Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Travel packages are being discontinued: what about points to miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:18 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Marriott is discontinuing travel packages as of 19 Jan 2022. Will Marriott continue to allow movement of points to airlines? Right now, for every 60,000 points, we get 20,000 airline miles plus a 5,000 mile bonus. It's one of the only ways to top up miles in programs that do not have credit card transfer partners such as Chase Ultimate Rewards or AMEX Membership Rewards. Alaska Air is one example.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...ts-to-miles.mi

Does anyone have any insight as to whether this benefit will continue?
cfischer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
With the tight relationship between United, Marriott, and Chase...I would wager this continues.
Of course, always subject to them changing the rates of transfers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Just a guess on my part, but I see three issues with the TPs that might have pushed Marriott to get rid of them:
  1. Outsized benefit. While TPs aren't the pinnacle of hotel awards they once were, they still gave a sizeable benefit. Individually 7 nights at a Cat. 8 (standard points cost) would be 510K points plus 300K points for 110,000 United miles. This translates into 810K points cost where the TP only costs 750K points. And the benefit only gets better if the Cat 8 requires Peak pricing. Which leads to #2 below.
  2. With Off-Peak/Standard/Peak award pricing within a single category for most of this year (2022) and then to a more fully flexible award pricing from there, the whole TP structure around hotel category levels becomes unwieldy. Marriott would have to completely overhall how TPs awards would be priced or they just get rid of them.
  3. Also, Marriott's program used to be based off optimizing awards for 7 night stays. Their awards are really more optimized for 5 night stays now. So again, they need to overhall TP awards or just get rid of them.
Note that for all 3 above issues with TPs, none of those are a concern or issue with a straight points to miles conversion award. So my guess is those aren't going away as probably both the airlines and Marriott get benefits from offering those awards.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The big thing putting the TPs on the cutting block: Marriott being cheap and aiming to go cheaper, even at the expense of customers.

Marriott probably wants to cut its costs of buying airline miles since the miles aren't getting cheaper for bulk-buying in an environment where the best prices go to the big-mile-buying banks but otherwise increase to some extent for other buyers. And what's most financially important for Marriott when it comes to points being redeemed? To reduce its expense per point redeemed by customers. My guess is that gutting the value of travel packages was likely only the first step en route to eliminating the travel packages. And in an environment of flexible points pricing for award nights, Marriott will probably not want to maintain a parallel -- but fixed award pricing -- system which is shrinking in customer utility as and because Marriott continues on the path away from fixed award pricing and on gutting the value of the TPs.

The points-to-miles conversion options will almost certainly outlive the TPs, but I expect that they will be on the cutting block to some extent too -- with worse transfer rates for more an more airlines and with some transfer options perhaps even being eliminated. Bonvoy is about going tres cheap.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Marriott is discontinuing travel packages as of 19 Jan 2022.
Just to be clear, are we talking about the hotel and air packages?: https://www.marriott.co.uk/loyalty/r...el/packages.mi

First I've heard of it so thanks if it's so as can book up pronto.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lizie
Just to be clear, are we talking about the hotel and air packages?: https://www.marriott.co.uk/loyalty/r...el/packages.mi

First I've heard of it so thanks if it's so as can book up pronto.
Yes, they are going away. Go to the end of this thread for discussion.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...19-2022-a.html
Lizie likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yes, they are going away. Go to the end of this thread for discussion.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...19-2022-a.html
Thank you for highlighting it. Very helpful, although I have to ask myself why as an alleged elite Marriott member I always seem to be getting my program knowledge off a forum based on another continent rather than in my email box. Anyway, back to the question, with the closure of the travel packages and Marriott's enhancement track record I wouldn't be surprised to see them go. Really frustrating if it does because we have so few Amex transfer partners over here in the UK as it is.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
TP were worthless anyway since the last devaluation IMO. No big loss here and IMO not unexpected. Few agents knew anyway how to deal with them.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
Pure speculation and call me alarmist: but I think they’ll be (bad) news on 1/19 overall. Some blogger said Marriott said that the communication of the elimination travel packages was a blunder (that it was just slipped into the terms and conditions of the program with no announcement). That makes me think there is broader news on 1/19 that could be effective immediately.

Again pure speculation. But I booked stuff to get down to <10000 points.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cfischer
TP were worthless anyway since the last devaluation IMO. No big loss here and IMO not unexpected. Few agents knew anyway how to deal with them.
Arguably for those who want to redeem for hotel nights, redeeming points for TPs before the 19th could be considered a better use for the points than waiting to get hit by the devaluation that comes from a more "flexible pricing" redemption scheme that doesn't price award nights strictly along published category levels.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
When do the nights expire on packages? Wouldn't mind locking up some nights for some Cat 8 stuff in the Maldives etc before the devalue
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sohan
When do the nights expire on packages? Wouldn't mind locking up some nights for some Cat 8 stuff in the Maldives etc before the devalue
You'll find people who can answer that question in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...19-2022-a.html
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Only need 3700 points to hit 420K.

I'll be ready to dump them into United at a moment's notice

Marriott can get bent.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
With the tight relationship between United, Marriott, and Chase...I would wager this continues.
Of course, always subject to them changing the rates of transfers.
If anything, I'm going to guess that the transfer to United lives and all the other Airlines get scrapped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.