Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple bookings on one stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Multiple bookings on one stay

Hi all, I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks to a St. Regis hotel. I originally booked early for 2 nights and got a good rate. I now need to extend it to 3 nights, but obviously the rate has increased, so if I extend, the new, higher rate will apply to all 3 nights, not just the last one.

Is there any issue with leaving my existing booking, and booking the same room category for one night at the higher rate? Is this something that hotels don't like, or is it a normal thing?

Also, on another booking I have, I booked for 5 nights, but now want to shorten it to 4 nights. So, for example, I booked 1st - 6th, I now want to change to 1st to 5th. Unfortunately the hotel is sold out at that time, so it shows as sold out, even though I would just be extending my existing booking. Is the only option here to roll the dice and cancel, hoping that the room will be available to rebook?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by jah718
Hi all, I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks to a St. Regis hotel. I originally booked early for 2 nights and got a good rate. I now need to extend it to 3 nights, but obviously the rate has increased, so if I extend, the new, higher rate will apply to all 3 nights, not just the last one.

Is there any issue with leaving my existing booking, and booking the same room category for one night at the higher rate? Is this something that hotels don't like, or is it a normal thing?
Not only have I had multiple bookings for a single stay, I've done it from 2 different accounts (using certs from both mine and MamaTwick's account). Never had a problem staying in the same room.

Originally Posted by jah718
Also, on another booking I have, I booked for 5 nights, but now want to shorten it to 4 nights. So, for example, I booked 1st - 6th, I now want to change to 1st to 5th. Unfortunately the hotel is sold out at that time, so it shows as sold out, even though I would just be extending my existing booking. Is the only option here to roll the dice and cancel, hoping that the room will be available to rebook?
I would not risk the cancellation. Contact the hotel and see if they can simply shorten your stay.
SPN Lifer and jah718 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:57 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
If you don’t get an upgrade, staying in the same room will be easy. If you get an upgrade, YMMV.
jah718 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Not only have I had multiple bookings for a single stay, I've done it from 2 different accounts (using certs from both mine and MamaTwick's account). Never had a problem staying in the same room.

I would not risk the cancellation. Contact the hotel and see if they can simply shorten your stay.
Great, thanks for the info, will go for this option then!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:54 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
It happens quite often, for the first scenario and I've also done it multiple times.
Best thing to do is book your extra night, then contact the hotel to inform them that you have another booking for the nights before and if they could "combine" them so that you can stay in the same room for the total stay. It's easy to do for them. Even though sometimes, they confirm it's done by email and when I check-in, nobody seems to know what happened.... but worse comes to worse, you just need to change to another room.

Shortening your stay is a different story, like others have said, better call them to ask. If it's not a flex rate, maybe they will be nice enough to get you a credit for a future stay. If it's prepaid, maybe if you ask very nicely, they will credit back one night....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.