Wiki Posts
Search

Best Ski Property (2022+)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Best Ski Property (2022+)

Hi folks,

Planning a ski-trip in late Feb/early March. Probably 5 nights on points. Would love to hear your thoughts on which properties you like the most, focus here is completely on amenities for skiing. Could be in North America or in Europe, we're pretty flexible.

Cheers!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:55 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I would suggest that if you haven't booked this by now; you may not going to have your best choice of hotels and only the best of what's left.

I was looking at the weekends for Colorado in late November 2021 and most were already completely sold out.

Your mileage may vary; mid week may be completely different.

Westin Whistler is always a good bet. I have also enjoyed the Vail Marriott and the Hotel Park City; although all three are pretty straightforward as opposed to being spectacular.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FTDDD
Hi folks,

Planning a ski-trip in late Feb/early March. Probably 5 nights on points. Would love to hear your thoughts on which properties you like the most, focus here is completely on amenities for skiing. Could be in North America or in Europe, we're pretty flexible.

Cheers!
W Verbier Switzerland is avalaible with points for end of February.
The ski slopes are mostly red and black, cool place if you are not a beginner.
​​​​​​
1200GS likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:21 pm

Think you will need to provide more info to get good feedback. How many people? 1 room or 2? Skiing levels, etc. Even with that your options to use points during peak weeks are limited now. Maybe Breckenridge... perhaps one of the Vail locations. Park City has a Sheraton that could be available, but not slopeside. My go to for a short ski adventure is SLC, just staying in town. But sounds like you want skiing amenities, so assume you are more interested in something close to the slopes. Given that, your options will be limited or non-existent using points.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:43 pm

Best Ski Property is your rich friends 2nd home that has ski in ski out access.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:15 am

If I were planning a ski trip, I'd put about 10 things higher in priority than hotel selection...the features of the mountain itself, the likely conditions at the time of year, COVID requirements / restrictions in the given jurisdictions, airfare / routing, access to resort from nearest airport, crowds / lift lines, price points, etc...but that's just me...
dcsnowwake and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
Best Ski Property is your rich friends 2nd home that has ski in ski out access.
Love it - can we be friends?
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
W Verbier Switzerland is avalaible with points for end of February.
The ski slopes are mostly red and black, cool place if you are not a beginner.
​​​​​​
Another vote for the W Verbier. Incredible property and lovely town.

Just don't know what restrictions will be in place, especially if you are looking to enjoy Verbier nightlife.

Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone chiming in here. I'm aware of limited availability, we are very flexible with dates so can try to navigate around the weekend etc.
Personally love the Westin Whistler. Any votes for Marriott Big Sky/Wilson Hotel?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thanks for everyone chiming in here. I'm aware of limited availability, we are very flexible with dates so can try to navigate around the weekend etc.
Personally love the Westin Whistler. Any votes for Marriott Big Sky/Wilson Hotel?
If you can check in on Feb 24, 25, 26, or 27, there is 5 nights for 400k at the St. Regis Deer Valley. Assuming you're skiers and not snowboarders, it's hard to beat the location and amenities... cash rates are $2-3k/night.
benfro6 and FTDDD like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:32 pm

In the US for ski, food, entertainment, and quality of hotel nothing compares to St Regis in Aspen
GUWonder, FTDDD, FlyingFrZ and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The St Regis Aspen has a lot of things going for it. Location being prime.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:04 pm

I've stayed at the the Wilson, albeit during the summer. It's a nice property and can be a great value for award stays (north of 2 cents per point during peak season). With that said, it's not an idyllic ski hotel. It's a 10 minute shuttle from the mountain and while there are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance from the Wilson, the area doesn't have much charm. If you're on a budget and you're mostly there for the skiing, go for it. If you're looking for the magic of a quintessential ski village, I'd look at Park City, Vail, or Aspen. If you want a secluded luxury resort look at the the Ritz Bachelor Gulch, the Ritz Lake Tahoe, or the St. Regis Deer Valley.
FTDDD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, UA, SWA, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by rucksack
I've stayed at the the Wilson, albeit during the summer. It's a nice property and can be a great value for award stays (north of 2 cents per point during peak season). With that said, it's not an idyllic ski hotel. It's a 10 minute shuttle from the mountain and while there are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance from the Wilson, the area doesn't have much charm. If you're on a budget and you're mostly there for the skiing, go for it. If you're looking for the magic of a quintessential ski village, I'd look at Park City, Vail, or Aspen. If you want a secluded luxury resort look at the the Ritz Bachelor Gulch, the Ritz Lake Tahoe, or the St. Regis Deer Valley.
I agree with Rucksack. The Wilson is the best Residence Inn I've experienced...but it's still a Residence Inn. The distance to the slopes is a worse problem than you might first think due to the limited shuttle capacity and frequency. You have to reserve outbound the day prior and the best spots fill quickly. There is no reservation for returns, it is just a scramble to get on before all the seats are gone as there is no queue. I stayed over New Year's the shortly after opening.

The amenities are sufficient for me, but it sounds like you might want a ski valet, a concierge, valet parking, a spa or more. The Wilson is not that and doesn't pretend to be. Skiing at Big Sky is among the best among the many North America locales I've enjoyed.
rucksack likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I’ll throw my seven cents in for the best Ski In, Ski Out resorts in North America thanks to Covid. If it wasn’t for Covid, I wouldn’t have had 40 days on the slopes last season.

Park City, Utah
**Marriott Summit Watch
**Marriott Mountainside

Both are MVC Resorts but can be had on points if available. They’re right next to the Lift and Mountainside is nearby four different lifts so you can be out of the door and on the slopes within 5-10 minutes.

Vail, Colorado
**Ritz Cartlton Bachelor Gulch
**Westin “Beaver Creek”
**Marriott Vail

Personally I am a big fan of the Ritz with unrivaled access in front of the lift that connects to the rest of the Vail Resorts. However the Westin has its own gondola that connects to the Beaver Creek lifts. The Marriott Vail at Lionshead is walkable to the Gondolas and Lifts but it’s always very crowded.

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
**Sheraton Steamboat

This is also a Ski In, Ski Out but conditions have always ranges from being icy to piste depending on fresh pow or not. You can fly into HDN and drive approximately 30 minutes to the mountains and as an added bonus there’s Strawberry Hot Springs nearby.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and FTDDD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.