Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy BRG Best Rate Guarantee : Success, failure & discussion (2022 / 23 -)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy BRG Best Rate Guarantee : Success, failure & discussion (2022 / 23 -)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp
That's normal. As long as it's written correctly in the email with the brg approval you are good to go.
Thank you, I checked the approval email and the only part it mentioned about the rate I book it as follows, is that sufficient?
I have modified your reservation to reflect the following rate:

Rate: THB per night plus tax
Reservation Confirmation Number: xxxxx
Experiences Ultimate All Inclusive-Rate
Reason I ask is because someone called the hotel and the hotel say they won't honour the all-inclusive benefit as this was noted in the reservation after the best rate quarantee:
Look No Further claim approved. Breakfast included
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by glasszon
Thank you, I checked the approval email and the only part it mentioned about the rate I book it as follows, is that sufficient?

Reason I ask is because someone called the hotel and the hotel say they won't honour the all-inclusive benefit as this was noted in the reservation after the best rate quarantee:
I cannot speak for your particular situation but I BRG half board rates and while the rate details can only mention breakfast due to system limitations on the backend the meal plan is clear. I would reply to the BRG team and make sure they spell it out that the approval is for an all inclusive meal plan. If so then the property need to honor the BRG rate. Sounds like the hotel representative responding was some uninformed person..
​​​

​​​
GalaxyChris and glasszon like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I've just tried to do a BRG for a booking next May. I'd booked a flexible member standard rate, and price matched it to a similar flexible rate. I've had a reply saying that:
"The reservation you booked does not feature the lowest rate we offer for the location selected. I want to make sure that you have the lowest rate we offer, you have to agree to the rates terms and conditions. Rate: 413.00 Euro room total before taxes and fees. This rate is a prepay in full non-refundable if cancelled less than seven days before arrival "

​​​​​​And then saying that the lowest rate on the other site was higher than that. I thought that they should compare flexible to flexible, if that is what I've booked. Is that not the case?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by omk298
I've just tried to do a BRG for a booking next May. I'd booked a flexible member standard rate, and price matched it to a similar flexible rate. I've had a reply saying that:
"The reservation you booked does not feature the lowest rate we offer for the location selected. I want to make sure that you have the lowest rate we offer, you have to agree to the rates terms and conditions. Rate: 413.00 Euro room total before taxes and fees. This rate is a prepay in full non-refundable if cancelled less than seven days before arrival "

​​​​​​And then saying that the lowest rate on the other site was higher than that. I thought that they should compare flexible to flexible, if that is what I've booked. Is that not the case?
Sounds to be an uneducated / uninformed BRG agent ... I would just resubmit and get another agent that is faster than educate this individual on their own practice
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana Diamond, TK Elite

The agent is correct, as Marriott is still comparing two flexible rates, because the rate the agent is mentioning is still cancellable until 7 days before your arrival and you get a full refund.
X-ON and NowBoarding2020 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by DaveMidknight
The agent is correct, as Marriott is still comparing two flexible rates, because the rate the agent is mentioning is still cancellable until 7 days before your arrival and you get a full refund.
Good spot. I think the agent has got it wrong though - the pre-paid rate is non-refundable, but can be changed up to 7 days prior to check in. The property is The Laylow, Honolulu - I can't see any rates that are refundable up to 7 days out. I'll challenge the refusal.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:28 am

Good spot. I think the agent has got it wrong though - the pre-paid rate is non-refundable, but can be changed up to 7 days prior to check in. The property is The Laylow, Honolulu - I can't see any rates that are refundable up to 7 days out. I'll challenge the refusal.
I see, so the key word here is non-refundable, that you can change date of the reservation but not cancel it makes it non-refundable or if you like changeable does not make it refundable ,,, Let us know how it went
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Recently ran into a scenario where I found a lower rate for a property on Travelocity App ($300 vs $357 Marriott) both fully refundable, but by the time they came to verify (earlier than 6 am PST) it it was no longer showing. But then an hour or two after the rejection it was available again. So I put in another bid, again also rejected. Third time I woke up extra early the next day and put in bid. This time the timing worked out and the claim was successful. Anyone else seen these transient rates on the apps or websites and been successful?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Recently ran into a scenario where I found a lower rate for a property on Travelocity App ($300 vs $357 Marriott) both fully refundable, but by the time they came to verify (earlier than 6 am PST) it it was no longer showing. But then an hour or two after the rejection it was available again. So I put in another bid, again also rejected. Third time I woke up extra early the next day and put in bid. This time the timing worked out and the claim was successful. Anyone else seen these transient rates on the apps or websites and been successful?
what is often faster than re-submitting is replying to the denial pointing out it is 'still' available. Definitely seen fluctuating prices.
donotblink likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AS, HHonors
Received the following reply after submitting a claim for a rate found on traveluro. I guess this site doesn’t work for BRG

