Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
Figuring things out: Bonvoy vs Hyatt

Im Titanium Elite - should I work towards Globalist? A switch has been flipped and I dont feel same brand loyalty to Bonvoy anymore esp given recent dynamic pricing.

I've had a slew of bookings set up for Japan this year in hopes that things open... so right now I'm in a bit of a sweet spot for a few places. I have a 2 nights at the MESM in Tokyo for about 30000 JPY per night (uSD, $232! consecutive night promotion which is long over) which is a steal given the 50,000 points redemption. But in truth, both feel like 'good value' because I locked in a room rate early in pandemic, I think MESM is close to 48000 JPY right now, closer the USD $371.

But in general, the places that I want to go - big cities like NYC (old hometown), Paris, London, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Barcelona - and the properties I want to stay at, seem (as FT noted) really disproportionately hurt by dynamic pricing.

I was going to head back to NYC for a bar mitzvah for close friends in June, and wanted to stay nearish to Central Park. Essex House rates are 80,000 points, Meridien and Residence Inn cash rates were high even on older less inflationary rates, and neither had breakfast benefits or onsite dining right now (even if I wanted the convenience). So I ... just went with Hyatt despite only Discoverist status (Im Titanium Elite on Bonvoy). 25,000 points per night at Thompson or Andaz 5th. No SNA of course, but...

25000/nt > $2000 cash rate at a crappier hotel (Le Meridien), and 25000/nt (Thompson) > 92000 nt (Essex) even factoring value of possible suite upgrade and 'free breaky'. Imean at that rate:Hyatt is worth $.02! And Bonvoy is worth $.006!

My last 2 nights in Tokyo - Jul 9-11. Westin Tokyo 60,000 points. GHT - 25,000. I dig the WT! Rooms are oldish, Ebisu > Roppongi (tho I havent stayed in Roppongi yet), but still... breaky is what, $30USD pp? Honestly, wasn't even a close choice. Just switched from Andaz Toranomon to GHT (2 rooms 2 nights gets me 20000 point savings between the two) and GHT seems like still a lovely property. Not the PHT where I've stayed a few times, but with Prince Gallery poor elite recognition... no easy competitor to Andaz or PHT at very highest end.

It seems to me that Bonvoy points are worth less than $.007 now. Since it seems to be tied to cash rates, given cash hikes - the Essex House is 92000 points a night, $555 USD for the time period I'm looking at.

With UR xfer to Hyatt, it was an easy choice. I've hit Titanium for the year, so I have no incentive in this case. TBH, doing the same for my Tokyo trips.

So I'm wondering - I dont travel a lot for work anymore, but that may tick up. Maybe I should try and maximize Hyatt status, though I do not think I can hit Globalist this year.

Why should I stay beyond the Titanium status? Where's my calculus wrong?
A Hyatt point has always been worth more than a Marriott point. Frequent Miler blog values Hyatt points at $0.016 each, but Marriott points at $0.0075 each. You have to account for the ease of earning as well as the redemption rates. They aren't equivalent.

As a current Globalist and former SPG Ambassador, get away from Marriott if Hyatt has enough properties where you travel. That's really the only downside to Hyatt at this point - lack of properties or poor selection where you may need them.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by slariz
A Hyatt point has always been worth more than a Marriott point. Frequent Miler blog values Hyatt points at $0.016 each, but Marriott points at $0.0075 each. You have to account for the ease of earning as well as the redemption rates. They aren't equivalent.

As a current Globalist and former SPG Ambassador, get away from Marriott if Hyatt has enough properties where you travel. That's really the only downside to Hyatt at this point - lack of properties or poor selection where you may need them.
Yeah - the disparity was just too much with this latest change for my travel patterns I think.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by slariz
Frequent Miler blog values Hyatt points at $0.016 each, but Marriott points at $0.0075 each. You have to account for the ease of earning as well as the redemption rates. They aren't equivalent.
I think the disparity in value is even greater than that. You can get some really nice Hyatt hotels for 20k-25k that would be comparable to Marriotts for 60k-80k points. Even at the lower end, Hyatt has several Cat 1 properties that are closer to the city center in a lot of places than Marriott (formerly) Cat 1 or 2.
tripmaster and strickerj like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I think the disparity in value is even greater than that. You can get some really nice Hyatt hotels for 20k-25k that would be comparable to Marriotts for 60k-80k points. Even at the lower end, Hyatt has several Cat 1 properties that are closer to the city center in a lot of places than Marriott (formerly) Cat 1 or 2.
Exactly. The Andaz and Thompson in NYC are 25000 and the Essex House is 92000 points for the same period I'm looking at. Late summer taking son to college, GH Washington DC is 15000; even the Park Hyatt is 17000. But cash rates at the GH are ridiculously low, <$160 corp rate. And my free night is good there. Goiing to experiment w Prive rate.

