Search

Upgrading to executive lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Upgrading to executive lounge

Hi there,

I'm looking to book a birthday trip for my daughter. She's only six, but she wants to stay in a posh hotel. It's something I do for my kids, and in the past I took my son to Poland to stay in the Sheraton in Poznan, and upgraded the hotel room so we had lounge access, and he liked being able to help himself to the soft drinks in the fridge. That time for whatever reason I booked through Expedia and then paid the hotel for the upgrade.

Basically, they're not incredibly fussed by the destination, more that they like a flight (which can be as no-frills as you like) and a posh hotel room. As part of the experience they learn the sort of good conduct that's required in such circumstances, they're brilliant travellers.

I've got a bunch of Amex MR points and a handful of Bonvoy points, and I know that some Marriott/Sheraton properties have an executive lounge. However, I've also noticed that I can't book upgraded rooms on points, which is fair enough.

Do you think, if I were to book a standard redemption on points, I'd be able to contact the hotel and ask for an upgrade? I'd be happy to pay cash for it.

(I'm trying to find a destination now that isn't too expensive that can be reached easily from the North of England. There's flights from Doncaster to Poland and Romania that might work, but the times aren't ideal. Any suggestions of properties with a pool and a lounge in Eastern Europe would be welcomed...)
WasKnown likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
This is one of those "it depends" kind of situations. Each hotel is autonomous and has their own individual policies.

What you can do is book a hotel you want with your points. However, before booking, make sure the points are refundable if you change your mind. If you are booking with Marriott Bonvoy points, most stays are refundable and you will get your points back (be sure to read the terms before booking). However, if you are using 3rd party points (ie: Amex), be sure to check to policy.

Once booked, call the hotel and inquire about a paid upgrade. Of course, be very polite and talk about how excited you are about your upcoming stay. Worse come to worse, they will say no. And you are no longer interested in the hotel, you can always cancel and book elsewhere.

The hotel may be more willing to offer an upgrade the close to your stay because there is a greater chance that those unsold rooms will not be booked and be empty otherwise.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If you're serious about an upgrade, contact the Front Office Manager or the Director of Rooms.

What I've done is reviewed the difference in room rates, and then made a reasonable offer by email. I mentioned my status, but made it clear that I was willing to pay. Sometimes, my offer was countered. In all cases, I was able to secure an upgrade, either to a suite at Marriott or similar hotels or a Club Level room at a Ritz-Carllton.
SanDiego1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
If you're serious about an upgrade, contact the Front Office Manager or the Director of Rooms.

What I've done is reviewed the difference in room rates, and then made a reasonable offer by email. I mentioned my status, but made it clear that I was willing to pay. Sometimes, my offer was countered. In all cases, I was able to secure an upgrade, either to a suite at Marriott or similar hotels or a Club Level room at a Ritz-Carllton.
+1. This is what I do at hotels where I don't have status or upgrade instruments. I send an email saying "Hi, I noticed that a ___ suite is available for an additional $50/night over the current rate for the standard room that i booked on points. Would it be possible to pay an upgrade fee to get into that suite?" Pretty much always works (or at least elicits a counter offer), and on a rare occasion they end up comping the upgrade just because.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Whilst it will be freezing cold right now, from the spring onwards, I'd recommend the Marriott Budapest.

One of the best lounges in Europe in my view & well the view itself is spectacular.

Pretty sure they sell lounge access

[email protected]
SPN Lifer and reggiekush like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1. This is what I do at hotels where I don't have status or upgrade instruments. I send an email saying "Hi, I noticed that a ___ suite is available for an additional $50/night over the current rate for the standard room that i booked on points. Would it be possible to pay an upgrade fee to get into that suite?" Pretty much always works (or at least elicits a counter offer), and on a rare occasion they end up comping the upgrade just because.
I've just done that at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury, although I'm Platinum with IHG its a stay on points so not upgrade eligible. They've given me money off the upgrade which was nice. I don't have status with Bonvoy, so it'll be cash offer or nothing, I suppose.

Originally Posted by Wickersley
Whilst it will be freezing cold right now, from the spring onwards, I'd recommend the Marriott Budapest.

One of the best lounges in Europe in my view & well the view itself is spectacular.

[email protected]
Thanks for this. I haven't actually managed to get to Budapest, yet, so that'd be a great trip for both of us.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
Thanks for this. I haven't actually managed to get to Budapest, yet, so that'd be a great trip for both of us.
Jet2 & Ryanair both offer direct flights from MAN
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Jet2 & Ryanair both offer direct flights from MAN
Thanks for this. Now I have this info I can go off and have a look at timings, see if that suits.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, LT Marriott Plat

[email protected]
That lounge is not there anymore in the Marriott Budapest. Mooved to ground floor.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:00 am
Original Poster

I've suggested these various options to my daughter and she's most keen to go to Poland.

Doing further research, cash rates are really quite reasonable at the moment at the Sheraton in Sopot, and I can get flights with dates that work (although the arrival times aren't great) from Doncaster, but if I'm going to drive to the airport I've got a wider choice available!

I've often fancied the look of Sopot anyway, and I believe that Sheraton has an executive floor with lounge access, which I'll be paying cash for and keeping the points for my own purposes another time.

Does anyone know this property?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2

I've often fancied the look of Sopot anyway, and I believe that Sheraton has an executive floor with lounge access, which I'll be paying cash for and keeping the points for my own purposes another time.

Does anyone know this property?
You might want to check out the Sheraton Sopot thread.

Sheraton Sopot (Gdansk) Poland [Master Thread]
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
You might want to check out the Sheraton Sopot thread.

Sheraton Sopot (Gdansk) Poland [Master Thread]
Thanks, I will.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:53 pm

I travel frequently with my wife and two daughters. We book two rooms and only one has lounge access. I have always been able to get lounge access for my daughters' room as well. Sometimes they give it to me complimentary, but usually I pay extra. It is not a set policy. Some hotels have a print-out of how much it will cost and other times when I have contacted the hotel directly, I've gotten email responses with two different rates from two different managers(!) Sometimes I wonder if the money just goes into the manager's pocket. If you want to be sure to get the access, I'd recommend emailing or calling the hotel. It has always worked for me. Just make sure the lounge is open!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.