Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

So What Is Happening To The Towneplace Suites Hotels Built In The 90's & Early 2000's

So What Is Happening To The Towneplace Suites Hotels Built In The 90's & Early 2000's

Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:13 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

I noticed a lot of the Towneplace Suites that were built in the 90's and early 2000's no longer carry the Marriott name in favor of something like Sonesta or Hawthorn (this includes the very first Towneplace Suites from Newsport News Virginia). What appears to be the reason?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Marriott updating their franchising fees and brand standard.
Eg. Room corridors must now be indoor/have controlled access for better security.
Rooms must be refreshed every X years.

Property owners probably thought reflagging was a better option due to physical limitations or budget.

Last edited by miloworld; Sep 9, 2021 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miloworld
Eg. Room corridors must now be indoor/have controlled access for better security.

Property owners probably thought reflagging was a better option due to physical limitations or budget.
All of them are interior corridor, so I don't understand why else Marriott would get away with it.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
https://www.frequentbusinesstraveler...ollar-default/
ewoo likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
The actual correct article is this one:

Marriott Loses 122 Properties in $11 Million Default on Payments | Frequent Business Traveler

What is interesting about this is that a lot of the properties involved were corporately managed. I only know this because one the RI locations that has since become a Sonesta ES is one that I worked at many, many years ago. When it was built Marriott had a 25 year management contract to run it. In all honesty, most of the properties were no big loss to the company as they were primarily 20-25+ year old places that look nothing like what is being built now and the few that I've seen or stayed at are very dated. Sonesta had been rebranding old Gen 1-3 RI locations to Sonesta ES properties for quite a few years prior to this. First one I can think of is the Sonesta ES in Somers Point NJ. That location got changed ??, 7-8 years ago. Same as one or two in the Harrisburg, PA area that went back to the original group that Marriott bought into in '87.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
The actual correct article is this one:

Marriott Loses 122 Properties in $11 Million Default on Payments | Frequent Business Traveler

What is interesting about this is that a lot of the properties involved were corporately managed. I only know this because one the RI locations that has since become a Sonesta ES is one that I worked at many, many years ago. When it was built Marriott had a 25 year management contract to run it. In all honesty, most of the properties were no big loss to the company as they were primarily 20-25+ year old places that look nothing like what is being built now and the few that I've seen or stayed at are very dated. Sonesta had been rebranding old Gen 1-3 RI locations to Sonesta ES properties for quite a few years prior to this. First one I can think of is the Sonesta ES in Somers Point NJ. That location got changed ??, 7-8 years ago. Same as one or two in the Harrisburg, PA area that went back to the original group that Marriott bought into in '87.
I knew Sonesta was behind it.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:15 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
I knew Sonesta was behind it.
I wonder if Abe (Sonny) and Esther would be proud of these new properties with their names on them
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I noticed a lot of the Towneplace Suites that were built in the 90's and early 2000's no longer carry the Marriott name in favor of something like Sonesta or Hawthorn (this includes the very first Towneplace Suites from Newsport News Virginia). What appears to be the reason?
The reason for the reflagging of some older Towneplace Suites properties is the same as for any other Marriott brand. The properties are franchises. They are not owned by Marriott. The owner wants to maximize profits.

When a franchise agreement is up for renewal, the owner can make a business decision to go with a different brand (or with no major brand at all). Perhaps an owner sees savings going with a brand with lower standards (lower costs) or lower fees (again lower costs). A different owner might make the business decision to continue with a Marriott brand, with the opportunity to achieve higher rates and higher occupancy.

In the case of properties owned by Service Properties Trust (SVC), with a 34% stake in Sonesta, it's a bit different. SVC used a legal maneuver to walk away from a bunch of IHG and Marriott contracts. SVC made the business decision to build up Sonesta's brands, including Sonesta Simply Suites and Sonesta ES Suites. It remains to be seen if the traveling public will embrace Sonesta's brands. Maybe, this will turn out to be a good business decision on the part of SVC. Or maybe not.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 17, 2021 at 8:08 pm
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
The reason for the reflagging of some older Towneplace Suites properties is the same as for any other Marriott brand. The properties are franchises. They are not owned by Marriott. The owner wants to maximize profits.

When a franchise agreement is up for renewal, the owner can make a business decision to go with a different brand (or with no major brand at all). Perhaps an owner sees savings going with a brand with lower standards (lower costs) or lower fees (again lower costs). A different owner might make the business decision to continue with a Marriott brand, with the opportunity to achieve higher rates and higher occupancy.

In the case of properties owned by Service Properties Trust (SVC), with a 34% stake in Sonesta, it's a bit different. SVC used a legal maneuver to walk away from a bunch of IHG and Marriott contracts. SVC made the business decision to build up Sonesta's brand's, including Sonesta Simply Suites and Sonesta ES Suites. It remains to be seen if the traveling public will embrace Sonesta's brands. Maybe, this will turn out to be a good business decision on the part of SVC. Or maybe not.
I mean, you do have a bit of a point.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I wonder if Abe (Sonny) and Esther would be proud of these new properties with their names on them
Why involve those guys?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Why involve those guys?
The name Sonesta is an amalgam of the names of founder Abraham M. (“Sonny”) Sonnabend (1896-1964) and his wife Esther Sonnabend.

“Sonny” started the hotel company in 1937. Over the years, he acquired and parted with famous higher-end hotels, including the Plaza in New York. The company called some of its higher-end hotels Sonesta or Royal Sonesta. The company became Sonesta International Hotels Corporation in 1970.

Today, Sonesta, like so many other hotel companies, has a portfolio of brands and hotels that run the gamut from lower-end to higher-end, especially after Service Properties Trust (SVC) rebranded a bunch of former IHG and Marriott properties to various Sonesta brands.

Out of my Element asked an intriguing question.

Would “Sonny” and Esther be proud of have their names on old Towneplace Suites properties?

Last edited by Horace; Dec 4, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP

Because of the indoor coordinator rule, does that mean the following hotels are at risk of being deflagged?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...suites-tucson/
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ts-pleasanton/
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...design-hotels/
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xero
Because of the indoor coordinator rule, does that mean the following hotels are at risk of being deflagged?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...suites-tucson/
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ts-pleasanton/
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...design-hotels/
Some may not notice.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xero
I'm not a franchisee so these are just speculation..
Marriott does benefit from a healthy portfolio, so it could be less strict in areas that are spread thin. I would imagine they make improvement "suggestions", if a property refuses to act upon them, they get the short stick, fines, not advancement in hotel category, lower placement on search, lower reimbursement on point redemptions etc.

indoor corridor probably isn't a definitive requirement. The Fairfield directly across the Disneyland resort esplanade is a Cat 5 and has outdoor corridors overlooking the park. Along with proximity to Disney, you could say it's a highlight of the hotel.

Last edited by miloworld; Jan 12, 2022 at 10:50 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm not a franchisee so these are just speculation..
Marriott does benefit from a healthy portfolio, so it could be less strict in areas that are spread thin. I would imagine they make improvement "suggestions", if a property refuses to act upon them, they get the short stick, fines, not advancement in hotel category, lower placement on search, lower reimbursement on point redemptions etc.

indoor corridor probably isn't a definitive requirement. The Fairfield directly across the Disneyland resort esplanade is a Cat 5 and has outdoor corridors overlooking the park. Along with proximity to Disney, you could say it's a highlight of the hotel.
You might be onto something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.