The challenge is how I can get to Globalist this year - probably can't without a mattress run.
DallasEsq and strickerj like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
The direct points to points comparison are not meaningful.

As Ambassador, I earn 17.5 points per dollar spent at Marriott. At Hyatt, as Globalist I earn 6.5 points per dollar spent. Nearly 3x higher earn per dollar for Marriott. So shouldn't be surprising to anyone that Marriott properties often cost 3x more.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The direct points to points comparison are not meaningful.

As Ambassador, I earn 17.5 points per dollar spent at Marriott. At Hyatt, as Globalist I earn 6.5 points per dollar spent. Nearly 3x higher earn per dollar for Marriott. So shouldn't be surprising to anyone that Marriott properties often cost 3x more.
that’s true, there’s also secondary points sources too, like UR and Bilt points. I know points aren’t 1:1, that’s why I’m wondering about whether to try and get Hyatt status once I hit titanium.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
that’s true, there’s also secondary points sources too, like UR and Bilt points. I know points aren’t 1:1, that’s why I’m wondering about whether to try and get Hyatt status once I hit titanium.
If you can get both Marriott P/T/A and Hyatt Globalist (and you want to stay at Hyatt properties) without an amount of spend that is significantly higher than you would be normally spending, go for it. But, make sure you actually want to stay at Hyatt properties and that they exist in the destinations you want to travel to.
​​​​​​
I'm Ambassador and Globalist - enjoy both - though, I have been leaning towards Marriott more recently due to the need for Ambassador spend, higher treatment received as an Ambassador (top of list for upgrades), and diversity of footprint (i.e. many choices in Canada vs. like 1 or 2 Hyatts per city in Canada).
SPN Lifer and tripmaster like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
If you can get both Marriott P/T/A and Hyatt Globalist (and you want to stay at Hyatt properties) without an amount of spend that is significantly higher than you would be normally spending, go for it. But, make sure you actually want to stay at Hyatt properties and that they exist in the destinations you want to travel to.
​​​​​​
I'm Ambassador and Globalist - enjoy both - though, I have been leaning towards Marriott more recently due to the need for Ambassador spend, higher treatment received as an Ambassador (top of list for upgrades), and diversity of footprint (i.e. many choices in Canada vs. like 1 or 2 Hyatts per city in Canada).
Yeah, good points. My main areas of travel for work are going to be SF/Burlingame, London, Stockholm. Marriott's way better in London, but I can live with what Hyatt has there. For family, NYC, DC, Vancouver BC. NYC/DC Hyatt seems to have an edge. Japan, Hyatt feels like it's better. Paris - Marriott has an edge?

I likely won't get Ambassador spend, though work is a wildcard.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Yeah, good points. My main areas of travel for work are going to be SF/Burlingame, London, Stockholm. Marriott's way better in London, but I can live with what Hyatt has there. For family, NYC, DC, Vancouver BC. NYC/DC Hyatt seems to have an edge. Japan, Hyatt feels like it's better. Paris - Marriott has an edge?

I likely won't get Ambassador spend, though work is a wildcard.
I am not sure on the Europe side of things - hoping to travel there for the first time at some point near the end of the year and have not yet done my travel research. I would overall agree on the sentiment towards Hyatt exceeding in NYC and DC (although, in DC, it's really just the Grand and Park and maybe the Thompson if they can fix their breakfast situation, so only two good choices in the actual city) - though, my Hyatt numbers are higher in those cities because of the choices. Marriott in DC has plenty of good options - I need to explore Marriott in NYC more and have some stays planned for the near future.

Let me be clear, though - my experience and sentiment towards Marriott improved vastly after achieving Ambassador last year. I am now funneling more stays to Marriott to try to hit the $20K (rather than the $14K last year) to maintain this experience at the increased number of Marriott properties I still have and want to try (as well as return to). I don't think the Platinum or Titanium experience compares. I will likely always prefer Marriott due to my long-running attachment to several of their brands as well as their increased footprint (will be especially useful as I start traveling internationally).
SPN Lifer, tripmaster and dcmike like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I am now funneling more stays to Marriott to try to hit the $20K (rather than the $14K last year) to maintain this experience at the increased number of Marriott properties I still have and want to try (as well as return to). I don't think the Platinum or Titanium experience compares. I will likely always prefer Marriott due to my long-running attachment to several of their brands as well as their increased footprint (will be especially useful as I start traveling internationally).
It is nice to see someone writing positively about their experiences for a change.

