Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Price increase after reservation due to Montreal Grand Prix

Price increase after reservation due to Montreal Grand Prix

Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:54 am

Marriott hotel not honouring points reservation

Sorry for the long winded post....

Wondering if anyone has experienced something like this with a Marriott branded property. I reached out to Marriott via their website a couple days ago but have yet to get a response. Is the hotel allowed to do something like this? Should this be covered under the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee?

I have a points reservation (points already deducted) for a 5-night stay at the Fairfield by Marriott Montreal Downtown in June during the Canadian Grand Prix. Back in November I received an email from the director of sales at the hotel noting that the dates of the Grand Prix have changed (my dates didn’t), and in order to keep the reservation, I would have to agree to a rate of $399 per night, paid in full, with no refund after March 31st. I ignored the email because I have a points reservation so assumed it didn’t apply to me.

I received a follow up email on December 6th, noting that if I don’t agree to the new terms and pay by December 25th, my reservation would be cancelled. I was bcc’d on these emails so I expect I’m not the only one receiving them.

This time I replied asking why they are contacting me when I already have a pre-paid points reservation with the terms set out on the Marriott.com website. This is the conversation from there:

Them:

“If you have any follow up questions please contact the hotel directly using my extension <REMOVED>. Kind regards”

Me:

“I don't have any follow up questions. If you do, feel free to contact me again via this email address.”

Them:

“Thank you for your email, I was replying to you because there seems to be a bit of a confusion, however as stated on the memo from our management and ownership groups if we do not receive any correspondence by December 25th, we will proceed to cancel reservations.”
wrp96, reggiekush, ewoo and 1 others like this.

Last edited by lukin; Dec 9, 2021 at 8:00 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:10 am

I think that's extremely sleazy on the hotel's part, but it would be equally sleazy if you booked a $199 room and they wanted it changed to a prepaid $399....I'm not sure the fact that it involves points makes it any different or better or worse, or affects your rights in any way.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I don't know if the hotel is allowed to do this, but you may be able to find an accomodation that benefits everyone. Are your dates flexible? If you can move your stay to another time, you might offer to cancel your reservation and move it in exchange for a special price (in points or dollars). If their possible rates for the Grand Prix are high enough, they might even give you five nights free, or maybe five nights for the price of three.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:18 am

I think there is just some confusion with the communication I would first contact Marriott loyalty program and confirm there is a certificate attached to your reservation and then contact the hotel by phone directly and confirm your reservation is confirmed and prepaid with a points certificate.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by EricH
I don't know if the hotel is allowed to do this, but you may be able to find an accomodation that benefits everyone. Are your dates flexible? If you can move your stay to another time, you might offer to cancel your reservation and move it in exchange for a special price (in points or dollars). If their possible rates for the Grand Prix are high enough, they might even give you five nights free, or maybe five nights for the price of three.
Fishing for free stays like this is poor form imo, if the property wants to offer this they should go ahead, but countering with the offer of "I'll cancel my stay if you give me a free stay some other time" seems like you don't really want to stay the dates you have booked and doesn't necessarily help the situation.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Tell the hotel you will be filing a complaint with Office de la protection du consommateur

https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consum...erchant/steps/
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by lukin
Them:

“Thank you for your email, I was replying to you because there seems to be a bit of a confusion, however as stated on the memo from our management and ownership groups if we do not receive any correspondence by December 25th, we will proceed to cancel reservations.”
Well, strictly speaking they did receive correspondence, it just didn't say what they wanted it to say .

The dates of the GP being changed does shed a different light on things, but I still don't think they can just dump all of their existing reservations. Seriously, I think it's time to contact the Office de la protection du consommateur (to give Quebec's consumer protection office its official name): https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/contact/consumer/
strickerj and lukin like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
OP. This is illegal. Please contact the Lurkers on this forum and please file a consumer protection complaint. If I were licensed in Quebec, I would take your case for free. These scammers need to be stopped.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, imverge and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
yuggy is your reservation also at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott Montreal Downtown or a different property? If not, please name and shame the property where you have a reservation. Regardless of if/how this is eventually resolved, it is appropriate to call the property out on their attempted (and hopefully unsuccessful) strong arm tactics. Many people will want this information when considering where to stay in Montreal during their trips.

--Jon
marconess and anteater like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
OP. This is illegal. Please contact the Lurkers on this forum and please file a consumer protection complaint. If I were licensed in Quebec, I would take your case for free. These scammers need to be stopped.
Where are the Lurkers?
imverge and supatight80 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:16 am

Even if you manage to retain your reservation, be prepared to get walked. You may get some payback if you have status but I would not go in thinking I will be welcomed.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Well, strictly speaking they did receive correspondence, it just didn't say what they wanted it to say .

The dates of the GP being changed does shed a different light on things, but I still don't think they can just dump all of their existing reservations. Seriously, I think it's time to contact the Office de la protection du consommateur (to give Quebec's consumer protection office its official name): https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/contact/consumer/
Date of the grand prix changing changes nothing. Or do you think they'll be giving the people with prepaid reservations for the original dates refunds because prices now SHOULD be cheaper? OP made a reservation and the property is trying to change it after the fact. If they want OP out of the room they should offer them money to move their stay, they can't just cancel because they want to be greedy.
trooper, yuggy and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Date of the grand prix changing changes nothing. Or do you think they'll be giving the people with prepaid reservations for the original dates refunds because prices now SHOULD be cheaper? OP made a reservation and the property is trying to change it after the fact. If they want OP out of the room they should offer them money to move their stay, they can't just cancel because they want to be greedy.
Oh, I completely agree that it changes nothing in terms of their reservation - especially the points stay. My meaning when I said it sheds a different light is that it isn't a case of somebody mistakenly pricing their rooms too cheaply for GP weekend, rather they changed the weekend on us so now we're scrambling to readjust our pricing. In terms of retaining the reservation it changes nothing.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Wow didn't know this kind of .... could happen in Canada. I'd fight it and also contact Marriott lurkers here as some have mentioned.
​​​​​​
Really? I thought it was on brand for Canada after reading how Air Canada broadly handled refunds in 2020.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
...and please file a consumer protection complaint.
Yes. This is what you need to do.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 9, 2021 at 2:15 am Reason: Remove unnecessary, personal comment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.