Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Hide Wikipost
Old May 7, 22, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: username
Wiki Link
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 29, 22, 7:45 pm

ritz carlton maldives
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
St Regis NYC up from 100K to 106k a night

W South Beach 100K > 120K

Aloft Miami Aventura 40K > 31-39K

Harlem Aloft 35k > 40K

Le Meridien Maldives amazing value at 35K up now to 50K!

New York Edition, 70K > 66K

St. Pancras Renaissance 60K > 56K

Marriott Maida Vale 35K > 38K

Some properties have crept up ever so slightly in order to make the 35K FNA's unusable and to claw back extra points....

Le Meridien Denver, Tribute Magnolia Denver 35K > 38K - Denver Brown Place - 35K > 38K (although on some dates it is down to 32K)

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; Mar 29, 22 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:33 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
I booked a St Regis GV last night before the new rates are loaded, and it quoted at the 400k points for 5 nights, and I pressed "confirm booking" but there was an error on the website and couldn't load the final page to deduct my points and couldn't reach hotline. I had enough points for the 400k redemption but it just wouldn't load. But this morning (HK time), it showed up in "My Trips" but as a point advance with the new increased rate of 463k. This is absolute insanity. Why did it pop up and error and didn't go through when I had enough points and but now shows as a point advance even though I did nothing further with the booking? I'll try to contact marriott to see if they can confirm my booking at the original 400k.
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Not all bad news for me....for now.

Great:
Tambo del Inka went from 60K down to 44K per night for my dates in June. Actually pretty good redemption value.
Prague went from 50K down to 43K per night.

Bad:
Wailea Beach Resort went from 70K up to 100K per night for December. (Marriott did say this property would increase up to 30K points so at least it wasn't a surprise.)
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by az22 View Post
I was eyeing some YVR properties as well for the summer. Luckily I booked last week.

Basically all downtown properties were 50K, with exception of Sherton Wall Centre at 35K. The properties around the airport were all 35K and Element Metrotown was also 35K.

As it stands now for a random Tuesday in late May:
Downtown:
  • Metropolitan: 50K -> 47K
  • Sheraton Wall Center: 35K -> 39K
  • Marriott Pinnacle: 50K -> 58K
  • Delta Downtown: 50K -> 52K
  • Residence Inn: 50K -> 52K
  • Douglas: 50K -> 45K
  • JW Marriott: 50K -> 53K
  • Westin: 50K -> 45K
Element Metrotown: 35K -> 34K

Airport:
  • Westin: 35K -> 38K
  • Four Points: 35K -> 37K
  • Marriott: 35K -> 39K
  • Sheraton: 35K -> 33K
Richmond Four Points 37K...what a joke
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:48 pm
soy

Programs: various
For what its worth Loyalty Lobby reporting that Bonvoy has changed the T&C so instead of Free Night Rewards, we now have Gifted Night Rewards.
I cannot imagine any good will come of this. Its sad how much marriott has declined. For sure we had the initial gloss when the two programs merged, but now I would argue Bonvoy is significantly worse that either of its parents.

Legacy Marriott has gone from 'it does what it says on the box' to a 'better read the small print' type company, while Starwood was probably not sustainable in its former guise.
imverge, KRSW, volabam and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Complete massacre at high end (see examples below)

St. Regis Aspen - prior non-peak 5nt = 370k; new rate same 5nt = 449.5k
St. Regis Deer Valley - same dates - formerly 385k/5nt; new rate = 442k /5nt
JW Essex - April - formerly 60k/nt; new rate = 88k/nt
Ren TimesSq - April - formerly 55k/nt; new rate 57k/nt
St. Regis NYC - April - now 108k/nt
JW Wash DC - now 59k/nt on a $423 rate
St. Regis DC - 66k on a $538 rate
various Westins DC - no change
GUWonder, SPN Lifer, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Most hotels for my April Scottsdale/Tempe area trip went down slightly. But a couple hotels that were wide-open available earlier today flipped to unavailable. I did not expect that.

I will keep my original award, but I don't like the fact that some underlying availability formula changed in addition to the number of points required to redeem.
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Le Meridien Maldives amazing value at 35K up now to 50K!
Plenty of nights in 2023 peak season are now 60k points. That's almost double of the 35k you could have previously booked at!
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC 50k, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Seems to me a lot more than 200 properties increased.

I have a booking at W London in April for 5 nights... 200k. It's now 265k.

Ron.
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by soy View Post
For what its worth Loyalty Lobby reporting that Bonvoy has changed the T&C so instead of Free Night Rewards, we now have Gifted Night Rewards.
I cannot imagine any good will come of this. Its sad how much marriott has declined..
That is not what loyalty lobby is reporting. “Free night awards” are now known as “award redemption stays”, and “gifted night rewards” are something else entirely - those are point reservations booked by a member for somebody other than a member to use.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/03/29/...es-march-2022/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ultrawin View Post
Richmond Four Points 37K...what a joke
The cash rate during the pandemic has been pretty reasonable. I wouldn't use points or FNC at that property.
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
Seems to me a lot more than 200 properties increased.

I have a booking at W London in April for 5 nights... 200k. It's now 265k.

Ron.
I had 5 nights at the W in July, was 280K, now rebooked at 272K.

Also rebooked a Sheraton LHR at 16K instead of 17.5K
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I am using most of my points at WDW in late August/early September. So glad I booked when we did.

I originally booked six nights at the Swan for 220,000 points, and had to hold off on the 7th night until my CC points posted. But then one of the nights dropped from the nominal Cat 6 rate of 50K down to off-peak rate of 40K, and I was able to book the all seven nights sooner than anticipated. The entire reservation was now obtained for 250,000 points for all seven nights.

Tonight that same reservation has gone to 325,000 points. That's 250K to 325K. Previously it was one night at 50K: one free, and the rest at 40K. Now the six 6 paid nights are 54K to 56K each. That is within the parameters of the the announcement, as it is till less than the Cat 6 peak of 60 K/night, but obviously a huge increase. If I had to book now, it would be one less night at the Swan

In comparison, a room at the Swan Reserve for those same nights went from 270K to 278K.

I am also trying to add a night one day before our seven night reservation. Before today's change, a was planning to top off a 35K cert with 15 K to keep us in the Swan for all eight nights. Now that it is not possible, as that room is 54K. I have the Gaylord Plams booked with the cert, and that dropped from 35K to 33K. Not helpful when using a cert. Right now, the Swan Reserve is an option, as that is showing 49K, and would be an easier move when heading to the Swan. Who knows what rates I will even be seeing when the top off option goes live?
Old Mar 29, 22, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by hphreak View Post
I booked a St Regis GV last night before the new rates are loaded, and it quoted at the 400k points for 5 nights, and I pressed "confirm booking" but there was an error on the website and couldn't load the final page to deduct my points and couldn't reach hotline. I had enough points for the 400k redemption but it just wouldn't load. But this morning (HK time), it showed up in "My Trips" but as a point advance with the new increased rate of 463k. This is absolute insanity. Why did it pop up and error and didn't go through when I had enough points and but now shows as a point advance even though I did nothing further with the booking? I'll try to contact marriott to see if they can confirm my booking at the original 400k.
This has been happening to a LOT of people!

Marriott over the last few days were pushing bookings through as 'points advance' even if members had a plentiful amount of Points in their account.

For many, there was no way of even knowing unless they looked extremely carefully at their reservation where you are given the option to have the points deducted closer to the time or immediately.

Deliberate or just bad IT?

Search this Thread