Beaucoup Bonv°y! 🌴
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think that most would say it's not even a close call if the Hyatt footprint works for you.

The difference between Globalist perks/treatment and Ambassador perks/treatment is night and day in favor of Hyatt. In my view, the only rational reason to hit Ambassador is (i) you're locked into a corporate contract which requires or strongly favors Marriott stays, or (ii) there are a small number of Marriott properties where you have big spend.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It is nice to see someone writing positively about their experiences for a change.

Beaucoup Bonv°y! 🌴
Agreed, I grew up staying in Marriotts during my early childhood and then spent my teenage years almost solely at SPG properties, so I have a strong penchant for Westin and Marriott (normal FS) for my "normal" stays. I doubt this will change anytime soon :-)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I am not sure on the Europe side of things - hoping to travel there for the first time at some point near the end of the year and have not yet done my travel research. I would overall agree on the sentiment towards Hyatt exceeding in NYC and DC (although, in DC, it's really just the Grand and Park and maybe the Thompson if they can fix their breakfast situation, so only two good choices in the actual city) - though, my Hyatt numbers are higher in those cities because of the choices. Marriott in DC has plenty of good options - I need to explore Marriott in NYC more and have some stays planned for the near future.

Let me be clear, though - my experience and sentiment towards Marriott improved vastly after achieving Ambassador last year. I am now funneling more stays to Marriott to try to hit the $20K (rather than the $14K last year) to maintain this experience at the increased number of Marriott properties I still have and want to try (as well as return to). I don't think the Platinum or Titanium experience compares. I will likely always prefer Marriott due to my long-running attachment to several of their brands as well as their increased footprint (will be especially useful as I start traveling internationally).
How has your experience improved as Ambassador? I have noticed no difference from when I was Titanium, apart from a greater sense of disappointment!
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
How has your experience improved as Ambassador? I have noticed no difference from when I was Titanium, apart from a greater sense of disappointment!
My perception (not necessarily data-driven) is that my suite upgrade rate has vastly increased since becoming an Ambassador - I have had several upgrades occur at properties sold out online even (just by asking at check-in). It's especially notable as this is 2022 data compared to experiences in 2020 and 2021 (when travel demand was reduced). I can tell that I'm much closer to the top of the list for upgrades, and I encounter less resistance to my requests (not that there should be resistance). This includes suites outside SNA pools at some really nice properties (such as the Ritz Chicago).

I also am noticing much more frequent welcome gifts - some of which have been especially delightful (i.e. box of truffles at W Philadelphia, box of 20 cookies at the Sheraton Waikiki, fruit plate at Hotel Clio, loaf of homemade banana bread at Mauna Kea). I did not get these before Ambassador, and I don't get these too often as a Hyatt Globalist (though, I have). While, yes, it's just a temporary gift - I appreciate them and feel appreciated every time I get them.

Ambassador service has also been helpful - I have been lucky enough to speak to some rather fervent agents who have been helpful and easy to communicate with (though, my Hyatt Concierge has also been very helpful). Of course, I've had some that are less helpful, but that is more because of policy restrictions anyway.

Frankly, I know that the breakfast situation is better and easier at Hyatt properties as a Globalist (though not always perfect - i.e. Hyatt Centric Waikiki). However, I have found that Hyatt suite upgrades have been harder to come by - likely due to the glut of Globalists. I have also had negative experiences where I know I have been placed in a hotel's worst suite or been flat-out refused upgrades to the hotel's smallest suite unless I paid (discounted rates available for Globalists). It's insulting and really bums me out.

Another angle - Marriott has more luxury and aspirational properties that I want to stay at in the future and that I want to return to. Whether this be by points (yes, some of these have gotten harder) or by cash, I want top-tier status to maximize my enjoyment of these stays. At Hyatt, I feel like I've practically seen the best they have to offer (at least in the US and in destinations I want to travel to - not looking for rural resorts in California - a market they have a weird focus on).
Old May 16, 2022, 4:58 pm

However, I have found that Hyatt suite upgrades have been harder to come by - likely due to the glut of Globalists.
My experience has been exactly the opposite, with consistent Hyatt upgrades and lots of Marriott disappointments.

Do you have an active social media presence? Because your domestic Marriott upgrade experiences are not consistent with mine, nor with what most are reporting in this forum.
Tanic, Boraxo, UA-NYC and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.