Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Easiest and cheapest way to get 15 elite qualifying nights

Old Sep 2, 21, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM

Wife is 1 year away from lifetime Platinum status but with COVID, no business travel, and vacations that don't allow Marriott stays for the rest of the year, she's still 15 nights short to re-qualify for Platinum this year. We have been using the personal Chase Marriott card and getting 1 night per $3k but wont' be able to charge $45k in the next 3 months. I'm trying to come up with ideas for the easiest and cheapest way to get those 15 nights and looking for ideas I missed and pros and cons of each idea:
  1. Call up local Marriott brand hotel and ask to speak with manager. Explain that wife needs 15 nights for lifetime status and ask what's the cheapest rate they can give for 15 nights (in any increment that works for them). Explain that we will not use the room or even enter it so no cleaning or other fees involved other than credit card fee. I was hoping to get $50 a night but no idea if that is realistic or if any hotel would even go for this option (was going to try local Townplace Suites, Courtyard, or Residence Inn). Standard rates are usually $120 ish.
  2. Use miles to book cheapest award possible in the area. Around here that is about 50k for 5 nights (with Plat bonus). We have no intention of staying but seems like decent use of points (have 800k in account). This would be 150k points. Not sure if it's best to do all as one or 3 separate 5 night awards. We don't plan on using the room so don't want them to think it's abandoned.
  3. Use points for a Cat 1 hotel somewhere else. I see they have a Cat 1 in Bakersfiled, CA that would charge 93k total points for 15 nights. The problem is that we're in NJ so nowhere near Bakersfield. Wife is going to LA in 2 weeks but it's 2.5 hour drive each way and hard to convince her to do this. Also not sure if hotel would have issue with "abandoned" room. If we could check-in online and check-out online 15 days later this would be perfect (assuming no abandoned room issue). Anyone ever done this? Again, I could call hotel manager and explain and see what they say.
  4. Apply for Marriott business card which is from AMEX. This claims to offer 15 elite qualifying nights and I assume they would appear in the next 3 months. This is probably the easiest choice since it only requires clicking a few buttons online and no credit issues so should be approved for card. Not sure if AMEX would switch her "personal" account to a "business" account or if it would cause problems with her personal AMEX card (that she doesn't use very often). From what I read here these 15 nights combine with the Chase personal card that gives 15 nights for a total of 30 nights. We would just cancel the card next year since we only needed it now for the 15 nights. Fee is $125 a year.

Any other options that I am missing? Any pros and cons for my ideas? All help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2, 21, 7:03 pm

4. Amex business card is the fastest and cheapest and the elite nights should credit fairly fast.

on another note because you mentioned “requalify” for platinum… which means you got the 25 night head start this year plus 15 for your current card = 40 nights… so you only need 10 nights?

on another another note, are you sure you received your current year platinum status year with the whole lifetime year fiasco (in another thread). Maybe you don’t need another year this year and if you need 15 nights, you will get it through your personal card next year anyways and become lifetime platinum.
SPN Lifer and rmc1 like this.
Old Sep 2, 21, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

OK, apparently I am officially an idiot. My wife has been Titanium Elite for the last few years so I keep thinking that she needs to get 75 nights to get Titanium. However, I just realized with myperks' comments that in order to qualify for lifetime Platinum, you only need 10 years of Platinum or higher status. She's currently at 56 nights right now so she already has Platinum for this year so when January rolls around (actually March since they are slow), she will roll forward to 10 year as Platinum or higher already so there's nothing we need to do!

OK, I'm glad I posted this here because I'm obviously not thinking correctly. Now I can switch all our spend to the United card and try getting her United status higher by end of year. Thanks for the assistance!
Old Sep 2, 21, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by rmc1 View Post
4. Apply for Marriott business card which is from AMEX. This claims to offer 15 elite qualifying nights and I assume they would appear in the next 3 months. This is probably the easiest choice since it only requires clicking a few buttons online and no credit issues so should be approved for card. Not sure if AMEX would switch her "personal" account to a "business" account or if it would cause problems with her personal AMEX card (that she doesn't use very often). From what I read here these 15 nights combine with the Chase personal card that gives 15 nights for a total of 30 nights. We would just cancel the card next year since we only needed it now for the 15 nights. Fee is $125 a year.
I understand there is no further need for this info (unless, like my family, after one spouse earning lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite status, it is time for the other to do so), but AmEx will not convert a personal card to a business card. In such circumstances one needs to apply for a new business card.
Old Sep 3, 21, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
o when January rolls around (actually March since they are slow), she will roll forward to 10 year as Platinum or higher already so there's nothing we need to do!
You are correct in that your wife should already have the 10 years and there is nothing to do.

You are incorrect in assuming that in January, March or at any time between now and 2050, Marriott will be fixing the elite years counter so that people who have actually done 10 Platinum years receive their LT Platinum...
Old Sep 3, 21, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You are correct in that your wife should already have the 10 years and there is nothing to do.

