Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Has anyone else had success with the front desk removing part of the resort fee with the wifi being mentioned as part of the resort fee with platinum status?

checked in and front desk associate looked at me like I had two heads and then said, “well you get enhanced wifi”. I tried to reminder her that is part of my benefits not part of my resort fee but she wasn’t budging.
I recall that Marriott properties are supposed to offer a replacement benefit to Elite members if WiFi is included as a part of the resort fee. In my experience, this is usually couple vouchers for a drink at the bar.

I've never had success getting a hotel to remove a resort fee as a result of Elite status – only as a result of negotiating rates for business stays.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
I recall that Marriott properties are supposed to offer a replacement benefit to Elite members if WiFi is included as a part of the resort fee. In my experience, this is usually couple vouchers for a drink at the bar.

I've never had success getting a hotel to remove a resort fee as a result of Elite status – only as a result of negotiating rates for business stays.

Worst I've seen was at a stay last week at the Hotel Republic in San Diego. The drink vouchers were only valid 4-5pm. On top of this, the "destination fee" required was for $25 in the restaurant which is only open a handful of hours daily.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Has anyone else had success with the front desk removing part of the resort fee with the wifi being mentioned as part of the resort fee with platinum status? checked in and front desk associate looked at me like I had two heads and then said, “well you get enhanced wifi”. I tried to reminder her that is part of my benefits not part of my resort fee but she wasn’t budging.
Here ya go. Good luck with the "replacement benefit." The bonvOY loophole is big enough to drive a truck through.

bonvOY T&C 1.3 c ii.
Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If the property has a "resort fee" or "destination fee", . . .

You've been Bonvyed!
Old Apr 15, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Looks like Marriott is still not in full compliance on resort fees at least in PA, per Gary Leff.

Marriott Fined $225,000, Has One Month To Get Its Act Together Over Deceptive Resort Fees

https://viewfromthewing.com/marriott-fined-225000-has-one-month-to-get-its-act-together-over-deceptive-resort-fees/

Here is the news article.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...-pennsylvania/
SPN Lifer, Tanic, Viks and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Looks like Marriott is still not in full compliance on resort fees at least in PA, per Gary Leff.

Marriott Fined $225,000, Has One Month To Get Its Act Together Over Deceptive Resort Fees

https://viewfromthewing.com/marriott-fined-225000-has-one-month-to-get-its-act-together-over-deceptive-resort-fees/

Here is the news article.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...-pennsylvania/
I read in another article that the property in question did not want to comply and that Marriott International has a hard time controlling what their franchises do. I can't find it now.
Tanic likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boomerfss
I read in another article that the property in question did not want to comply and that Marriott International has a hard time controlling what their franchises do.
Marriott lets its franchisees get away with all kinds of nonsense. It's not a matter of "can't" control it's a matter of being unwilling to police their conduct. It's particularly inexcusable when the issue is rates that are published via the Marriott website and app.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by margarita girl

$225k is chump change to Marriott. To them it is the cost of doing business for levying opaque junk fees on guests.

Contact your US Congressman and Senator to support the "Junk Fee Prevention Act" which are parallel bills in both the House and Senate.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:02 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by boomerfss
I read in another article that the property in question did not want to comply and that Marriott International has a hard time controlling what their franchises do. I can't find it now.
They can kick them out if they are costing them money and violating terms. The first clause is the important one here
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:21 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Bumping the thread... has anyone noticed a "new" layout where they took away the Taxes and Fees button from the property selection page? Now when you're searching you have to select the specific property to see all in cost. This is garbage since you need to sort through multiple properties to see what the real cost is and whether there's a resort/destination fee attached.

Even IHG shows the total cost on the property search page. Hopefully Marriott goes back to this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Bumping the thread... has anyone noticed a "new" layout where they took away the Taxes and Fees button from the property selection page?
I continue to see all-in pricing on the app. Nothing has changed.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.