Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

26 Oct '21 Announcement : Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Extension & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott Bonvoy Announcement :

As travel evolves, we’re here to offer you more flexibility and options, including:

Your 2019 earned status, which we already renewed through February 2022, or your 2020 status, will be extended through February 2023. You’ll continue to receive your Elite benefits when you travel again.

Extending Suite Night Awards and Free Night Awards Through June 2022
We’re extending eligible Suite Night Awards and eligible Free Night Awards through June 30, 2022. Certain hotels have resort fees. Terms Apply. Plus, coming in early 2022, if you have a Free Night Award certificate, you can combine it with up to 15,000 points from your account (or that you’ve purchased) to access even more hotel and resort stay options.

Pausing Points Expiration Through December 2022
We're pausing the expiration of points through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

More Redemption Flexibility
In March 2022, we’ll introduce new flexible point redemption rates that move more closely in line with hotel rates, giving you additional options. Hotels and resorts will still have a minimum and maximum number of points for redemption rates that will more closely align to how they’re categorized today.

Our current redemption process with hotel categories will remain in place through February 2022. After that, you won’t see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Peak, or Standard.
You can look forward to these updates in your account by December. Read more about all the program updates and even more ways to unlock everything Marriott Bonvoy has to offer: marriottbonvoy.com/Status22.

FAQ

What are Flexible Point Redemption Rates and Free Night Award Top Off? (marriott.com)

Print Wikipost

26 Oct '21 Announcement : Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Extension & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What happens to the pay for four nights, get the fifth one free benefit when using Marriott Bonvoy points...does that stick around with dynamic pricing? is it wise to use this perk now before the devaluation?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What happens to the pay for four nights, get the fifth one free benefit when using Marriott Bonvoy points...does that stick around with dynamic pricing? is it wise to use this perk now before the devaluation?
Probably sticks around (it also stuck around with Hilton), and you'll just get the "cheapest" night free most likely.
SPN Lifer and Statman like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Normally you should be able to book out ~11 months, but we've seen some thing 'change' early for other hotels when approaching what used to be the category change deadlines every year. So you may be good trying to snag something for Dec or Jan at the current rates when we get to Feb, but just don't count on it.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Looks to me like a lot of availability now 11.5 months out has been pulled. Only basic rooms available at properties I’m looking at. It’s like an extra pre devaluation.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Probably sticks around (it also stuck around with Hilton), and you'll just get the "cheapest" night free most likely.
It is already the cheapest night for probably 2 years already. That change happened after the SPG purchase finalized. Therefore this benefit does not give the guest any edge because it is always the cheapest night being free. In the Dynamic pricing it would only further add to Marriott's advantage,
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
replying to myself here. RC free night certs and club upgrades extended today.
pharmawalk likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:13 pm

Stupid question, everything booked prior to March 2022 should be locked in to the points paid prior to dynamic pricing ? i.g. Booking a stay in Dec 2022 during Jan 2022
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
I've stayed loyal to Marriott for that exact reason: to enjoy the benefits I've earned and to maximize free nights earned. But that's becoming less and less compelling. Noteworthy upgrades are rarely given, even when SNAs are used. I've had properties deny the "guaranteed" late check-out benefit at non-resort/non-convention hotels. The breakfast benefit is inconsistently delivered, and even when it is delivered, it's frequently unappetizing. Marriott allows hotels to pack in resort and resort destination fees, even on award stays. And now, the best value for points redemptions – aspirational properties and stays during peak events – are being diminished.

I'm going to burn my Marriott points as quickly as possible and switch to a combination of Hyatt and boutique hotels.
I burned about 600k worth of Marriott points after the announcement largely due to the same reasons that you've articulated. My upcoming trips for 2022 will be mostly in Asia and the cash rates offered there at Marriott properties are pretty reasonable.

Sick and tired of getting Bonvoyed.
rucksack likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
All my free night certs (and club level upgrades) extended to 6/30/2022.
BAK likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
My SNA expiration dates finally updated to 6/30/2022 also.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It's too bad our status expiration date does not appear on the membership card posted at the Bonv°y app, nor anywhere else in the app that I can find.

Not that it matters much to me, as I had already easily requalified as Titanium with the 38-night "head start" and 30 nights from a business and personal U.S. credit card.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Nov 10, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
All my free night certs (and club level upgrades) extended to 6/30/2022.
I still have certs expiring Jan 3 '22. But will wait a few weeks before calling.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I still have certs expiring Jan 3 '22. But will wait a few weeks before calling.
Give it a day or 2. The hamsters running the MAR computers are working hard!
UA-NYC, escapefromphl and illico like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Give it a day or 2. The hamsters running the MAR computers are working hard!
I think they fell asleep or something, or went on strike.🤨
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Sorry to be late to the party here. Folks are saying February -- is that because the booking window is 330 days and they are saying Jan 1, 23 all bets are off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.