Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:50 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The 2 Westins in San Diego used to list their base rate at $200 ish and after fees and taxes would be $250 - 275 per night. Now they're all in prices are $225 at the gas lamp and $202 at the downtown location.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Does it include valet when valet is REQUIRED?
I am seeing more properties offering AAA parking rates or parking packages (San Diego) Might be their way of getting higher rate by bundling parking into the rate. Which I am fine with since bundling it gets you points for parking while unbundling will usually exclude the points for parking.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:14 pm

I wonder if this is related to some settlement of Washington, DC vs. Marriott: Microsoft Word - Marriott Complaint FINAL (dc.gov).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lamphs
I wonder if this is related to some settlement of Washington, DC vs. Marriott: Microsoft Word - Marriott Complaint FINAL (dc.gov).
Absolutely it is!
Tanic and volabam like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Absolutely it is!
It's going to suck for the owners but I'm loving it! Its been how many years since airlines were forced to show all in pricing? Way overdue for hotels.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
That's great news. The argument that hiding taxes and fees (especially "resort fees," which now apply to every tertiary suburban hotel) is anything other than an effort to mislead consumers doesn't pass the laugh test.

I recall some whining, maybe from the airlines, about how it was important to advertise fares without taxes included because that way passengers would be able to see/appreciate how much the government was taxing travelers. To which the obvious answer was: If you want to drive home how much the taxes and government fees are, highlight that in big, bold type just like Spirit does when it displays, bitterly, the "Government's Cut."

If someone has a strong argument for why vendors, especially in travel, should be permitted to market a price that is below what a consumer must pay to get the product, I'd love to hear it. Especially when the advertised price excludes fees imposed by the vendor that are retained by the vendor. Until then, this new Marriott pricing display sounds like a great change.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Welcome to the civilised world.

I just pulled up a rate for a hotel in the UK, and with the "Show rates with taxes and all fees" box checked it displayed a price with a "Taxes and all fees included" footnote. When I unchecked the box, it displayed the same price, but removed the "Taxes and all fees included" footnote. Seems like UK consumer law is overriding Marriott's desire to display the ex-VAT price.
In the UK the the price displayed has to be the total price, non of this US silliness in displaying something for $20 only then realising when you go to pay at the counter that you need to add on VAT and therefore don't have enough money on you!
ezefllying likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
FYI, article about settlement agreement with the Pennsylvania attorney general's office over the disclosure of resort fees:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...agreement.html
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I may be in the minority, but I do also like being able to see what the cost is without the taxes and fees. It helps me determine whether something is a good points redemption or not - especially with resort properties where I am still going to have to pay some sort of resort fee, no matter how much I dislike it.

I have enjoyed being able to toggle. Can I still do that with the new system?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Good news!
Other hotel chains already doing this for years.

Its great to be able to see what the final price is rather than to see a price then slugged with higher price at the property due to "resort fees"
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I may be in the minority, but I do also like being able to see what the cost is without the taxes and fees. It helps me determine whether something is a good points redemption or not - especially with resort properties where I am still going to have to pay some sort of resort fee, no matter how much I dislike it.

I'm still seeing the toggle button on the app. Perhaps they just haven't gotten around to updating it yet. I don't mind the all-in pricing being the default but I agree that we should still be able to see room only pricing.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It will be interesting to see where things go with resort/destination scam fees (by whatever name it goes) when it comes to award nights. As and when properties can no longer use this scam fee approach to try to bait consumers on regular cash rate bookings, will they eventually end up stopping the use of these scam fees to also bait those searching to redeem award night space?

The iOS app was updated 4 days ago, and it still retains the toggle option — under the filter selection — about whether to include or exclude all taxes and fees.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 20, 2021 at 10:09 am
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It will be interesting to see where things go with resort/destination scam fees (by whatever name it goes) when it comes to award nights.
Gotta avoid scam fees!

David
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Bonvoy agrees to display resort fees in prices after lawsuit from PA AG

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ag/8691311002/
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I may be in the minority, but I do also like being able to see what the cost is without the taxes and fees. It helps me determine whether something is a good points redemption or not - especially with resort properties where I am still going to have to pay some sort of “resort fee”, no matter how much I dislike it.

Longer term, I'd think this change will cause hotels to get rid of resort fees since there wouldn’t be much incentive to have them.

It will be interesting to see how this change is handled for OTAs, as they're not bound by this settlement. You'd think Marriott would want to make OTAs include resort fees in the rate so that people aren't confused into not booking direct because they think the OTA rate is lower.

Last edited by rucksack; Nov 21, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.