Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Hotel Cancellation Email?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Update... sort of: I received an email from the property today, from an @ marriott.com email address. Unfortunately it only addresses the extended closure of the property and the moving of reservations to other properties.

Hello,

I am emailing you as the TownePlace Suites/SpringHill Suites opening date has been pushed back to October 6th. You should have received an email from the hotel manager [name redacted] in regards to your reservation being relocated to a sister property. If you have not received this information or have yet to cancel your reservation please contact us at your earliest convenience. You can reach us via email at [redacted]@ marriott.com & [redacted]@ sheratontribeca.com

Best,[name redacted]
Dual Property Assistant Front Office Manager

[official looking email signature]
At least this time it was sent BCC. I replied saying I already canceled my reservation but expressed my displeasure about the last email and asked what actions would be taken. I also CC'ed [email protected] per writerguyfl's suggestion.

-J.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It sounds like the second email is at least attempting to handle the situation better. Construction delay....offer to relocate to a nearby property...seems reasonable. Too bad you didn't get this first instead of that hot mess from the gmail account.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:12 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by pinniped
It sounds like the second email is at least attempting to handle the situation better. Construction delay....offer to relocate to a nearby property...seems reasonable. Too bad you didn't get this first instead of that hot mess from the gmail account.
I agree. And the Sheraton TriBeca is back to being pretty good, we stayed there over the recent holiday and I posted my thoughts in that thread
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Big update... I received this email earlier today:

Hello Mr.McLintock,

Thank you for your immediate email. I truly apologize for including you in the following email regarding your relocation. My intention was solely to communicate an update of our upcoming property, seamlessly of-course. To CC versus BCC was something that should have been double checked, I surely agree. Mr.McLintock, I understand that our actions can not fix what was broken, but we can certainly try to repair.

May I ask what we can do to earn your trust again?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

[original guy]
I am satisfied with the apology -- I think he realizes he ....ed up. Should I be asking for points? I could honestly take it or leave it.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 14, 2021 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Big update... I received this email earlier today:

I am satisfied with the apology -- I think he realizes he ....ed up. Should I be asking for points? I could honestly take it or leave it.

-J.
I guess first question is were you able to rebook something you're happy with. If you weren't, then I'd take them up on their offer in the 2nd email to rebook at the Sheraton, presumably at the rate you originally booked.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I guess first question is were you able to rebook something you're happy with. If you weren't, then I'd take them up on their offer in the 2nd email to rebook at the Sheraton, presumably at the rate you originally booked.
I originally booked this for convenience, but I didn't really need to stay there. I have now decided to just stay home.

-J.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:44 pm

In that case, I'd just leave it. Now that it's been established that it wasn't a scammer, just a sloppy manager, hopefully the only real impact is that the person now knows how to use the Bcc: function in email.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:05 pm

I'd certainly be annoyed that my email address was provided to a bunch of strangers. Still, in terms of privacy breaches, it's a fairly minor one.

Personally, I'd be good with the apology. Sounds like this manager will never make this careless mistake again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I agree with pinniped and writerguyfl , and furthermore I would write back to compliment that manager on his open, honest communication in fessing up to a mistake. That is so refreshing in today's world that I would make sure he knows I appreciated it. All of us make mistakes; far too few own up to them.
SPN Lifer and GW McLintock like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... I wrote back to him and now consider the matter closed. This was followed up upon in under a week (including over a weekend) and I'm especially glad to see how quickly everyone acted on this. I am sure this will not be the last time this happens, but at least this time wasn't a terribly big deal.

-J.
Jon Maiman likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Glad to hear it is resolved and that it wasn't a scam. Also very nice to see someone own up to a mistake and try to make good on it.

--Jon
SPN Lifer and GW McLintock like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Somewhat ironically, I got an automated survey response email from the manager at a CY in New Mexico after staying there last weekend. In his signature he lists a Gmail address

-J.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:46 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We just got an email from this property (from g***.g****@marriott.com) letting us know our stay there in about 10 days time from now isn't going to happen as they still aren't open. They are offering to move us to the "The Fairfield Inn/ SpringHill Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square South" (their terminology) at the same rate. That property is not as convenient for our needs, but alternatives are all about 40% more expensive than we paid the TownPlace, including this option so we are going to take it
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We just got an email from this property (from g***.g*** @marriott.com) letting us know our stay there in about 10 days time from now isn't going to happen as they still aren't open. They are offering to move us to the "The Fairfield Inn/ SpringHill Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square South" (their terminology) at the same rate. That property is not as convenient for our needs, but alternatives are all about 40% more expensive than we paid the TownPlace, including this option so we are going to take it
If that is who I think it is, she is the front office manager. She is the second person (first from an @ marriott.com email address) that emailed me from the property.

I think in this case the Fairfield/SpringHill are connected to each other (if this is the property I'm thinking of) and the SpringHill side was closed over the summer.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.