Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Incorrectly charged cancellation fee at The Bank Hotel Istanbul

Incorrectly charged cancellation fee at The Bank Hotel Istanbul

Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by konka40
My dealings with the hotel have been nothing short of abrupt. They just stopped responding when I asked them to provide detail on the cancellation policy.
what is the cancellation policy on the confirmation email? And did you book the day before as speculated?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:56 pm

My dealings with the hotel have been nothing short of abrupt. They just stopped responding when I asked them to provide detail on the cancellation policy.
Either message the lurker, or contact Marriott on twitter/facebook. They're much more responsive and empowered than the phone reps.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
what is the cancellation policy on the confirmation email? And did you book the day before as speculated?
Cancellation policy was as per the standard

"Changes to your reservation are not permitted. Please note that you may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on Day after booking. After this time, please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable."

Yes, I booked the day before the stay. Had the cancellation policy noted that it did not apply if booked day before stay, then I would not have cancelled. It did not and thus I did.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Either message the lurker, or contact Marriott on twitter/facebook. They're much more responsive and empowered than the phone reps.
What do you mean by message the lurker?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:47 pm

This *should* be pretty clearly on the hotel. The fact that *other* rates that OP didn't book show a different specific cancellation time (which happens to be before the booking time, poor communication of its own. Other hotel sites note that that date has passed and your booking will be nonrefundable) doesn't change the fact that the only wording on the rate the OP *did* book clearly shows midnight the day after booking.

If working through the hotel or Marriott fails, contacting the credit card company for a chargeback should certainly be the next step.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The booking system hasn't been smart enough to tell you that, because you're booking the day before, you're already beyond the cancellation deadline and the "cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time tomorrow" doesn't apply.
There is a case that the website is misleading, but getting this refunded may be challenging, since it's pretty standard that prepay bookings made the day before are not cancellable right up to midnight on the day of arrival.
I've remember being caught by this in the early days of Bonvoy. I know it now, but it took a while for me to get my head around the idea that the website was telling me one thing but that Marriott actually meant something else...
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
How many days was your reservation? Isn’t the cancellation penalty usually just for the first night?
That's not been my experience. It would have saved me a good chunk of change if it were. I seem to remember even losing a battle of a 4-day cancellation penalty because I arrived a day late.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Do you have the email confirmation? Should have the cancel terms you can use for a chargeback or to push the property. My confirmations all contain them.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
What do you mean by message the lurker?
there are marriott representatives here on the forum known as the lurkers....

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...oy-lurker.html

they have been extremely helpful with resolving issues for flyertalkers in the past so it can't hurt to reach out to one of them....
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Spoke to the rep at the Marriott hotline, no charge backs. All they can do is email the hotel to request the refund.
Originally Posted by jmastron
If working through the hotel or Marriott fails, contacting the credit card company for a chargeback should certainly be the next step.
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Do you have the email confirmation? Should have the cancel terms you can use for a chargeback or to push the property. My confirmations all contain them.
"Chargeback" refers to disputing the credit card charge (within 60 days of the statement date) with the bank that issued your credit card.

In your documentation of your attempts to resolve the issue with the merchant (hotel), be sure to include a copy of the terms (even if printed after the fact) or confirmation e-mail if it contains the terms.

Good luck!
konka40 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:48 am
Original Poster

I sent the hotel my confirmation email for the booking, which states the till 11:59pm the next day cancellation policy. The Bank Hotel Istanbul responded:

"Regarding your email, we’ve also received a case from Marriott and also explained them that cancellation policy.I’ve also contacted with my managers and director to check once again.

As I’ve already mentioned to you, 24 hours cancellations are not available on check in dates... However, if you cancel your reservation on your check in date, full amount of cancellation fee reflects due to non-refundable policy."

Not sure why she says I've cancelled the day of check in. I have both the confirmation and cancellation email that are dated on the same day (both are one day before stay)
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:26 am

I sent the hotel my confirmation email for the booking, which states the till 11:59pm the next day cancellation policy. The Bank Hotel Istanbul responded:

"Regarding your email, we’ve also received a case from Marriott and also explained them that cancellation policy.I’ve also contacted with my managers and director to check once again.

As I’ve already mentioned to you, 24 hours cancellations are not available on check in dates... However, if you cancel your reservation on your check in date, full amount of cancellation fee reflects due to non-refundable policy."

Not sure why she says I've cancelled the day of check in. I have both the confirmation and cancellation email that are dated on the same day (both are one day before stay)
Send in the email confirmation cancellation policy (not the current one you can see online) for a chargeback.

cancelled day of checkin language from their reply, are you in Istanbul right now? Is same day cancellation in the same time zone? Regardless, if the cancellation policy is as above, it’s Marriott’s problem to not show those rate terms if within 24 hours.
konka40 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
Regardless, if the cancellation policy is as above, it’s Marriott’s problem to not show those rate terms if within 24 hours.
It's actually the guest's ultimate problem outside the US, as many learned when they lost their deposits to Greek properties during the pandemic.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's actually the guest's ultimate problem outside the US, as many learned when they lost their deposits to Greek properties during the pandemic.
losing deposits to Greek properties during the pandemic is not because of cancellation policy. They just don’t want to pay back even if it was clearly within cancellation policy (exceptions apply). This case is based on the close-in reservation cancellation policy. Either way, Marriott doesn’t seem to take responsibility to state one way or the other.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:14 am
Original Poster

The Bank Hotel are now arguing that I cancelled on the date of the check in and not the day before (booking date). I've had to send in the cancellation email back to The Bank Hotel for them to check that the cancellation was in fact the day of booking and not day of check in.

Regardless the cancellation policy is the same I have until 11:59 the next day (booking day) to cancel without a fee.

This may just have to be a chargeback issue I take up with the credit card company. I have the confirmation email that is clear on the cancellation cut off date. I am not hopeful that The Bank Hotel will honor their own cancellation policy in the confirmation email
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by konka40; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:15 am Reason: incorrect

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.