

So I guess one should be checking daily with these dynamic prices.
Yes you're right, I checked for other hotels and Bankside hotel is only 50K per night from the end of July till beginning of September. I am wondering if there is a thread on this forum where you can highlight good deals using points.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diablo77
Yes you're right, I checked for other hotels and Bankside hotel is only 50K per night from the end of July till beginning of September. I am wondering if there is a thread on this forum where you can highlight good deals using points.
Not as far as I know. I've been posting some of them in this thread and also the specific hotel thread (I had a huge decrease at JW Singapore).

I noticed the W London is also in the 50s for August, but I don't know if it was always that. I do not like the brand so usually don't pay attention to it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
If you keep checking consistently, it happens -- I snagged a hotel I was looking at that was hovering around 270K forever and dropped to 200K. Lasted only one day.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed the W London is also in the 50s for August, but I don't know if it was always that. I do not like the brand so usually don't pay attention to it.
Just noticed that W London that was 169K pts is now 234K pts for my 3 nights, so back to 78K pts/night. Another short sale!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.