Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
These are all very interesting points and I appreciate the different perspectives. I think my newness in the "travel loyalty game" has biased my opinions. I find that I get wonderful value out of status benefits still (lovely suite upgrades, delicious (and usually completely free) breakfasts, and late checkout). On average, I stay at 2-3 hotels a week and have found benefit delivery to be about 90% effective over the past year. Perhaps, my experience would have been even better had I started this all 10 years ago.

Still, I think my priority of status benefits over points earning and burning is likely what keeps me from feeling despondent over these changes (they definitely aren't positive - not trying to say that).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
These are all very interesting points and I appreciate the different perspectives. I think my newness in the "travel loyalty game" has biased my opinions. I find that I get wonderful value out of status benefits still (lovely suite upgrades, delicious (and usually completely free) breakfasts, and late checkout). On average, I stay at 2-3 hotels a week and have found benefit delivery to be about 90% effective over the past year. Perhaps, my experience would have been even better had I started this all 10 years ago.

Still, I think my priority of status benefits over points earning and burning is likely what keeps me from feeling despondent over these changes (they definitely aren't positive - not trying to say that).
A lot of Flyertalkers forget that many people are just now getting into the loyalty / travel game. Starwood merger closed six years ago. 24-25-26 year olds that are just starting their travel careers only known Bonvoy, never heard of SPG. Things change, life goes on
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
A lot of Flyertalkers forget that many people are just now getting into the loyalty / travel game. Starwood merger closed six years ago. 24-25-26 year olds that are just starting their travel careers only known Bonvoy, never heard of SPG. Things change, life goes on
My first card was the Amex SPG in '18... didn't get a chance to use it before the merger happened. As a millenial, all the SPG talk sounds just like the pre-9/11 glory days of American life that I'll never get to experience
Boraxo, lsquare and Jerkstore like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by flayum
My first card was the Amex SPG in '18... didn't get a chance to use it before the merger happened. As a millenial, all the SPG talk sounds just like the pre-9/11 glory days of American life that I'll never get to experience
I'm sure a Gen Z'er will express this exact sentiment in 5 years time too vis-a-vis today's state of play.

People forget the youngest Millennials are 26 now!
Blake22222 and flayum like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
LOL

Do you mean those LT and LP are just making noises?
making noises and still staying is one thing, making noises and say they won’t ever stay at Marriotts and then still “secretly” stays at Marriotts is another .
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:38 am

For me, these changes mean I'll look to Marriott after exhausting my Hyatt options. The biggest problem for me is a lack of consistency across Marriott properties - you never know what you'll get when you arrive. With Hyatt, the service and upgrades are held to a much more consistent standard and as a Globalist, that is important to me. Couple that with waived resort and parking fees, and Hyatt will be by first choice. But, of course, Marriott's footprint is exponentially larger and so cannot avoid entirely.

Additionally, Hyatt's aspirational properties where I want to vacation seem entirely within reach where now many of Marriott's do not.

The real question will be do I still get value from my Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card and I'm not sure I do.
renila, milehound and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
So 3 nights at the Residence Inn Bethany Beach went from 210k points to 290k points... Yowsers. For a Residence Inn (granted a nicer one than most, or so I hear, but still).... Cash rates are around $700-$800/night. The rates at the St. Regis Bal Harbor in Miami went from about 70-80k/night to about 80-90k night. Cash rates are around $1,000/night.

So go figure....
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
So 3 nights at the Residence Inn Bethany Beach went from 210k points to 290k points... Yowsers. For a Residence Inn (granted a nicer one than most, or so I hear, but still).... Cash rates are around $700-$800/night. The rates at the St. Regis Bal Harbor in Miami went from about 70-80k/night to about 80-90k night. Cash rates are around $1,000/night.

So go figure....
That's a function of (1) drivable proximity to big MSA's with wealthy people (DC, Philly and Baltimore are all < 3hrs driving to the Delaware beaches and (2) very limited big chain properties.

I get what you're saying; the St Regis Bal Harbor is a far better deal but for most well off families in the area, packing the kids into the car and driving < 3hrs is preferable to trekking through an airport to get to MIA/FLL even if you sacrifice on the quality side of the accommodation. The RI in Bethany is gonna be 100% occupied June thru August so there's no incentive for them to take points bookings at regular rates.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by myperks
Don’t worry… all the lifetime titaniums (and platinums) are all talk, especially the ex-SPGers… they all end up still making there way back to utilize their lifetime benefits at Marriott, not that anyone of them want to admit to
I'll admit it. The only difference over the last few years is that I've gone from close to 100% Marriott stays to about 50-60% Marriott stays. I still end up spending about 100 nights a year with Marriott but the remaining 60-70 nights a year that used to go to SPG/Marriott now go to other hotels.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by ray1111
Looking from another angle, it's not all neutral at the low end. I checked on a couple of utilitarian stays that I booked at a Fairfield property in western Mass. For one of them 5 nights booked at 40K (and still available a couple of days ago) is now requiring 68K. The other 5 nights booked at 42.5K is now showing 69K. Kinda steep percentage-wise.
Western Mass in the summer is a major tourist destination. Not surprised rates went up.
milehound likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:25 am

All these changes on the high end, yet they are still charging 25K for the Fairfield/Courtyard/etc that have "cash" prices of $125 - $150.
drod likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, United 1K, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Adelphos
For many (maybe most), it won't return for many years. With hybrid work (people in 3-4 days a week, so fewer meetings on Monday), increased holidays (Spring break seems to last a month and a half, Juneteenth will turn much of June into another summer vacation month, people take off all of January), more Zoom, there will simply be fewer opportunities for business travel than before.
Agreed here - seeing a very similar sentiment both within finance across the country and friends/family in other NYC industries. My team has done 2-3 trips since beginning of the year, but this is a far cry from the weekly stays we previously had. Read just about any sell-side analyst research report of Delta, United or Marriott to get a sense of how business travel is recovering (spoiler: not going very well).
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Blake22222
Read just about any sell-side analyst research report of Delta, United or Marriott to get a sense of how business travel is recovering (spoiler: not going very well).
Nevertheless, every single flight I've flown on this year both for business and leisure has been pretty much jam packed. Between my colleague and myself we fly at minimum weekly.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Blake22222
Agreed here - seeing a very similar sentiment both within finance across the country and friends/family in other NYC industries. My team has done 2-3 trips since beginning of the year, but this is a far cry from the weekly stays we previously had. Read just about any sell-side analyst research report of Delta, United or Marriott to get a sense of how business travel is recovering (spoiler: not going very well).
Originally Posted by friedablass
Nevertheless, every single flight I've flown on this year both for business and leisure has been pretty much jam packed. Between my colleague and myself we fly at minimum weekly.
Both of these statements are true. Business travel is recovering, but not as quickly as leisure travel has recovered. Leisure travel (or blended business / leisure) is now a permanently higher mix of travel. Overall travel demand will exceed pre Covid levels at some point this year.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Isn't the new points price supposed to be linked to the cash price? Clearly that's not the case in all situations.

The value of a point towards the use of a hotel is now too unpredictable. Add in the resort/destination fees and it makes it even worse. I'm done with Marriott.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.