You are incorrect in assuming that in January, March or at any time between now and 2050, Marriott will be fixing the elite years counter so that people who have actually done 10 Platinum years receive their LT Platinum...
Oh believe me, that is a battle I fought and lost. I have screen shot showing in 2020 it moved from 8 lifetime years to 9 but in 2021 it did not move to 10. I escalated and they spent 2 months "examining the system" and said they are right. Of course, she noted that "As of Dec 2018 it shows 7 lifetime years." I explained that is exactly correct, as in March 2019 it moved to 8, March 2020 to 9, and March 2021 it should have moved to 10. The logic fell on deaf ears and they said no, their calculations are correct. So, with all that documented, I'm hoping it won't be such a pain to hit 10 in 2022.

Craigthemif - what I meant was that AMEX hopefully has no problem with a person having both personal and business cards. She has that at Chase but it was weird as they somehow "converted" her account to a business account as when she logs into Chase her screens look different than mine. Everything works the same but it's just odd that her screens and layout are different since she's a "business" customer.
Old Sep 3, 21, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
AMEX hopefully has no problem with a person having both personal and business cards.
AmEx has no such issues with their website.

My wife and I have had a no-fee Hilton AmEx for over two decades.

We each got a Marriott Bonv°y Business AmEx during the second half of 2020 and nothing changed for us on the AmEx website except that we have two accounts to select from and access, and can set one of them as our "preferred" account to display first.
margarita girl and rmc1 like this.
Old Sep 3, 21, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

OK, apparently I am officially an idiot. My wife has been Titanium Elite for the last few years so I keep thinking that she needs to get 75 nights to get Titanium. However, I just realized with myperks' comments that in order to qualify for lifetime Platinum, you only need 10 years of Platinum or higher status. She's currently at 56 nights right now so she already has Platinum for this year so when January rolls around (actually March since they are slow), she will roll forward to 10 year as Platinum or higher already so there's nothing we need to do!

OK, I'm glad I posted this here because I'm obviously not thinking correctly. Now I can switch all our spend to the United card and try getting her United status higher by end of year. Thanks for the assistance!
Hello

I might be even a bigger idiot, but it is not 10 years Platinum Elite status + 600 lifetime nights to gain Lifetime Platinum Elite?

I am just wondering as your posts refer to 10 years of elite status, but not to the lifetime nights requirement.

Cheers
D
Old Sep 3, 21, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Hello

I might be even a bigger idiot, but it is not 10 years Platinum Elite status + 600 lifetime nights to gain Lifetime Platinum Elite?

I am just wondering as your posts refer to 10 years of elite status, but not to the lifetime nights requirement.

Cheers
D
It's somewhat rare to accumulate 10 years of Platinum but not have passed 600 nights. (possble for sure, but not common) The general assumption is that the OP's night target has been met, with the missing element being the 10th year.

The problem, however, is that everybody's night count continues to increase more or less correctly, but the Platinum year counter remains stuck for a huge number of members.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 21, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the most shocking learning from this post is that there is cat 1 in california
rmc1, nexus7556, pbd456 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 21, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It's somewhat rare to accumulate 10 years of Platinum but not have passed 600 nights. (possble for sure, but not common) The general assumption is that the OP's night target has been met, with the missing element being the 10th year.

The problem, however, is that everybody's night count continues to increase more or less correctly, but the Platinum year counter remains stuck for a huge number of members.
Got it, thanks - I can report 11 years of Platinum with 594 nights (and I'll make 601 nights by December, Covid permitting) - and my year counter is actually at 11 years

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 21, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Hello
D
Yeah, I failed to mention she's already at 800+ nights so just missing the 10 years as Platinum Elite or higher which is at 9.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 21, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I would disagree. SPG Plat was always 25 stays (later called PlatMinus) or 50 nights. In fact, when SPG started offering lifetime Plat at 500 nights and ten years Plat status, a lot of folks achieved 500 nights long after their ten years of Plat status. This could be somewhat of a FT phenomenon as some people deliberately set out to earn SPG Plat on the basis of stays rather than nights, but there could be a lot of business travelers who do a lot of one night stands stays.
Old Sep 3, 21, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I would disagree. SPG Plat was always 25 stays (later called PlatMinus) or 50 nights. In fact, when SPG started offering lifetime Plat at 500 nights and ten years Plat status, a lot of folks achieved 500 nights long after their ten years of Plat status. This could be somewhat of a FT phenomenon as some people deliberately set out to earn SPG Plat on the basis of stays rather than nights, but there could be a lot of business travelers who do a lot of one night stands stays.
I used to do this when I traveled for work and was getting Hilton status. There was a Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn literally across the street near the site I'd visit. I'd change between them each day to maximize my stays (could easily get 4 stays in a week). The only downside was trying to remember which hotel to go to and having luggage in the car every day.
Old Sep 4, 21, 9:37 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
More shockingly, i spent 16 nights there with 3 set of 5 nights and 1 paid night this year for a total cost of 64000 points + 104 USD for 32 elite qualifying nights in that hotel.
rmc1 likes this.

Search this Thread