Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Crap, I may need to confirm a couple 120k/night points advance reservations. I thought I was safe since they were both at the prior max. Hopefully its just those two and not a slow rollout to all the high end properties.
cap no longer exists / published so every chance it could happen to all
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Ugh, this is brutal.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
So as we sit here in early March, when there would normally be category changes, the only confirmed real change we see is the increase in the per night cap to 150K for select properties?

FWIW I checked some aspirational properties that still seem to be in 2022 dynamic pricing range - Ritz Carlton Maldives at 110K points, or $2,400 per night, for example.

What clearly hasn't happened is a fixed point per cent ratio that a lot of people were fearing. That has preserved value in the Bonvoy program for now.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
I have one property booked at 34k and now the lowest available points rate for the next year is 39k for that property. There have been slight tweaks in the lower end properties but nothing too noticeable aside from the 150k ones.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by frank.lan.yufan
Looking at the JW Shenzhen Bao’an, and the point pricing ranges from 27k to 59k. Used to be within cat 3 up until this week. (15k to 20k)
Not sure if they are testing the fully dynamic model or just a IT glitch.
This looks fixed now. It looks to be bumped from the former Cat 3 to the "new Cat 4" with 30k pts max.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adelphos
So as we sit here in early March, when there would normally be category changes, the only confirmed real change we see is the increase in the per night cap to 150K for select properties?

FWIW I checked some aspirational properties that still seem to be in 2022 dynamic pricing range - Ritz Carlton Maldives at 110K points, or $2,400 per night, for example.

What clearly hasn't happened is a fixed point per cent ratio that a lot of people were fearing. That has preserved value in the Bonvoy program for now.
Points value seems to be best at the higher end of the portfolio.
I am seeing pretty high point requirements compared to cash rates for Moxy/Courtyard/Aloft etc.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
I am seeing pretty high point requirements compared to cash rates for Moxy/Courtyard/Aloft etc.
And at the low end. You can still get some former Cat 1 rooms in the US for 6.5k pts/nt, which is great for matress runners using points.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
And at the low end. You can still get some former Cat 1 rooms in the US for 6.5k pts/nt, which is great for matress runners using points.
I wish we had that option in Japan.
The lowest we have are Fairfield for ¥13,000 ($100) or 15,000 points.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
If you go back in this thread, you will find multiple posts asserting exactly the opposite.

The reality is there is still value throughout the range, just as there are very poor deals throughout. I think you're less likely to have folks posting about the great value they go on the Courtyard Boise or AC Irvine though.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Another Devaluation With No Notice???

Glad I booked the St Regis Maldives a few weeks ago at 480k for 5 nights peak pricing.. they are now pricing it at 600k points for 5 nights in peak. What was capped at 120k points a night is now capping at 150k points a night. Seems all the other Maldives properties have been raised (Ritz is less than STR) as well as other top resorts that used to max at 120k a night.....
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:01 pm

Noticed increases of several thousands of points changes in Europe today.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ReallyNotFrequentFlyer
Noticed increases of several thousands of points changes in Europe today.
I have been monitoring a couple of sets of dates for a NYC hotel and a Berlin hotel over the last few weeks. Prices were at their lowest yesterday since I began monitoring, so I adjusted the bookings to get points back. Points have gone up today across the board.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Seeing prices over 120k at other luxury properties besides StR and RC Maldives now. Some 126k point dates in Kyoto for days that were previously 120k. Wonder what the upper bound on the band is now.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Seeing prices over 120k at other luxury properties besides StR and RC Maldives now. Some 126k point dates in Kyoto for days that were previously 120k. Wonder what the upper bound on the band is now.
Yikes! Even some former Cat 1's I knew have upper band of 12k points/night now. Just from what I've seen so far with the new upper limits:
Former Cat 2 --> 17.5k
Former Cat 3 --> 22.5k
Former Cat 4 --> 35k
Former Cat 5 --> 45k
Former Cat 6 --> 66k
Former Cat 7 --> 85k
Former Cat 7 +30k --> 106k (unaffected?) eg. Bodrum EDITION/RC Half Moon Bay
Former Cat 8 --> 110.5k
Former 120k max --> 126k
StR/RC Maldives --> 150k

Last edited by Tajador; Mar 22, 2023 at 2:50 pm
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:49 pm

With the higher point totals for aspirational properties, seemingly pricing out all FNC. Where are the sweet spots to you all? I don’t love the idea of using FNC plus 15k for a hotel I used to get with my 35k FNC and it appears from the random cities and dates I’ve chosen most FNC are for Springhill, Residence Inn etc. I know one can still save money ie pay $95 but hotel costs $200. Is it worth it for a Residence Inn? I’m not sure I have quite a few Marriott cards between wife and I. Not sure the FNCs are worth it, I was already having doubts in 21. Now it’s worse. Just curious what others think.
yscleo likes this.

Last edited by Dreamwalker; Mar 22, 2023 at 11:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.