Marriott reserves the right to deny a claim, if it cannot independently verify the availability of a Comparison Rate at the time it processes the claim. After extensive testing, we have found that we do not consistently receive reservation requests from this site and therefore we are unable to approve your claim.

Our terms state:

“…sites that do not pass reservations to the Marriott Central Reservation System (CRS) for confirmation are not eligible…”
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Sea Trips
Received the following reply after submitting a claim for a rate found on traveluro. I guess this site doesn’t work for BRG

Marriott reserves the right to deny a claim, if it cannot independently verify the availability of a Comparison Rate at the time it processes the claim. After extensive testing, we have found that we do not consistently receive reservation requests from this site and therefore we are unable to approve your claim.

Our terms state:

“…sites that do not pass reservations to the Marriott Central Reservation System (CRS) for confirmation are not eligible…”
Wow… how do they go about checking that? Do they actually complete reservations on OTAs when processing BRG claims?… I find that really hard to believe. I always thought they went all the way until the final step in the process where CC details have to be entered and stopped there.

Most OTAs don’t book directly with Marriott’s CRS but rather through third-party intermediaries and wholesalers. I wonder if Marriott is actually able to see the original website where a reservation originated from when it is coming to them from some obscure wholesaler.

This makes it abundantly clear that the BRG program is nothing more than a way to prevent rate leakage and a tool to enforce its rate parity policy across its distribution network.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Aug 19, 2022 at 4:31 pm
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, LH SEN
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Wow… how do they go about checking that? Do they actually complete reservations on OTAs when processing BRG claims?… I find that really hard to believe. I always thought they went all the way until the final step in the process where CC details have to be entered and stopped there.

Most OTAs don’t book directly with Marriott’s CRS but rather through third-party intermediaries and wholesalers. I wonder if Marriott is actually able to see the original website where a reservation originated from when it is coming to them from some obscure wholesaler.

This makes it abundantly clear that the BRG program is nothing more than a way to prevent rate leakage and a tool to enforce its rate parity policy across its distribution network.
I think somebody at Marriott recently checked all OTAs on how they are operating and now many are excluded from the BRG.
I have had BRGs from three different websites (some of which I had been using successfully four weeks ago!) denied last week with the claim from above “…sites that do not pass reservations to the Marriott Central Reservation System (CRS) for confirmation are not eligible…”.
3/3 times by the time the BRG was denied the competing rate by the OTA was gone...
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Has anyone gotten approved over such a small difference of $3-5? The terms say that it won't apply for small amounts of $1 or less due to potential currency movements but I would think that would apply to $3-5 too?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by RK23
Has anyone gotten approved over such a small difference of $3-5? The terms say that it won't apply for small amounts of $1 or less due to potential currency movements but I would think that would apply to $3-5 too?
I've had claims approved with a $2 - $3 difference. They will use xe.com to compare currencies. Best if you can choose hotel currency on the comparison website (if possible).
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Sea Trips

Our terms state:

This reason is legit. Here's the backstory...

Years ago there were "fake" hotel booking websites with the sole purpose of showing lower rates among all the major chains ensuring that BRG claims were successful. The "fake" websites looked real (they copied and pasted the same hotel/room photos from Travelocity and hotels.com). Back then when Marriott approved a BRG it would simply modify the rate and the Marriott property would only be aware of the rate change when the guest checked in. Where as now, Marriott contacts the property Room Manager, provides them with the competing website name, URL and screenshots.

The way this was all discovered is another story.... This is the reason when I started the original BRG thread, NOT to post the competing website. But like I said that's another story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.