Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Sustainability Fee" - a new name for resort fee???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sustainability Fee" - a new name for resort fee???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Hotels are not stupid.

1) They don’t have to pay a commission on the scam fees to 3rd party companies like Expedia.
2) They can collect the scam fee from guests on award bookings.
3) They don’t give points on the spend from the scam fee.

Genius!
They're definitely not stupid.

Shameless and ethically bankrupt, several are. It's been nice seeing some of these franchise owners squirm under COVID. Be a ....., karma will bite
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Maybe I should buy a hotel, then charge as follows:

Base rate : $50
Sustainability fee : $20
Housekeeping fee $10
Air Conditioning fee $10
Electricity surcharge $10
Water surcharge $10
Amenity surcharge $10 (1 time refill, extra amenity will be charged accordingly)
Maintenance fee $10
Laundry surcharge $10

From $50 rate magically grow to $140 revenue!
Marriott should hire me!
You're forgetting the fee for the in room safe, regardless of whether you use it or not. There should be a fee for the hotel having some sort of (minimal) concierge services. Also, let's not forget a fee to cover health benefits for employees and another one for paid sick time. I haven't seen it yet, but I expect to see fees to compensate for increased minimum wage requirements that probably took effect on January 1st.

Note that the AC fee is *not* only charged during the summer season. In fact, I was charged an AC surcharge long ago in a hotel that was not required to have its AC turned on so early in the season (before July 15th in Italy).
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Maybe I should buy a hotel, then charge as follows:

Base rate : $50
Sustainability fee : $20
Housekeeping fee $10
Air Conditioning fee $10
Electricity surcharge $10
Water surcharge $10
Amenity surcharge $10 (1 time refill, extra amenity will be charged accordingly)
Maintenance fee $10
Laundry surcharge $10

From $50 rate magically grow to $140 revenue!
Marriott should hire me!
Doesn't your suggestion amount to conspiring with the enemy since they might use your ideas to be even more "creative" than they are now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.